I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

This is a discussion on I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by slidewayz240 Yes. Loaded, round in the chamber... everything... with no CCW? God bless you....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    Yes. Loaded, round in the chamber... everything...
    with no CCW? God bless you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    with no CCW? God bless you.

Merica

Merica
    ok, you are right about SC law.

But I have not seen the same mention of "gun can be loaded", in the NRA's discussion of FL law.

it may indeed be illegal for a non-CCW to carry his handgun loaded in the glove compartment.

There are some 18 year olds more mature then 48 year olds.. Just remember after you pull the trigger it isn't come back.. I usually am more passive when carrying, No road rage, no arguing ect.... try to avoid all situations and walk away. I dont know the flordia laws

ok, you are right about SC law.

But I have not seen the same mention of "gun can be loaded", in the NRA's discussion of FL law.

it may indeed be illegal for a non-CCW to carry his handgun loaded in the glove compartment.
    As mentioned before by another poster

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not
    a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon
    for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the
    firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
    Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
    conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed
    to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be
    liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons,
    including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    He can legally possess it in his vehicle as long as it is encased, a center console or glove box will suffice. It does not say that it has to be unloaded therefore it is not illegal.

As mentioned before by another poster

He can legally possess it in his vehicle as long as it is encased, a center console or glove box will suffice. It does not say that it has to be unloaded therefore it is not illegal.
    error by omission may not stand up in court.

if I was this guy, I would call the State Police.

Thats how it works in PA.. And in NJ you better have a permit, theres a guy now might do 3 years because he crossed into jersey from PA ..

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Thats how it works in PA.. And in NJ you better have a permit, theres a guy now might do 3 years because he crossed into jersey from PA ..
    nobody goes to jail for simply passing through another state.

even in evil NYC, one can travel through with a gun thats not licensed here. hell, you can even pass through NYC with an "assault weapon".

but you must stay for no more than 24 hours.

when I hear 18 year old males wanting to keep a loaded hangun in their glove compartment WITHOUT a concealed carry permit, I worry.

I worry a lot.

Its one thing to want to carry your legally owned handgun locked in the trunk, unloaded, with the ammo in a backpack in the backseat, as you drive to the gunrange.

Its a WHOLE other story to want to keep that gun loaded, in the glove compartment, as one drives around Florida, without a CCW.

yes, that is a scary thought. I don't know this kid but I prefer he not go to prison...or the afterlife.
    I guess our 18 year old soldiers must freak you out.
    lyz_grace and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I guess our 18 year old soldiers must freak you out.
    they are thoroughly trained, thoroughly evaluated and analyzed, thoroughly supervised with the runts who can't hack the responsibility or the discipline, sent home.

next strawman?

VIP Member
    ok, let's assume this guy is more mature than the average 18 year old guy.

is it NOT illegal for someone without a CCW to transport a loaded firearm in a glove compartment, during regular travels?

from what I understand, folks without a concealed-carry permit (such as myself), can only transport a firearm between home and a range, or home and somewhere else where we plan on using the gun, with the gun locked and unloaded in the trunk and all ammo in a different location.

am i wrong about this?
    Yes, the answer is very very state specific. Some states allow unlicensed car carry without the restrictions and qualifications
    you mentioned.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

ok, let's assume this guy is more mature than the average 18 year old guy.

is it NOT illegal for someone without a CCW to transport a loaded firearm in a glove compartment, during regular travels?

from what I understand, folks without a concealed-carry permit (such as myself), can only transport a firearm between home and a range, or home and somewhere else where we plan on using the gun, with the gun locked and unloaded in the trunk and all ammo in a different location.

am i wrong about this?
    In Texas anybody that can legally own a handgun can carry a loaded concealed firearm in their vehicle without a concealed carry license,Texas also issues CHL licenses to 18 or older if they are in the military.
    Sounds like living in a City that not only steps all over peoples rights but tries to restrict them more everyday makes you forget there is a reason why we fought the British and gained our independence.Bloomberg must be a descendent of Lord Cornwall and seems to fiorget we have a Constitution
    OldVet and mprp like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pythius, please, I respect your views, but if you are going to make assumptions and not read the whole discussion, stop. There is no omission in our law in this subject, it is clear, in fact, it has already been posted in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    790.001 (17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Note that glove boxes, etc. need only be closed--not latched or locked. The essense of the statute is that you have to open some sort of container to access the firearm, be it a zippered case, snapped holster, or any other "container" that has to be "opened." There is no requirement for the firearm to be unloaded.
    Yep, loaded, chambered round, all that stuff we do to protect ourselves. As was stated before, and as can be found in FL statutes, private conveyance is an extension of the home, so with the exception of actually having it in our waistband or in our hand, we can do with it pretty much as we see fit.
    Last edited by FLArmadillo; October 16th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    darbo likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...Sounds like living in a City that not only steps all over peoples rights but tries to restrict them more everyday makes you forget there is a reason why we fought the British and gained our independence. Bloomberg must be a descendent of Lord Cornwall and seems to fiorget we have a Constitution
    politics not needed, thanks.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ok, Charleston. ;)

Florida law:

It is lawful to possess a concealed firearm for self-defense or other lawful purposes within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
    790.25:
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

As I've posted before, securely encased is defined as in a snapped holster, a "closed" glovebox or console compartment, a zipped case, a box, or practically anything else that that requires it to be opened. It cannot be openly displayed, nor can it be "on the person" without a permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links