I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

This is a discussion on I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been waiting patiently to turn 21 so I can get my conceal carry permit, but I've recently heard a lot about 18 year olds ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

I've been waiting patiently to turn 21 so I can get my conceal carry permit, but I've recently heard a lot about 18 year olds in Florida being able to conceal a gun in their car as long as it's in a glovebox or something like that. I asked my father, who owns a LARGE gun business and even he hasn't heard of this. We called a few LEOs that we know and they confirmed it as true. Since this sounds so weird to both of us, I want to ask you guys just to be 100% positive It's alright.

I'm 18, and I own a S&W M&P 9mm. Can I legally keep this in my glovebox (of course i'd put my registration and all that somewhere else ).

If the answer is yes... What would happen in the event I had to use it?(god forbid). Can I not leave my car with it, or what? I understand I cant carry the gun out of my car, so if someone was doing something and I felt threatened for my life, would I have to run and sit in my car in order to use the gun? I just need some clarification on this whole law..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it is legal for you to be in possession of the firearm you can carry it in the car as long as it is encased, not readily viewable, and not immediately ready for fire. They say in an unlocked glove box meets the criteria for encased, but I'd talk with an attorney in Florida to make sure first.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Oops. "Car registration". Thought you meant for the gun.

VIP Member
    I have no idea if you can or not conceal carry a gun in your car at your age. Someone else will answer that for you.

HOWEVER--- before you do ANYTHING ELSE, before you do what you have in mind, get and AND READ:

"THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF VIOLENCE: What Every Young Man Needs to know about violence." The Little Black Book of Violence: What Every Young Man Needs to Know About Fighting: Lawrence A. Kane,Kris Wilder,Lt. Col. John R. Finch,Marc "Animal" MacYoung,Rory Miller: 9781594391293: Amazon.com: Books

When you get done reading that book, get and read, "The Gift of Fear."

Thanks for joining.
    Last edited by Bark'n; October 16th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Pythius likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hi if im correct you cannot have possesion o a handgun till ur 21 yrs. old. nyone old enough to carry one and has no concealed permit may carry one in the car but the gun must be in the glovebox ad ammo stored seperately ..... in a life and death situation u do what u have to do to save yourself or love one.
    Toorop likes this.

yes, why do you feel the need to keep a handgun in your car?

Section 790.25
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Most of the time, if you're in your vehicle your best bet is to use that vehicle and get out of the situation. Drive away, through a light if possible - whatever. My understanding is you can't exit your vehicle to use it, but I'm no lawyer and I've got my permit so I can't say 100% on that. I've also read news stories where people have been charged discharging a firearm from a moving vehicle - I'm not sure the whos and whats of that situation.

Flsenate Archive: Statutes & Constitution > View Statutes

Read the statutes my friend, they will save you jail time.

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Hi if im correct you cannot have possesion o a handgun till ur 21 yrs. old. nyone old enough to carry one and has no concealed permit may carry one in the car but the gun must be in the glovebox ad ammo stored seperately ..... in a life and death situation u do what u have to do to save yourself or love one.
    Incorrect. You just cannot buy a handgun from a dealer; private sale/gift/etc is fine (ridiculous). Ammo does not have to be stored separately. Florida law recognizes personal conveyance (your car) as an extension of your castle, so castle doctrine applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    yes, why do you feel the need to keep a handgun in your car?
    For the same reason we feel the need to carry on our body? Because it's his right to defend himself? IDK, because he likes balloons? None of our business.
    Last edited by Bark'n; October 16th, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Echo_Four, Lish, rigel42 and 4 others like this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

darbo likes this.

Thanx flarmadillo what i mentioned above was (well i know now) rumors down here in miami.

VIP Member
    Looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf it appears it is legal. While I trust the information on that website, I would still double check it with your issuing authority (Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services) to insure there haven't been any changes.

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
    790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
    (5) Possession in Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To add to FS 790.25, the statute on concealed vehicle carry, this is the statute definition of "securely encased":

790.001 (17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Note that glove boxes, etc. need only be closed--not latched or locked. The essense of the statute is that you have to open some sort of container to access the firearm, be it a zippered case, snapped holster, or any other "container" that has to be "opened." There is no requirement for the firearm to be unloaded.

You cannot conceal on your person without a CWFL. You must also use caution transporting the fiream from the house to vehicle, and vice-versa. It must be encased and unloaded at those times. The statute only allows you to conceal in a private conveyance--nowhere else!

I urge caution before carrying concealed for anyone, especially someone so young, as one might make make rash decisions that will affect you for a lifetime. Be safe; be careful.

There is no need to place your registration elsewhere. If stopped, simply advise the LEO that your registration is in your glovebox as well as your firearm. Ask him how he'd like you to proceed. You might consider keeping a copy of the "conveyence" statute and the state's definition of "securely encased" as many LEOs, like your father, are not aware of this legality. Rather than argue the point, should you run across one of these "less-informed" officers, show him the statutes and ask him to read them before things proceed too far.
    darbo, FLArmadillo and Lish like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by blakebcg View Post
    Thanks for all the references and links everyone! Really helpful

Jesus. I didn't mean to disturb the great oracle of the forums. What provoked THIS? You know not every single 18 year old is a criminal, right? I want a gun so I can defend myself from people who are ACTUALLY criminals.....
    have you frequently been the victim of crimes?

why do you feel your safety is at such risk that you need to carry a gun in your car?
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is that a serious question? Haven't been to FL lately, have you. Crime here doesn't discriminate by age.
    mprp likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by blakebcg View Post
    Thanks for all the references and links everyone! Really helpful

Jesus. I didn't mean to disturb the great oracle of the forums. What provoked THIS? You know not every single 18 year old is a criminal, right? I want a gun so I can defend myself from people who are ACTUALLY criminals. Just because I'm 18 and not 21, or 41, or 81, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to defend myself if I have to. I understand the system can be unfair and actually shooting someone will cost thousands in lawyer fees and could get you put in jail, but if it's a life or death situation, it's nice to be able to keep yourself alive. Isnt that why we're all members here? You cant tell me that isn't the truth.. I don't want a gun to rob a liquor store or whatever you think I'm going to do with it. I've been around guns my entire life, I know how to handle one, and on my 21st I'm getting a concealed permit.

Just because I'm not as old as other members on the board doesn't mean I'm a completely irresponsible delinquent.. The most trouble I've ever had with the law was for exceeding the speed limit, the only drug I've ever tried came out of a Keurig coffee maker and maybe some aspirin. I own my own business (a legal, registered business, mind you), I have my life set on the right path and I'm going to college for mechanical engineering. I also like long walks on the beach, firearms, and sleeping in on sunday.

Just because I'm not over the age of 35 doesn't mean I hate reading, I disrespect adults, I break the law, and get in fights. I feel like typing this is a waste of time because I shouldn't have to justify myself over an internet forum (or at all, for that matter), but I hate it when people who descriminate strictly because of age. A lot younger people may be loud and obnoxious and irresponsible, and I'm not saying I know everything about the world and I'm a saint, because I dont and I'm not, but I didnt sprout wings and fly out of hell either.
    While it was unfair of Hopyard to paint you with the same broad brush we older curmudgeons tend to paint all you young whippersnappers with, his book recommendations are EXTREMELY VALID... And the Gutmacher book recommended by OneSilverT is a good Idea, too.... I've heard that Gutmacher is the "GO TO GUY" regarding Fl law...

I might recommend another, the first one in my sig line.

And BTW, you seem pretty articulate for a winged demon from the netherworld... so... welcome aboard... Some of the gargoyles here are real.... so watch yourself... and again, welcome.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links