trip to gas station got ugly fast! - Page 3

trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This is a discussion on trip to gas station got ugly fast! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm impressed that you had the presence of mind to delay the draw and execute plan B in cold- cocking him. I'm sure this all ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: trip to gas station got ugly fast!

I'm impressed that you had the presence of mind to delay the draw and execute plan B in cold- cocking him. I'm sure this all took place in a blink or two of an eye. I only hope that if I am ever confronted with a self defense situation, that I could be as clear thinking as you. Training, training, training. Glad you and the kids are safe.

VIP Member
    I'm glad things worked out. Great job ending it. I'll never for the life of me understand why these gas stations allow people to loiter on their premises. I won't buy gas at places with guys just hanging around outside.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Lol I can truly say you are correct... however I filled up that day before

This goes to show how things can turn on a dime, and how being prepared and ready to act can afford you more options.

Had the situation with the clerk coming out and distracting him, not occurred, I would have shot him. I believe you had the same intentions.

However, the events changed in an instant which afforded you the opportunity for a different outcome. It worked. As it turned out, it was the best course of action.

People just need to know, each situation is unique unto each individual experiencing the event. You are 6'1" @ 245 lbs. A person who is 5'5" and tipping the scales at 140 lbs may not have gotten the same results as you did being faced with the exact same series of events.

A lethal force response was definitely justified at the point the knife came out. Due to his close proximity to you at the time, the fact that he was distracted by the clerk (and averted his attention) does not lessen the lethal threat. Had you continued with your original response and shot him, you would have still been justified.

However, because of your size and physical build, coupled with having confidence in your abilities allowed a different successful outcome. Good Job! You cleaned his clock, ended the threat, and became a hero in the eyes of your kids. You certainly can't argue with that! Congrats!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I truly did have the intention on shooting him and indeed I would have, the thoughts I've had laying here like what if he did get the upper hand and drove off with my kids??? I'm truly blessed to have my family safe. Looking back I still feel my choice was correct for the moment.
    Thank you all btw for the support

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    How did you handle the cops when they showed up? I don't think I would have disarmed till the BG was in handcuffs. So did they cuff him first or start asking questions first? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks first for being prepared, and second for being here to tell your side of the story. DR
    goldshellback likes this.

Glad for you, VERY glad for the kids. Glad for scummy, too. Clearly not functioning properly and may now get the help he so desperately needs. A 2nd chance he had all but screwed himself out of.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

The police where very laid back they arrived and called amr they question myself the clerk and a couple people in the parking lot. One of the office looked right at me and said "surprised you didn't shoot him I would have" other than that very easy process
    darbo, Bark'n and tcox4freedom like this.

Sounds like you handled the situation very well. I'm all for a non lethal approach, as long as it's possible.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Great job from a fellow Coloradoan!

For curiousity, which part of Pueblo did this happen?

Just as easily could have been me based on some of my recent encounters...

Belmont area

All I know is I grew up in pueblo I love it here and it's killing me to watch my home town slowly go down the toilet

good job! i'm glad that you and your family are safe and sound.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Great job!

Had about the same thing happen , when stopped at a burger joint I and my grandkids like to go to. About the same, really...... he got angry.... told me "you are going to give me YOUR MONEY" , as he went with his hand into his pocket for what was the clear outline of a knife. It had just turned into a robbery. Demand for money with a threat and going for a weapon.

My grandkids did exactly what they were told to do in such a circumstance. Both of them took cover on the other side of the car, and granddaughter had her cell phone out with 911 dialed.

In my situation .... I was not in a distance to clock him (10 ft), and he was facing me. So, my solution was different. I took a stance, put my hand on my gun under my shirt...... and explained very loudly and clearly...... "that hand better not leave your pocket or you are going to have the worse day of your life"....... at which point we were staring eye to eye with each other as he sized me up to decide if he thought I meant it.

Me : "I'm not giving you anything, now ...... keep your hand in your pocket and back away .... slooooooowly" .

He did and backed away ... while cussing and calling me every name he could think of....... (boy was he mad) , but he kept that hand in that pocket and knew it was wise not to pull it out with a knife in his hand.
    Fisher10, darbo, Bark'n and 3 others like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links