trip to gas station got ugly fast! - Page 4

trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This is a discussion on trip to gas station got ugly fast! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This whole situation's a good example to us all, of how quickly things can turn ugly and deadly. All it takes is willingness on the ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This whole situation's a good example to us all, of how quickly things can turn ugly and deadly. All it takes is willingness on the part of an assailant. Paired with proximity and a weapon, it can be deadly in a second. Shows how important it can be to keep an eye on such individuals who are seen loitering around, particularly when we've got other things requiring our attention (like tending to children).

Sounds like you did right. I, too, don't want to take a life, if it can be avoided. It would be a bummer to have the young kids witness an attempted murder and putting down of a person.

The little twerp's lucky he didn't end up dead, or with broken arms, legs, face, etc. Though, hopefully he'll have time to contemplate his misdeeds in the "can" for a few years.

Be sure to push hard for charges of assault with a deadly weapon. Hopefully the DA doesn't have his/her head in the wrong place, on this question. You've got the clerk's testimony, possibly also video, and the idiot's knife in his own hands.

Warning on divulging info such as use of debit cards. First, no stranger needs to know your financial habits, much less specifically what you're carrying on you. As well, keep in mind that those little things (cards) can generally be used without ID check, without entry of zipcode or other confirming info. In short, they're nearly as good as cash.

Good job. Glad your family is okay.
    Bark'n and tcox4freedom like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

jbonfadini, your story was the first thing I read this morning and it made my day already.

I don't think that could have worked out any better under the circumstances.

I travel a lot for work (I'm sleeping in a hotel 2 nights this week) and I try to always maintain my situational awareness; stories like yours are a very effective reminder.

Thanks for sharing, congratulations on a job well done sir.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. I'm not getting within clobbering distance of a guy with a knife. I have neither the speed, size, nor agility to hands on anymore. If it had happened to me, the kids would have had a graphic lessons in armed self defence.
    There is an increasing number of people in this category, these days, and we are not getting any younger.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Like OldVet, I'm not getting into knife range. He pulls a knife, I'm going to put perforation holes in him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks again for the support guys, I lay in bed for a few hours last night pondering all of the "what ifs" I plan on charges also myself and the clerk told police we are willing to go to court

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Like OldVet, I'm not getting into knife range. He pulls a knife, I'm going to put perforation holes in him.
    I hear that. I'm reasonably mobile for 70. 5'-8", 163 lbs, work out 6 days a week, walk a couple of miles every day, but someone comes at me with a knife, I'm going to have to turn it into a gunfight. That's why I go to the considerable trouble to carry. Little old men like me won't fight, they'll just shoot you. Young big guys have more options.

To the OP:

Very well done sir. I can't think of a single thing you could have done better.

Being able to spare your kids the sight of a probable violent death with blood back spatter, noise, police, paramedics, ambulences, possible PTSD for you, stress and strain for the rest of your family and relatives, and all a shooting entails because of your SA and physical condition was the gift of an extraordinary Dad to his children, to his family.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Thankyou

Great job brother. You protected the younguns and managed to spare them the trauma of watching daddy having to double tap a scumbag at the same time. You da man!
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I hear that. I'm reasonably mobile for 70. 5'-8", 163 lbs, work out 6 days a week, walk a couple of miles every day, but someone comes at me with a knife, I'm going to have to turn it into a gunfight. That's why I go to the considerable trouble to carry. Little old men like me won't fight, they'll just shoot you. Young big guys have more options.

To the OP:

Very well done sir. I can't think of a single thing you could have done better.

Being able to spare your kids the sight of a probable violent death with blood back spatter, noise, police, paramedics, ambulences, possible PTSD for you, stress and strain for the rest of your family and relatives, and all a shooting entails because of your SA and physical condition was the gift of an extraordinary Dad to his children, to his family.

Fitch
    Folk, be prepared to do it the OP's way, or with some other H2H. You may never get a chance to use the gun if things are moving very fast. You'll get the choice of blocking the stab OR going for the gun, not necessarily both and not
    necessarily always the gun.

Time, space, and distance always enter the equation.

Find a friend and practice scenarios with toy knives and toy guns. You'll be surprised at how useless a handgun can be at
    very close range.

Well handled OP.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Based on the story posted by the OP as well as the comment by Eagleks about his encounter at the burger joint, I just sent this email to my wife and copied and pasted the two encounters for her to read:

"I read a website forum of concealed carry folks and sometimes there are incidents that are posted. Two popped up this morning and are good examples of things to watch out for.... Unfortunately it's getting to a point that if you pull up at a convenience store for gas or to go inside and see someone loitering, it may be best to just pull away and go somewhere else... These are just folks out with their kids and grandkids reporting these incidents."

I just got my carry permit in August and my wife has been supportive, but also wondered "why?". She is very aware of increased violence, etc, and while she isn't too fond of pistols, she has no issue with me carrying. These types of reported incidents help in "explaining" without me just spewing statistics and similar data.

Glad to hear that this incident ended with the bad guy on the ground and the intended victim and his family safe.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Glad to hear that things turned out well for you and your family. Fortunately up here in Denver I have the option to go to a different gas station or convenience store if someone is loitering or peddling. In the 3 years I've lived here, I've been a witness to 2 separate robberies at gas stations that played out exactly like yours. Both took place betwen 4-5PM in broad daylight; both times the BG had a handgun and got away. I really wish I could carry to and from work.

jbon...

Glad it all worked out...

Happy the kids didn't have to see the aftermath of a knife and gun fight...

I don't know if I'da been able to drop him with a punch...

Looking at the details:

Distraction of the clerk bought extra time for you to react, and you were already creating distance by backing off...

Distance and/or space=time...

You had to make up (re-lose) that time by going in with hands... closing the distance again....

You were lucky, IMO... especially from MY perspective... I've got two bad shoulders. My response would have been what the cop inferred... I might not have had to shoot him... but he would have been at gunpoint until LEO arrived.

What I'm taking away is this... If I have the distraction of the clerk to work with... I have more time to draw my weapon. He is now 9 feet, more or less (3' + the 6 or 7 you backed up), away from me... not really enough... especially given Tueller drill exercises.

I'm likely to get cut... even if I shoot him... and as soon as his attention is back on me... he'd better see the gun leveled at him and quit the fight... the moment (if) his momentum changes toward me... he's shot... I only hope it's enough to "discourage" him sufficiently.

If I don't have the clerk's distracting move... My gun is at 4:00 or so... If he thinks I'm going for my wallet, it may be enough of a distraction for Pavlov's dog to think he's gonna get what he wants... and so, there may be enough time to "present arms"...

That's my take away... yours may be different.... we are all individuals with some limitations... mine tell me this is the course of action I might have taken... I surely wouldn't have gone for any less lethal option... fists, pepper spray, or knife.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Excellent SA! Glad you were able to take advantage of his error and deal with it in a way that was less traumatizing to your little ones. Like others I would probably have just shot him, but I'm nowhere near as in shape as I used to be.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Folk, be prepared to do it the OP's way, or with some other H2H. You may never get a chance to use the gun if things are moving very fast. You'll get the choice of blocking the stab OR going for the gun, not necessarily both and not
    necessarily always the gun.

Time, space, and distance always enter the equation.

Find a friend and practice scenarios with toy knives and toy guns. You'll be surprised at how useless a handgun can be at
    very close range.

Well handled OP.
    At my age and in my physical condition, that's like telling me I can still prepare to be a first-string NFL lineman with a little practice. Not gonna happen. For those who can that's great; for those who no longer can, there are alternatives.
    WHEC724, Fitch and Poseidon like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Well done, sir. I make my living with my hands and try not to damage them. I use tools. I once "punched" a guy in the forehead with the barrel of my .45. A jail Deputy told me the mark lingered long after the one in his shorts was gone.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links