trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This is a discussion on trip to gas station got ugly fast! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fitch .... but someone comes at me with a knife, I'm going to have to turn it into a gunfight....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: trip to gas station got ugly fast!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    .... but someone comes at me with a knife, I'm going to have to turn it into a gunfight.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Love that scene!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Folk, be prepared to do it the OP's way, or with some other H2H. You may never get a chance to use the gun if things are moving very fast. You'll get the choice of blocking the stab OR going for the gun, not necessarily both and not
    necessarily always the gun.

Time, space, and distance always enter the equation.

Find a friend and practice scenarios with toy knives and toy guns. You'll be surprised at how useless a handgun can be at
    very close range.

Well handled OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    At my age and in my physical condition, that's like telling me I can still prepare to be a first-string NFL lineman with a little practice. Not gonna happen. For those who can that's great; for those who no longer can, there are alternatives.
    'Two very good opposing opinions. One size does not fit all.
    Hopyard likes this.

That certainly is one scary situation! I'm glad you and your kids are safe! I think you handled it great!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    You did a great job of handling the situation.

This just goes to show you, that you can be confronted by an evil threat at any time...even at 9:30am while getting eggs...Always be prepared.
    Well done

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The one time I found myself up-close to a knife wielding man (doing security work) I punched him in the chest with my off hand while backing away and drawing on him. The 21 foot rule is fine if the assailant is running at you but can be modified from much closer distances if you can both move off the X in different directions.

I bet the Q&A session at your kids' school "violence is never the answer" assembly won't go as planned.
    tessa likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I weighed out my options today as I drank my coffee. Shooting would not have been a good choice for the following reason one he turned his back, I know his intentions were still violent however rule of thumb no longer a threat, a jury full of gun haters would have ate that up reason two very skinny man and I was carrying 230g critical defence over penetration could have been a concern the store clerk was not far behind him. I think back while looking at me swollen hand I hit him so Damn hard I'm surprise he lived! Oh well dirt back 0 daddy 1 lol thanks againall for your support .....
    Fyi my wife who also carries laughed and said "I would have double tapped him" god I love her!
    darbo and wraithls1 like this.

At 9:30 am, I myself would prefer the eggs for breakfast. I guess some would rather order up a loaded serving of knuckle sandwich. How'd it taste scumbag? Collecting aluminum cans or filling out job applications tends to be a lot less painful.

OP, great job! The best stories are the ones that all of the kids are ok and the GG didn't go to jail or get hurt. I don't think this guy will ever comprehend how lucky he is to be alive, especially when he put someone in a position to legally use deadly force, but just chose not to in a split second decision. Good on ya sir!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

You made a good choice. Bravo.

The only other thing I can think of doing would be to pistol whip him. But your fist seemed to do a pretty good job.

You did well taking care of your family, I have little ones as well and know how fiercely I would fight to keep some skinny meth head from hurting them.

I would die tomorrow for my family and they all know it! Thanks again Im glad to see my actions are approved of

Distinguished Member
    One of the best things about this thread is that it shows that you must be prepared AT ALL TIMES as you never know when, or where, something will happen. Better to have the means to deal with a threat than to wish you did as it is unfolding.
    Poseidon and Hopyard like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

i am glad you and your family were alright. the choice of me protecting my family and the one i care about will always be the right choice no matter what i have to do to accomplish that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The one time I found myself up-close to a knife wielding man (doing security work) I punched him in the chest with my off hand while backing away and drawing on him. The 21 foot rule is fine if the assailant is running at you but can be modified from much closer distances if you can both move off the X in different directions.

I bet the Q&A session at your kids' school "violence is never the answer" assembly won't go as planned.
    Good, and glad you came out OK and not cut. Out of curiosity and NOT to start the OC CC fights going again, would that
    move have worked for you with --pocket carry? smart carry? shoulder carry? ankle carry? or with any form of carry other than on your strong side hip, be that outside or inside the belt?

Also out of curiosity, did you have any type of striking device you might have used to strike his knife hand and face?

I'm mentally trying to imagine the same scene but from the perspective of a CC person who is not working security and is therefore taken by surprise as the OP was.

Also, just trying to think stuff out in my imagination, what would have happened if he rotated as you punched toward his chest? Do you think you would have fallen forward? Would you have accidentally have put yourself in a position
    in which you were literally handing him the gun from your strong side hand?

Please, I'm not intending to be critical. It worked for you. I am just trying to imagine possible various real world outcomes and counters. I like to play with these scenes in my mind and at the gym.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

hbc
    It's great that your kids will know that their dad's there to protect them. Good on ya!

Links