trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This is a discussion on trip to gas station got ugly fast! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right hook... it will do. That's my signature punch, usually followed by a left upper....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: trip to gas station got ugly fast!

Right hook... it will do. That's my signature punch, usually followed by a left upper.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

For those who say "They would never let a guy with a knife get close enough to them to go hand-to-hand," I would just point out, the attacker was already at contact distance when the knife came out.

No matter what you think about your situational awareness skills, people are always going to be able to get close to you.

This started out as a routine pan-handler with a guy who was loitering outside a store, and asking other people for money, then came up and approached the OP for money. When he was denied, it was at that point the knife came out and it became a robbery.

I pass within 1 & 2 feet from loiterers outside convenience stores all the time. I'm sure all of you do too. They practically block the door, so there is no way I'm gonna buy a blanket statement that there's no way you'd let a guy with a knife get close to you.

You better come to the realization that no matter what you do, and no matter how good your situational awareness is... people are going to get close to you. No one gives every single stranger out on the street a 30 foot wide berth. It's not practical.

So, the bottom line is, don't delude yourself, that you're going to pick out every single bad guy with enough space between you that you have plenty of time to get to your gun.

Most knife wielders don't approach you with their knife out, from across the parking lot. They use some innocuous excuse to get real close to you, and then the knife comes out.

The good guy is almost always operating from behind the curve. We have to wait until some stimulus prompts us to respond in an appropriate way. Our situational awareness and ability to "read" behavior and read those "pre-assault cues" is what allows us to respond in a quick and decisive way to overcome a perceived threat when it does manifest itself into a real threat.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. I'm not getting within clobbering distance of a guy with a knife. I have neither the speed, size, nor agility to hands on anymore. If it had happened to me, the kids would have had a graphic lessons in armed self defence.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To OP.

I will not condemn your actions as they served you well, and saved a lot of possible grief.
    You are younger,larger and quicker than some or most.
    My youngest is 8.5 .
    If I was forced to shoot
    he would have been told that the bad man daddy just shot was threatening our lives with a deadly weapon.

Diversions are a great thing, something I will try to do when in a situation such as yours.
    But it must be quick, with flawless timing, and your plan, whether drawing, OC spraying or a smack down better be immediate.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

To the OP: Congrats on the outcome based on the choice YOU made for your particular situation/scenario. Glad you and boys safely went home to spouse/mom.

Now, as others have alluded, what would have happened, had the homeless man been 6'1", 245 lbs (your size) and you would have been 5'5", 120 lbs (his size). Would your choice still have been to cease the draw and take that right hook swing when he was distracted by the clerk? Would it have been the same if you were a 5'5" muscle builder redneck? Would it have been your choice IF you were martial arts trained? If your choice in actions would not have been the same in this scenario, why not?

I'm truly not a blood hungry jerk here, but, if MY life, and the lives of my loved ones are threatened by someone pulling a knife and demanding my money, then I don't believe I would have ceased my draw and chosen to go hands on, regardless as to whether or not I was twice his size, younger than him, older than him, etc.

When the BG makes the choice that this one made, YOU and ALL of us have to have determined, ahead of time, in our on minds, that we are prepared to defend our lives and "sTOP THE THREAT"...I would almost be willing to guess that you too, had the time, before the clerk yelled, to finish your draw and "stop the threat".

YOUR choice worked out well for you...but at my age and size would have been a "non" choice. I tend to function under the "three E's"...Escape, Evade, Engage...From the description in your scenario, it appears the first two E's were eliminated early by the presence of your children, therefore, only ENGAGE remained.

Certainly a good scenario for ALL of us to play out in our minds, and determine "Would my choice have been the same as the OP's IF my wife, children, grandchildren, had been accompanying me?

I would have engaged, without question...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by jbonfadini View Post
    Out of all of it what amazes me this happened at 930 in the morning ...... can't even buy eggs anymore Damn
    Never to early when they need a fix.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To OP.

I will not condemn your actions as they served you well, and saved a lot of possible grief.
    You are younger,larger and quicker than some or most.
    My youngest is 8.5 .
    If I was forced to shoot
    he would have been told that the bad man daddy just shot was threatening our lives with a deadly weapon.

Diversions are a great thing, something I will try to do when in a situation such as yours.
    But it must be quick, with flawless timing, and your plan, whether drawing, OC spraying or a smack down better be immediate.
    This is a situation where a throw down wallet might have solved lots of problems-- at least as far as diverting the BG
    from wanting to slice you.

I usually don't carry one, choose time and place, but I do have one with a whole bunch of useless cards stuffed in it to look like there are credit cards and atm cards and DL in there. I keep 20 bucks in it divided in various denominations, and it is weighted so it will travel a bit when tossed.

Oneshot, I think we had different forms of diversions in mind, you were referring to the store clerk, but you did remind me of the value of a throw down wallet. Thanks.
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Glad it worked out and you were able to prevail and teach that idiot a lesson. Well done!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Quick decisive cool headed action,well done!

To be honest I took the punch because of the size difference, if it was the other way around him being my size and me his..... I would have continued drawing my gun and used to clerk's distraction to steady my aim. If he turned saw a gun an ran away then so be it, if he pursued the fight he would have lost!

To be honest I took the punch because of the size difference, if it was the other way around him being my size and me his..... I would have continued drawing my gun and used to clerk's distraction to steady my aim. If he turned saw a gun an ran away then so be it, if he pursued the fight he would have lost!
    That's what I call a sound strategy.

It would have been foolish to have tried that if the size issue had been reversed.

Although I know several female law enforcement defensive trainers who are very petite and can literally whup butt on a 295 lb, 6'2" linebacker in unarmed hand-to-hand defense tactics, even they would opt to use deadly force against a 250+ lb thug wielding deadly weapon.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oh come on! The size difference makes it that much more fun! Some of the happiest moments I have had are when someone decided to attack me physically because of my size. I am only 5 foot 9 and weigh 165.

I am glad it worked out for you. I have always been one to choose my hands ( and feet) over the use of deadly force in many of the times I had the chance to shoot someone, but felt confident I could solve it another way.

No, that choice is not for everyone, as a matter of fact, there are really not that many people who would. Many people in fact, have never been in a physical altercation, and would crap their pants.

But you made the choice, and it worked. In life, rarely are things so cut and dry, sometimes you just have to go with it.
    Bark'n and Hopyard like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hmm, I don't know glockman. For some reason I pictured you being about the same size as an elephant. I don't know why.
    oneshot likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am glad you are well. This is why I would recommend always keeping a gun holstered and one in the car. Either way it sounds like you did just fine.

RKM
    NICE. You didn't have to kill anybody, and he learned his lesson. A great outcome in my mind.

This is the very reason that I now purchased a pistol and next week going to take a concealed carry permit class. I took a job 60 miles from home and due to getting off work at midnight and occasionally stopping for gas, I always felt uneasy being the only vehicle sitting at a convenience station.

As we read you posting we’ve had the opportunity to think about it, but you only had a couple seconds to decide what you were going to do. As many have already said, he’s one lucky dud considering the choices you had.
    Bark'n likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links