trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This is a discussion on trip to gas station got ugly fast! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't read the entire thread, but I wanted to ask if the original poster had any hand to hand training? And does he/she feel ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: trip to gas station got ugly fast!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I didn't read the entire thread, but I wanted to ask if the original poster had any hand to hand training? And does he/she feel it helped?
    jbonfadini likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Yes I have... former united states marine, ground fighting instructor and have studied krav for 5 years
    I'm not one to be scared to go hands on just has to be an moment where I know I'll come out on top
    Bark'n likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonfadini View Post
    Yes I have... former united states marine, ground fighting instructor and have studied krav for 5 years
    I'm not one to be scared to go hands on just has to be an moment where I know I'll come out on top
    I have been looking for a Krav Maga school near myself but it is a 50 mile round trip that I can't afford to make each week let alone 3 times a week. I am hoping to move and I found a great school near where I plan to move.

If you had been able to draw the gun rather than go hands on do you think you would have preferred that?

I could have pulled my gun had plenty of time, if he didn't turn around I would have

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    This situation is a perfect example for my sig line.

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

The OP dealt with it just fine. Good job.
    Fitch and Arborigine like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm glad the cops made it a good experience for you and the clerk! Its not always that way. Ive had a few shoulder and wrist injury's that would make it impossible for me to go hands on any more. That's why Ive started the process to carry again. I'm glad everything worked out for you and your family! It will probably be nearly a year before you are called to court. And be prepared for the scumbag to look much different all cleaned up for court. If the guy had any distinctive markings that wont change with a bath , haircut, and weight change, now would be the time to make note of them. His Attny will try to get you to say He doesn't look the same as the guy you saw that day. Good luck DR

Just a thought... and keep in mind I'm certainly not critiquing the way you handled the situation at all but for the sake of discussion... As I'm sure we all know the key to keeping oneself relatively safe is awareness of your surroundings. You obviously had good awareness, you knew the guy was out panhandling, but you waited patiently while he walked toward you, closing to within a distance small enough to make an edged weapon dangerous. There may have well been a reason it happened that way, but to share my thoughts on that... Once I know someone is approaching me, who has no business approaching me, which is pretty much anyone, especially if I'm out with my kids, I will point at them and say "Stop right there.." If they don't stop, I wil repeat, LOUD. Seems I always wind up yelling as people are just not used to being told what to do, but it gives you a little space to work with while determining the severity of threat if any...

And yeah probably none of the people i've yelled at were gonna rob me, and left thinking I was a psycho, but who cares...

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

I truly did have the intention on shooting him and indeed I would have, the thoughts I've had laying here like what if he did get the upper hand and drove off with my kids??? I'm truly blessed to have my family safe. Looking back I still feel my choice was correct for the moment.
    Thank you all btw for the support
    Pepper spray.

I'm very glad you were able to use non-lethal force...for his sake, your sake, and your kids.

I give you a great deal of credit for choosing that option.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    Just a thought... and keep in mind I'm certainly not critiquing the way you handled the situation at all but for the sake of discussion... As I'm sure we all know the key to keeping oneself relatively safe is awareness of your surroundings. You obviously had good awareness, you knew the guy was out panhandling, but you waited patiently while he walked toward you, closing to within a distance small enough to make an edged weapon dangerous. There may have well been a reason it happened that way, but to share my thoughts on that... Once I know someone is approaching me, who has no business approaching me, which is pretty much anyone, especially if I'm out with my kids, I will point at them and say "Stop right there.." If they don't stop, I wil repeat, LOUD. Seems I always wind up yelling as people are just not used to being told what to do, but it gives you a little space to work with while determining the severity of threat if any...

And yeah probably none of the people i've yelled at were gonna rob me, and left thinking I was a psycho, but who cares...

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
    Good luck keeping all panhandlers from approaching closer than 22 feet. Good luck passing them with the same distance.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Comments in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Good, and glad you came out OK and not cut. Out of curiosity and NOT to start the OC CC fights going again, would that
    move have worked for you with --pocket carry? smart carry? shoulder carry? ankle carry? or with any form of carry other than on your strong side hip, be that outside or inside the belt?

I think it would have worked for any carry that you can deploy while standing in a reasonable amount of time to OC.

Also out of curiosity, did you have any type of striking device you might have used to strike his knife hand and face?

I had a PR-24 "side handle baton" on my weak side in it's ring. Trying to deploy it when the guy suddenly drew and opened his folder at conversation distance would have been a mistake.

I'm mentally trying to imagine the same scene but from the perspective of a CC person who is not working security and is therefore taken by surprise as the OP was.

Also, just trying to think stuff out in my imagination, what would have happened if he rotated as you punched toward his chest? Do you think you would have fallen forward? Would you have accidentally have put yourself in a position
    in which you were literally handing him the gun from your strong side hand?

He was stumbling drunk and arguing with another man when I approached. I wasn't sure if the knife was for me or the other man since he was angled between us. I acted without thinking. Quick punch/shove with my off hand while drawing and stepping back. He never had a chance to go Bruce Lee on me.

Please, I'm not intending to be critical. It worked for you. I am just trying to imagine possible various real world outcomes and counters. I like to play with these scenes in my mind and at the gym.
    In retrospect I should have gone hands on and controlled the knife/arm.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Comments in bold.

In retrospect I should have gone hands on and controlled the knife/arm.
    Well with 100% 20/20 hindsight, you did exactly right; and didnt' get cut. Airslot's sig line says it all.
    Thanks for posting that. You gave me a couple of drills to try when I'm able to get back to the gym.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Good luck keeping all panhandlers from approaching closer than 22 feet. Good luck passing them with the same distance.
    I've found that a polite but firm "Sorry, can't help you out today" works fine. Usually get an "Okay, thanks" in return, never received a rude or angry reply. And we get a lot of "requests" here in FL.

Not downplaying the guy with the knife one bit, but last time I checked, a panhandler is entitled to that same 22 feet as I am. I wouldn't be too quick to start pulling out weapons and throwing karate chops without positive indication of the need to do so. In view of recent questionable SD events, I'd prefer to have the preponderance of evidence in my favor. Last thing I want the alleged BG to say is, "Officer, all I did was walk up to him and he chopped me in the neck and pulled a gun on me."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I'm glad things worked out. Great job ending it. I'll never for the life of me understand why these gas stations allow people to loiter on their premises. I won't buy gas at places with guys just hanging around outside.
    A lot of times, we can't even see them. But if we do, we try to run them off. It isn't easy, some of them don't take kindly to being told to get lost (not that we say it that way, but there is no good way to sugar coat it to me). If they pull a weapon then its on.

Lately it seems we have had less problem with this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I would die tomorrow for my family and they all know it! Thanks again Im glad to see my actions are approved of
    Can't help but have the old line from the movie "Patton" come to mind....

No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country.
    In college I studied Hapkido and got my brown belt, but today I have 2 knees almost as stiff as 2X4s, they are so bad every year I have a product called SYNVISC injected using a needle the size of a medium mechanical pencil lead run all the way into the ACLs and a rated loss of 25% of my right arm due to a full thickness tear of the rotator cuff; couldn't whip a 10 year old girl.
    Last edited by F350; October 18th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links