trip to gas station got ugly fast!

This is a discussion on trip to gas station got ugly fast! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Happypuppy I think you did the correct thing and I would have done the same. The problem in my view is disparity. ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: trip to gas station got ugly fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I think you did the correct thing and I would have done the same. The problem in my view is disparity. He is a little guy and you are a trained big guy with lots of muscle.
    Yup. Though, disparity was there, of course: BG with knife, threatening to kill; citizen without weapon, being threatened with death. Luckily in this case, he was a known quantity that was witnessed in all its colors by someone who saw it all from the start.

I, too, would prefer to not take a life, if the option were likely. But in my case, I'm nobody's H2H disarm expert. Were I to be the size of Schwarzenegger in his prime, I'd probably consider a one-punch salvo as a legit option as well.

Good on ya, jbonfadini, for surviving the encounter, preserving your children's innocence for a bit longer, but taking out the BG anyway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Dammmmn !!

That thug got lucky, he lives to prey on another victom someone much smaller im sure, he was goin to use that knife no doubt, idk. He needs to catch a 9 next time instead of a tko. Ad that area will be a safer place for everyone there.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    That thug got lucky, he lives to prey on another victom someone much smaller im sure, he was goin to use that knife no doubt, idk. He needs to catch a 9 next time instead of a tko. Ad that area will be a safer place for everyone there.
    Theoretically, I quite agree with you. But let's not second-guess the original poster: he successfully stopped the threat with admirable restraint, using the smallest force needed.

Cleaning up the streets is the job of the police and justice system, flawed as they are, not our job. I'm into self-preservation and protection of my dear wife and daughter - I'm not a policeman and durned sure am no vigilante.
    OldVet, Hopyard and jbonfadini like this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yup. Though, disparity was there, of course:
    Far too much is made of disparity. Guy comes at me with a knife, the only disparity needed is my gun is bigger than his knife. Don't care how big or little he is.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad everything worked out for you the way it did. The guy got what he deserved and your children didn't have to see something that you would have to try to explain later on.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Glad everything worked out for you the way it did. The guy got what he deserved and your children didn't have to see something that you would have to try to explain later on.
    More importantly, his children did not have to see him bleeding on the ground. At that distance, he may
    have shot the BG and still have been stabbed or sliced. People have been stabbed in the chest by
    standing dead men.

He had no guarantee of a one shot stop.

All in all, given his size and skill set, that punch was the best move. Sure, not everyone could do it, but
    he could, did, and good for him.
    ep1953 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

In my experience, in this type of situation, an aggressive reaction is the best kind.. you're both fortunate that he was distracted...

you because I'm sure you didn't want the cops hanging on to your 45 :)

Him, because he got to keep his life..

How's your hand??? Be sure to clean it well if you got any cuts from his teeth... the human mouth is a very dirty place.

Glad it worked out for you.
    jbonfadini likes this.

Your handgun should not be your only choice...that's why it's so important to stay in some reasonable shape. Some believe that a gun is like a hammer and see everything as a nail.There are other choices and you made a good choice. Glad you and your little ones are ok! I hope your little one gets over the chewing lol!

I agree and yes considering I was carrying a 3k Wilson combat I think I would have cried when the police took it

Glad it worked out and you're ok. Personally, I'd have drawn. Too much can happen too quick within arms reach.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links