Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit. - Page 2

Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

This is a discussion on Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If there are no gunbuster signs posted I wouldn't tell anyone I'm carrying to a meeting & conceal well so nobody finds out accidentally. That's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

GH
    If there are no gunbuster signs posted I wouldn't tell anyone I'm carrying to a meeting & conceal well so nobody finds out accidentally. That's the surest way of having your community rules changed to prohibit guns. It seems that those communities just love to make up new ones. Even if the laws allow you to carry & signs have no legal bearing I wouldn't do it just to prove a point. Concealed is concealed. Nobody needs to know except you.

"Hey, Mr. TheErnies, are you armed?" "Now why in the world would I do that?" LOL.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Wow! The "bizzare" rules of some Homeowner and Condo associations are one of the main reasons I'd never live in one of those type of communities! The government intrudes into our lives enough, without letting a group of "citizens" impose their "rules" upon us too! I feel sorry for anyone who has to live that way.
    I knew that they could impose fines but never dreamed that they could foreclose on a persons home. The OP might need to worry more about what his associations rules are than what laws he might be violating. The Government cannot take his home for violating a weapons law. It seems in some States that you home owners association might be able to do just that.

Michael
    JDE101 likes this.

VIP Member
    It's funny how on some threads, you hear how frustrated people are that the HOA doesn't enforce the covenants to their liking against their dirtbag neighbor, and others hate their HOA for having any say-so on the appearance of the neighborhood.

If you want to be in a neighborhood, your choice is one with no covenants, which can go downhill in value if the residents don't maintain it, or running the risk of a nazi HOA.

Personally, I intend to opt for atctimmy's solution one day, and have my own farm outside of any subdivision.
    JDE101 and BigJon10125 like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheErnies View Post
    I am a board member in a private community and I would like to know if I can take a concealed weapon to my meetings?
    I have a concealed carry permit.
    Thanks!
    short answer: this depends on the state in which you reside. Refer to Handgunlaw.us and your state concealed carry law website to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Wow! The "bizzare" rules of some Homeowner and Condo associations are one of the main reasons I'd never live in one of those type of communities! The government intrudes into our lives enough, without letting a group of "citizens" impose their "rules" upon us too! I feel sorry for anyone who has to live that way.
    I agree that we have too much intrusion, but keep in mind, nobody "has to live that way". Some CHOOSE to live that way, other CHOOSE not to.

As to the OP, like others have said, it depends on where the meetings are held. Are they held at a location that is off- limits? Also, as I read the above statute,
    FS 790.06 (12) (a) 7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;- what would qualify as a governing body of a special district? How would FL law define that? I don't know, but just wondering about that. In GA, we are fine to carry at HOA meeting unless it is held at an off limits location (school, church, etc)

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's funny how on some threads, you hear how frustrated people are that the HOA doesn't enforce the covenants to their liking against their dirtbag neighbor, and others hate their HOA for having any say-so on the appearance of the neighborhood.

If you want to be in a neighborhood, your choice is one with no covenants, which can go downhill in value if the residents don't maintain it, or running the risk of a nazi HOA.

Personally, I intend to opt for atctimmy's solution one day, and have my own farm outside of any subdivision.
    Save me a spot..
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by awanatech View Post
    I agree that we have too much intrusion, but keep in mind, nobody "has to live that way". Some CHOOSE to live that way, other CHOOSE not to.

As to the OP, like others have said, it depends on where the meetings are held. Are they held at a location that is off- limits? Also, as I read the above statute,
    FS 790.06 (12) (a) 7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;- what would qualify as a governing body of a special district? How would FL law define that? I don't know, but just wondering about that. In GA, we are fine to carry at HOA meeting unless it is held at an off limits location (school, church, etc)
    HOAs are not the governing bodies stated in the statutes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Get on the Florida conceal carry forum and ask them there, then read in the forum and get caught up on the laws in your State.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Why not just ask the people at the meeting? It only takes a minute to send an email.

I'm a Board member, and the Treasurer of my association.

I checked our condo docs to be sure about possible fines, but I already knew that carry was legal.

A "special district" would be one that has the power to levy additional taxes. (Not fees, but for real taxes. A CDD - community development district - would be an example. They can levy taxes for roads within the district, for example.)

Personally, I carry whenever I'm on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Why not just ask the people at the meeting? It only takes a minute to send an email.
    That does reveal to everyone in the committeee, and then realistically, everyone in the development, that you cc. Kind of negates the first 'c'. That is up to you/him.
    GH likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

your private community has the right to ban firearms from the meeting.

CJM
    Why anyone would want to live in a neighborhood with a "committee" or "board" telling you what you can and can't do with your own home and property is beyond me. We have legislation coming out our eyeballs already from local, State, and the Federal government, why would you volunteer for more?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Welcome to the forum. One of the best sources for this type of information is:

Handgunlaw.us

Click on your state in the map and check to see where your state restricts concealed carry. Be aware that there are also federal restrictions concerning schools and federal govenment buildings such as post offices.
    It is truly amazing how many people ask these kind of questions and it is more scary to think that many of them take the word of an anonymous replier. I am sure, however, that if these people should end up in trouble because of inaccurate information, their transgressions will be forgiven once they tell the appropriate authorities that they got the information from Joe Blow on the Defensive Carry Forum. Any time this kind of question is asked as a lead in thread, an automatic disclaimer and reference to handgunlaw.us should be replied in kind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Because that might very well start some where there is none.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links