Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit. - Page 3

Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

This is a discussion on Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CJM Why anyone would want to live in a neighborhood with a "committee" or "board" telling you what you can and can't ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Why anyone would want to live in a neighborhood with a "committee" or "board" telling you what you can and can't do with your own home and property is beyond me. We have legislation coming out our eyeballs already from local, State, and the Federal government, why would you volunteer for more?
    he's not talking about his own home or property..he's talking about a community meeting on jointly-owned property.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Because that might very well start some where there is none.
    Start what? The original poster needs to know if he can carry there or not. I am sure they will inform him.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    That does reveal to everyone in the committeee, and then realistically, everyone in the development, that you cc. Kind of negates the first 'c'. That is up to you/him.
    Telling anyone including your family and friends has the same effect. If the original poster asks from an anonymous email address then it would not necessarily give away the fact that he/she is carrying.

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    I have no idea. You need to check your state's CC laws.
    Not this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I have no idea. Ask someone in your local Sheriff's or Police office.
    LEOs, Gun shop employees, and your buddy that owns a gun are almost always incorrect about gun laws.

Read, study and know the laws for yourself. If it's not a prohibited place, carry on and don't tell, or ask permission from, anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Wow! The "bizzare" rules of some Homeowner and Condo associations are one of the main reasons I'd never live in one of those type of communities! The government intrudes into our lives enough, without letting a group of "citizens" impose their "rules" upon us too! I feel sorry for anyone who has to live that way.
    "Never say never"...

Most assuredly, some HOAs can be oppressive and run by people consumed with the small amount of "authority" being a board member gives them. And at least here in AZ, HOAs can and do "enforce" their fees and assessments with the legal right to establish liens and foreclose on properties. But HOAs can and do serve beneficial purposes of upholding community standards and maintaining common areas. For example, my HOA expressly forbids unregistered motor vehicles parked anywhere except in a garage or behind a fence or wall, i.e., keep 'em out of sight. You want to work on your unregistered street rod or hobby car in your garage or on your RV pad, have at it - but you'll get slapped with a heavy fine if you leave your junked, clapped out Neon parked on the front lawn for more than a week or so. Like anything else, you need to know what you're getting into before you sign on the dotted line.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If I lived in a HOA and they got on my bad side they would need to come up with new rules everyday(I have a vivid imagination and no shame)
    RemMod597 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

HOA rules , if u don't like them don't buy there. If ur looking to buy at one read the fine print several times to see if u can live by them and be happy.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sometimes such groups meet in private homes: if the homeowner doesn't want you to carry, it's his turf. Some states require letting him know.

If your group meets in a school building, you have your answer: no.

If your group meets in a church building, and the church operates a school, you may have your answer, too: no.

But I'm talking from many states away. +1 on the Handgun Law link.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Telling anyone including your family and friends has the same effect. If the original poster asks from an anonymous email address then it would not necessarily give away the fact that he/she is carrying.
    It would certainly get anyone aware of the email message on the alert that someone in the group carries and wants to do so to the meeting. It is just one of those things that opens up a can of worms....a person needs to decide if it's worth that or not.

Could lead to a discussion in a meeting where pointed questions were asked...and a decision made on how to answer if not wanting to reveal (lying).

I'm not saying it cant be done or shouldnt...just saying that few options would simply open and close the case.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There is nothing in FL's list of prohibited places that includes a HOA meeting or such. Your "private community" may have rules concerning firearms, but they carry no legal weight.

FS 790.06:
    (12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
    1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
    2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    4. Any courthouse;
    5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    6. Any polling place;
    7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
    11. Any career center;
    12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
    15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

The history of some of these "board meetings" has demonstrated the need to carry a concealed weapon.
    Actually item 7 to says no carry at a meeting of governing body of a special district. Could that be applied to the OP's private community?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, an HOA is not a special district.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Start what? The original poster needs to know if he can carry there or not. I am sure they will inform him.
    As it stands, he can legally carry there. If there are no signs up, and nothing written in the by-laws prior to bringing the matter to everyone's attention, there probably will be soon.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And if he remains concealed, there probably won't be. That might be construed as a violation of 2A rights. The legal hassle could go on for years, something neither side would look forward to financially. I don't know if the HOA would want to take on that burden.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You're good to go CC to that community meeting here in FL.
    Don't ask, don't tell...even though it completely legal.
    The fewer people who know, the better.
    TVille likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links