Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

This is a discussion on Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a board member in a private community and I would like to know if I can take a concealed weapon to my meetings? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

I am a board member in a private community and I would like to know if I can take a concealed weapon to my meetings?
    I have a concealed carry permit.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I have no idea. You need to check your state's CC laws.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have no idea. Ask someone in your local Sheriff's or Police office.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best sources for this type of information is:

Handgunlaw.us

Click on your state in the map and check to see where your state restricts concealed carry. Be aware that there are also federal restrictions concerning schools and federal govenment buildings such as post offices.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There is nothing in FL's list of prohibited places that includes a HOA meeting or such. Your "private community" may have rules concerning firearms, but they carry no legal weight.

FS 790.06:
    (12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
    1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
    2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    4. Any courthouse;
    5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    6. Any polling place;
    7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
    11. Any career center;
    12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
    15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

The history of some of these "board meetings" has demonstrated the need to carry a concealed weapon.
    darbo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks!

OP: The state statutes don't appear to cover such private group meetings (from the earlier post) and FLA apparently holds such signage or dictates to have no force of law, at least insofar as trespass goes. But, as with an educational institution that hinges your continued enrollment on following their rules, an HOA type group might well have lingo in the covenants and procedures dictating penalties (of sorts) for weaponry at meetings. Can't imagine it would amount to much more than a wizzing match, but it's something to consider.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TheErnies View Post
    I am a board member in a private community and I would like to know if I can take a concealed weapon to my meetings?
    I have a concealed carry permit.
    Thanks!
    Is the building where the meeting is held posted? If so, do the signs hold the wt of law in FL?

If it is legal to carry to the meeting, then it is up to you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Some of the comments here got my curiosity up regarding Homeowners Associations. Not sure if private community organizations follow the same laws or if they are different. A quick Google check brought up some interesting and scary laws. It seems that in many States these organizations can levy fines or even foreclose on properties when the property owner/ member violate the rules they agreed to when they became members.
    Seems that in some States you while you may not be violating any State law you may lose your home for violating your homeowners Associations policy.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; October 17th, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Senior Moderator
    No more discussion of illegal activities
    We carry only where we legally can!
    Toorop likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Some of the comments here got my curiosity up regarding Homeowners Associations. Not sure if private community organizations follow the same laws or if they are different. A quick Google check brought up some interesting and scary laws. It seems that in many States these organizations can levy fines or even foreclose on properties when the property owner/ member violate the rules they agreed to when they became members.
    Seems that in some States you while you may not be violating any State law you may lose your home for violating your homeowners Associations policy.

Michael
    Thank you, I didnt realize this and it's important for the OP to consider.

OTOH, both times when I shopped for houses I made it perfectly clear that I was not buying in a community with any CC&Rs, etc etc.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Michael is correct here. Covenants are not law, but are a legally binding contract, which you agree to when you assume ownership of your home. If brought before a judge, the precedence is generally to enforce the covenants as worded with penalties (typically fines and liens if unpaid) as worded in the by-laws.

However, the likelihood of the author of the covenants being so anti-2a, that they thought to put such wording into the by-laws is remote. Thoroughly reading through your covenants & by-laws and understanding them clearly is always a good idea.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida is overrun by the "condo commandos" who will attempt to place large fines for such things as folks displaying the American flag, even those of combat veterans. For those very reasons I crossed the gated communities off my list when I moved here. The gamut of rules can border on the rediculous. For those who choose to live in that lifestyle, it's obey or else.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    being a newly elected HOA board member and appointed Treasurer, I will be carrying to all HOA meetings.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Wow! The "bizzare" rules of some Homeowner and Condo associations are one of the main reasons I'd never live in one of those type of communities! The government intrudes into our lives enough, without letting a group of "citizens" impose their "rules" upon us too! I feel sorry for anyone who has to live that way.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links