Defensive Carry banner

Can I take a concealed gun to a private community board meeting, I have a permit.

7K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I am a board member in a private community and I would like to know if I can take a concealed weapon to my meetings?
I have a concealed carry permit.
Thanks!

#29 ·
It is truly amazing how many people ask these kind of questions and it is more scary to think that many of them take the word of an anonymous replier. I am sure, however, that if these people should end up in trouble because of inaccurate information, their transgressions will be forgiven once they tell the appropriate authorities that they got the information from Joe Blow on the Defensive Carry Forum. Any time this kind of question is asked as a lead in thread, an automatic disclaimer and reference to handgunlaw.us should be replied in kind.

#5 ·
There is nothing in FL's list of prohibited places that includes a HOA meeting or such. Your "private community" may have rules concerning firearms, but they carry no legal weight.

FS 790.06:
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

The history of some of these "board meetings" has demonstrated the need to carry a concealed weapon.

Reactions: darbo
#7 ·
OP: The state statutes don't appear to cover such private group meetings (from the earlier post) and FLA apparently holds such signage or dictates to have no force of law, at least insofar as trespass goes. But, as with an educational institution that hinges your continued enrollment on following their rules, an HOA type group might well have lingo in the covenants and procedures dictating penalties (of sorts) for weaponry at meetings. Can't imagine it would amount to much more than a wizzing match, but it's something to consider.

#8 ·
Is the building where the meeting is held posted? If so, do the signs hold the wt of law in FL?

If it is legal to carry to the meeting, then it is up to you.

#9 · (Edited)
Some of the comments here got my curiosity up regarding Homeowners Associations. Not sure if private community organizations follow the same laws or if they are different. A quick Google check brought up some interesting and scary laws. It seems that in many States these organizations can levy fines or even foreclose on properties when the property owner/ member violate the rules they agreed to when they became members.
Seems that in some States you while you may not be violating any State law you may lose your home for violating your homeowners Associations policy.

Michael

#11 ·
Thank you, I didnt realize this and it's important for the OP to consider.

OTOH, both times when I shopped for houses I made it perfectly clear that I was not buying in a community with any CC&Rs, etc etc.

#13 ·
Florida is overrun by the "condo commandos" who will attempt to place large fines for such things as folks displaying the American flag, even those of combat veterans. For those very reasons I crossed the gated communities off my list when I moved here. The gamut of rules can border on the rediculous. For those who choose to live in that lifestyle, it's obey or else.

#15 ·
Wow! The "bizzare" rules of some Homeowner and Condo associations are one of the main reasons I'd never live in one of those type of communities! The government intrudes into our lives enough, without letting a group of "citizens" impose their "rules" upon us too! I feel sorry for anyone who has to live that way. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hoganbeg
#17 ·
I knew that they could impose fines but never dreamed that they could foreclose on a persons home. The OP might need to worry more about what his associations rules are than what laws he might be violating. The Government cannot take his home for violating a weapons law. It seems in some States that you home owners association might be able to do just that.

Michael

#16 ·
If there are no gunbuster signs posted I wouldn't tell anyone I'm carrying to a meeting & conceal well so nobody finds out accidentally. That's the surest way of having your community rules changed to prohibit guns. It seems that those communities just love to make up new ones. Even if the laws allow you to carry & signs have no legal bearing I wouldn't do it just to prove a point. Concealed is concealed. Nobody needs to know except you.

"Hey, Mr. TheErnies, are you armed?" "Now why in the world would I do that?" LOL.

#18 ·
It's funny how on some threads, you hear how frustrated people are that the HOA doesn't enforce the covenants to their liking against their dirtbag neighbor, and others hate their HOA for having any say-so on the appearance of the neighborhood.

If you want to be in a neighborhood, your choice is one with no covenants, which can go downhill in value if the residents don't maintain it, or running the risk of a nazi HOA.

Personally, I intend to opt for atctimmy's solution one day, and have my own farm outside of any subdivision.

#19 ·
short answer: this depends on the state in which you reside. Refer to Handgunlaw.us and your state concealed carry law website to be sure.

#23 ·
Get on the Florida conceal carry forum and ask them there, then read in the forum and get caught up on the laws in your State.

#26 ·
That does reveal to everyone in the committeee, and then realistically, everyone in the development, that you cc. Kind of negates the first 'c'. That is up to you/him.

Reactions: GH
#25 ·
I'm a Board member, and the Treasurer of my association.

I checked our condo docs to be sure about possible fines, but I already knew that carry was legal.

A "special district" would be one that has the power to levy additional taxes. (Not fees, but for real taxes. A CDD - community development district - would be an example. They can levy taxes for roads within the district, for example.)

Personally, I carry whenever I'm on the property.

#28 ·
Why anyone would want to live in a neighborhood with a "committee" or "board" telling you what you can and can't do with your own home and property is beyond me. We have legislation coming out our eyeballs already from local, State, and the Federal government, why would you volunteer for more?

#38 ·
Sometimes such groups meet in private homes: if the homeowner doesn't want you to carry, it's his turf. Some states require letting him know.

If your group meets in a school building, you have your answer: no.

If your group meets in a church building, and the church operates a school, you may have your answer, too: no.

But I'm talking from many states away. +1 on the Handgun Law link.

#43 ·
And if he remains concealed, there probably won't be. That might be construed as a violation of 2A rights. The legal hassle could go on for years, something neither side would look forward to financially. I don't know if the HOA would want to take on that burden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.