Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gaius I respectfully disagree. Having a gun that goes bang is a good start, but what happens after the bang will determine ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Having a gun that goes bang is a good start, but what happens after the bang will determine the outcome of the encounter. You cannot shoot fast enough to make up for a miss. Some SD pistols are far more amenable to accurate shooting than others, especially when you take trigger pull, sight radius etc into consideration.
    [QUOTE=oakchas;2423599]

There is nothing wrong with any caliber... some are better than others for killing a man... but there are many instances where no shot is fired... the mere presence of the gun stops the crime.

Finally.... sight radius has little to do with killing a man in a gun fight... I posit that if you have the time and distance to focus on your sight in a gun fight... you probably are not in immediate/imminent danger of death or grave bodily injury... there are many who disagree...

Those interviewed after adrenaline filled training exercises have most often said... "I didn't even think about the sights..." specifically after tueller drill scenarios.
    QUOTE]

I am in the corner with oakchas....In most self defense encounters, you will be at "point and shoot" range and won't be worrying about sight radius. As far as accuracy goes, if you can't hit a BG, that's withing 21 feet or less ,by just pointing and pulling the trigger, then you need some serious training and I do mean SERIOUS TRAINING..

As for some pistols being more amenable to accurate shooting than others, then again I submit to you, that even a slingshot will be accurate in a "close" encounter, therefore brand and caliber should become irrelevant as long as YOU are capable of hitting the target. Once again, this is where training with the particular weapon comes into play. With training comes becoming accustomed to the trigger pull, recoil, and getting back on target. So, train train train....

Now, I will concede, that RELIABILITY will enter into the picture. So with that in mind, I would encourage one to be "picky" when it comes to your self defense weapon, be familiar with it's operation, and ensure that whatever your carry ammo happens to be, that you've put enough rounds through the weapon to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that it will feed, fire, eject, and cycle reliably. JMO

OH...by the way... Welcome to the forum from South Carolina...
    oakchas and Hopyard like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    If you're thinking about getting a 380 I presume you already know that is the least acceptable cartridge for self-defense, but with today's modern ammunition if you choose the right pistol they can be quite effective, in my opinion what you should be looking for is, 1 reliability 2 being accurate 3 the longest possible barrel will give your bullet more energy more power and having a longer barrel will also usually increase your sight radius which will increase your accuracy quite a bit. If you decide on a 380 you are already at the lowest end don't make it lower by choosing the wrong handgun. If it was me I would probably be looking at the bersa
    the .380... is it less desirable than the .25 or the .32... or the .22?

I did not know that! /Johnny Carson voice
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    To the ignorant amd misinformed souls in the Press, all handguns are "Glocks" and all rifles are "assault weapons". ;)

I recall seeing a thread on here, the contents I don't recall; but I do remember that the author had basically done no gun research on his piece and referred to an LCP, which was pictured in the article, as a "Sturm, Ruger & Co .38".
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    To the ignorant amd misinformed souls in the Press, all handguns are "Glocks" and all rifles are "assault weapons". ;)
    What are shotguns? I'm thinking "assault rifles". My Mossberg 500 Persuader looks scarier than a lot of black rifles I see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links