Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar (and could possibly provide a link) with any news stories or write-ups dealing with any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP

Deadly force encounters involving the Ruger LCP

I was wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar (and could possibly provide a link) with any news stories or write-ups dealing with any deadly force encounters involving a concealed carrying individual w/ an armed subject, while carrying a pocket 380 pistol, namely the LCP? I know this gun is one of (if not the) most popular CC pistol, and I was curious about seeing the practicality of the gun in an actual confrontation. Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I can't remember any press reports where they went so far as to name the specific model of a gun. Usually they only state it was a auto or revolver, if that much. They seldom bother mentioning the caliber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum.

The .380ACP is what it is. Shot placement is going to be the key factor in it's effectiveness.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sogrsr View Post
    I was wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar (and could possibly provide a link) with any news stories or write-ups dealing with any deadly force encounters involving a concealed carrying individual w/ an armed subject, while carrying a pocket 380 pistol, namely the LCP? I know this gun is one of (if not the) most popular CC pistol, and I was curious about seeing the practicality of the gun in an actual confrontation. Thanks,
    The 71 year old guy in the Florida internet cafe that took on two kids that were trying to rob the patrons had a pocket .380 Auto but it wasn't an LCP, I think it was a Taurus but wouldn't swear to it.

I carry a SIG P238 or an LCP in a front pocket most of the summer. Never shot them except to practice, hope to keep it that way.

Fitch
    VA_Glocker likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas had an encounter with a nasty coyote while out jogging. The LCP did the critter in and Perry kept jogging.

There is well documented research on the effectiveness of the 380. Focusing on the brand (LCP for example) is not necessary. No matter the caliber, as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger one brand works pretty much the same as any other in effectiveness.

GH
    Welcome to the site from Wisconsin! I've never seen a caliber or make of gun mentioned in any news article. Sometimes you can see the surveillance video & if it's sharp enough you can almost see what gun it is but very seldom that happens.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    A judge in a neighboring county dropped a home-intruder DRT with one shot to the chest from a .380, but like GH said, the make & model of the gun is rarely mentioned.

Here's the article that mentions the caliber:

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/101144824.html

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    There is well documented research on the effectiveness of the 380. Focusing on the brand (LCP for example) is not necessary. No matter the caliber, as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger one brand works pretty much the same as any other in effectiveness.
    I respectfully disagree. Having a gun that goes bang is a good start, but what happens after the bang will determine the outcome of the encounter. You cannot shoot fast enough to make up for a miss. Some SD pistols are far more amenable to accurate shooting than others, especially when you take trigger pull, sight radius etc into consideration.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

While I cannot give you a link to someone who used a .380 of any brand specifically.... here's a link to someone who used a .32 Kel Tec... in a wallet holster to defend himself successfully and he drew against the drop as well (DATD, when someone has a pistol out and pointed at you before yours is even un-holstered).... and you'll note in the pic that the fellow has many small handguns and a couple of pocket holsters...

Story here

There is nothing wrong with any caliber... some are better than others for killing a man... but there are many instances where no shot is fired... the mere presence of the gun stops the crime.

Finally.... sight radius has little to do with killing a man in a gun fight... I posit that if you have the time and distance to focus on your sight in a gun fight... you probably are not in immediate/imminent danger of death or grave bodily injury... there are many who disagree...

Those interviewed after adrenaline filled training exercises have most often said... "I didn't even think about the sights..." specifically after tueller drill scenarios.

Google: Peyton Quinn Adrenal Stress Scenario (look in youtube) there is some bad (read reality based) language in the video... which is why I am not posting a direct link..

And the video shown doesn't do the post interviews... but if you watch it... you will notice that only one of the combatants may be using his sights...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Having a gun that goes bang is a good start, but what happens after the bang will determine the outcome of the encounter. You cannot shoot fast enough to make up for a miss. Some SD pistols are far more amenable to accurate shooting than others, especially when you take trigger pull, sight radius etc into consideration.
    I think he was refering to having a reliable firearm regardless of caliber, not that so-and-so make/model is more or less accurate than another. We're talking pocket .380s after all.
    And one may very well shoot fast enough to make up for a miss, but not a lot of misses.

But what would someone from Chicago know about those evil tools that should be banned from the face of the earth? (Chain-jerking here) ;-)
    GH likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have read several articles of shootings involving .380's, some fatal....They never mention the brand of weapon or model of gun used. Would be intresting to know if it was a LCP.................

You're lucky if a news drone knows the difference in a rifle and a shotgun.
    PatAz likes this.

If you're thinking about getting a 380 I presume you already know that is the least acceptable cartridge for self-defense, but with today's modern ammunition if you choose the right pistol they can be quite effective, in my opinion what you should be looking for is, 1 reliability 2 being accurate 3 the longest possible barrel will give your bullet more energy more power and having a longer barrel will also usually increase your sight radius which will increase your accuracy quite a bit. If you decide on a 380 you are already at the lowest end don't make it lower by choosing the wrong handgun. If it was me I would probably be looking at the bersa

I read of a murder committed with a stolen LCP by gang members but I don't remember other details
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links