New Mexico State Parks concealed carry law - PLEASE WRITE!

This is a discussion on New Mexico State Parks concealed carry law - PLEASE WRITE! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From NRA-ILA: "On Wednesday evening, the State Parks Division of the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department held a public hearing to take ...

Thread: New Mexico State Parks concealed carry law - PLEASE WRITE!

From NRA-ILA:

"On Wednesday evening, the State Parks Division of the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department held a public hearing to take input on proposed amendments to Section 19.5.2.21 of the New Mexico Administrative Code, which includes a removal of the current ban on concealed handgun licensees carrying handguns in state parks. A representative from NRA-ILA testified in support of the rule change, along with several concealed handgun instructors from across the state. No one spoke in opposition to the proposal. The Department will continue to accept written comments on the measure until 5:00pm on October 31. Please send comments by email to april.alvarado@state.nm.us or by USPS to April Alvarado, EMNRD State Parks Division, 1220 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505."

I wrote an e-mail and have no pride of authorship - You are welcome to use any or all of it. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OF NEW MEXICO, please take just a moment to plead out case. After all, you may wish to visit one of our wonderful parks one of these days! Thanks!

My e-mail:

"I love our New Mexico State Parks and the fine folks that run them. They are at one time beautiful, educational and recreational lands that we have every right to be proud of. However, my family and our out-of-state visitors do not visit them.

Why, you might ask, do we feel as we do about our parks and yet we do not buy annual passes and spend time there? For the same reason we do not attend theaters similar to the Century Theater in Aurora, Colorado, or go to restaurants that serve drinks other than wine or beer, or shop at many of the stores and large shopping centers in the state - Because the carrying of concealed firearms for protection of my family is forbidden either by law or by management proclamation and signage. We refuse to simply give up our right to protect ourselves. We refuse to become unarmed victims of people like James Holmes (the Century Theater shooter). We, as honest, law abiding citizens, refuse to give up our right to carry a firearm while criminals simply ignore the law and carry wherever they want.

Look seriously into the results of allowing concealed carry in other states, including our neighbors of Texas, Oklahoma and Arizona. You will find that contrary to sometimes vociferous opposition by a few radical anti-gun organizations, absolutely no violance from those legally permitted to carry concealed has resulted in state or national parks. None. Believe it or not, it is even legal in the state of Arizona for a concealed carry permit holder to carry while in a bar! Now, there was a great deal of opposition to the passage of that law, yet again there has been absolutely zero instances in Arizona where firearms carried legally into a bar have been involved.

All in all, those who have taken the time and effort to become licensed to carry concealed are among the most law abiding citizens in New Mexico. It is my belief that the state of New Mexico is not only restricting thousands of law abiding citizens from visiting the state parks, but losing revenue by so doing. Please consider the abolishment of the draconian and obsolete law restricting us from access.

Respectfully, "
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Hope they approve it.....

Makes a difference to me. I have looked at going thru Colorado to Arizona , rather than thru New Mexico as a result of some of it's laws, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, Eagleks, we are slowly but surely coming around. Just got to understand that the word "mañana" (as used in most cases in New Mexico) does not really mean "tomorrow". It just means at some time in the future. Perhaps. If we get to it. Someday. Maybe.

At least we do have a ccw program now and we have added package stores and restaurants that serve wine or beer to the list of acceptable carry places. If we keep on chipping away with one new addition each year or two we should be in pretty good shape by the beginning of the next millenium!
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Sponsored Links