Fantastic! too young to have a gun of her own...

This is a discussion on Fantastic! too young to have a gun of her own... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 12-Year-Old Oklahoma Girl Kendra St. Clair Home Alone Uses Family Gun to Shoot Intruder | Video | TheBlaze.com...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Fantastic! too young to have a gun of her own...

Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Good kid, good outcome.

Already running here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...n-her-own.html

Threads merged.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Trained is a big no. That's the first time she's ever shot a gun.
    6th grader left home alone with an unsecured firearm that she's not been trained with? No, sorry, parenting fail.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

So, do you keep the door as a trophy or fix it?

Good for the 12 yr old, mom needs a talking to.

Wow for the most part she was able to keep her cool and didn't hesitate once she seen the door knob turning.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I've seen the news stories about this. I say good job! I hope she isn't to traumatized because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Trained is a big no. That's the first time she's ever shot a gun.
    6th grader left home alone with an unsecured firearm that she's not been trained with? No, sorry, parenting fail.
    Because kidnapped, raped, and dead is a better outcome? Or only highly trained individuals are allowed to defend themselves?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Nope, because an unsupervised kid with no gun education could just as easily hurt themselves or others with the gun or succumb to peer pressure and allow other kids with no business around a gun to handle it. No one said anything about "only highly trained individuals are allowed to defend themselves". The only thing that was said was that a parent who leaves a firearm accessible to a kid who doesn't understand how to use it has been irresponsible wrt guns. Nice strawman though.
    FLArmadillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Nope, because an unsupervised kid with no gun education could just as easily hurt themselves or others with the gun or succumb to peer pressure and allow other kids with no business around a gun to handle it.
    We don't know that about this family. Some kids are very trustworthy. I think the evidence speaks for itself in this case. Sure it would be better if she had some experience shooting, but this is not a parenting fail.
    Last edited by Ransom; October 21st, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Those EVIL parents also left the kid alone with all those deadly knives that the kid is not trained to use. Let's not forget the scissors...my God...what if she picked them up and started running. What if she had grabbed a plastic bag and put it over her head or sat too close to the TV.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Nope, because an unsupervised kid with no gun education could just as easily hurt themselves or others with the gun or succumb to peer pressure and allow other kids with no business around a gun to handle it. No one said anything about "only highly trained individuals are allowed to defend themselves". The only thing that was said was that a parent who leaves a firearm accessible to a kid who doesn't understand how to use it has been irresponsible wrt guns. Nice strawman though.
    We don't know that she had no training. I was introduced to firearms and safety at 3 years old. I knew what it was and how it worked, but had no interest in shooting it at the time. Didn't fire a gun until YEARS later. I was left alone in the same house as that gun quite a few times.

Nice strawman.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

My kids 5 and 7 both shoot. I bought them a cricket 22 for Christmas last year. They both shoot my smith 22. We have our own range.

They know not to handle firearms without me around. I believe that if kids are raised around firearms and taught proper handeling they will be safe around them.

That being said they don't have the combination to my safe but not all of our firearms are in the safe.

I love Texas! Congrats to the girl. Get her some shooting classes so next time the dirt bag doesn't walk anywhere, let him leave in a bag.
    ep1953 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links