Defensive Carry banner

Fantastic! too young to have a gun of her own...

11K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  steffen 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Actually, I thought about that too... And then, I realized the girl was in the closet, door closed... And pulled the trigger when the knob started turning... She's likely to have some hearing loss.. But she may not have seen anything. I think there will be less emotional trauma for her...

I hope the "family gun" was an "evil black assault Glock AK 47 rifle automatic gun" with a "super super high capacity drum clip" that was purchased at an internet loophole gun show!

#7 ·
I just now was able to watch the video... Apparently the perp was arrested before for abducting a young lady of "diminished mental capacity."

This young 12 year old averted a much greater trauma.

Wow! Her mom is proud! And rightfully so!

#8 ·
I'm betting MOM ... is still trying to absorb what happened.

The girl, should be patted on the back and praised for protecting herself.

Glad she did what mom said to do, and protected herself in the process.

#11 ·
Sounds like BOTH of them couldn't have handled it any better. Props to mom for telling the daughter to hang up and call 911, I can see a lot of moms not being as willing to let their kid of the phone and be left wondering what was going on. Sad that it needed to happen, but glad that it happened like it did!

ETA: This is food for thought for the camp that thinks guns shouldn't be accessible or loaded with children in the house. How quickly do you think the girl could have opened a safe, gotten the gun and ammo, loaded it, turned off the safety, etc., if even at all?

#13 ·
Sounds like BOTH of them couldn't have handled it any better. Props to mom for telling the daughter to hang up and call 911, I can see a lot of moms not being as willing to let their kid of the phone and be left wondering what was going on. Sad that it needed to happen, but glad that it happened like it did!

ETA: This is food for thought for the camp that thinks guns shouldn't be accessible or loaded with children in the house. How quickly do you think the girl could have opened a safe, gotten the gun and ammo, loaded it, turned off the safety, etc., if even at all?
Sooooo true! And, this article proves that properly taught, an appropriately aged child with access to guns in the home that aren't locked up, are not a risk to themselves or friends... but certainly are a deterrent to criminals.

#19 ·
Trained is a big no. That's the first time she's ever shot a gun.
6th grader left home alone with an unsecured firearm that she's not been trained with? No, sorry, parenting fail.

#21 ·
Wow for the most part she was able to keep her cool and didn't hesitate once she seen the door knob turning.

#24 ·
Nope, because an unsupervised kid with no gun education could just as easily hurt themselves or others with the gun or succumb to peer pressure and allow other kids with no business around a gun to handle it. No one said anything about "only highly trained individuals are allowed to defend themselves". The only thing that was said was that a parent who leaves a firearm accessible to a kid who doesn't understand how to use it has been irresponsible wrt guns. Nice strawman though.

#25 · (Edited)
Nope, because an unsupervised kid with no gun education could just as easily hurt themselves or others with the gun or succumb to peer pressure and allow other kids with no business around a gun to handle it.
We don't know that about this family. Some kids are very trustworthy. I think the evidence speaks for itself in this case. Sure it would be better if she had some experience shooting, but this is not a parenting fail.

#26 ·
Those EVIL parents also left the kid alone with all those deadly knives that the kid is not trained to use. Let's not forget the scissors...my God...what if she picked them up and started running. What if she had grabbed a plastic bag and put it over her head or sat too close to the TV.:gah:

#28 ·
Nice strawman.

#29 ·
My kids 5 and 7 both shoot. I bought them a cricket 22 for Christmas last year. They both shoot my smith 22. We have our own range.

They know not to handle firearms without me around. I believe that if kids are raised around firearms and taught proper handeling they will be safe around them.

That being said they don't have the combination to my safe but not all of our firearms are in the safe.

#30 ·
I love Texas! Congrats to the girl. Get her some shooting classes so next time the dirt bag doesn't walk anywhere, let him leave in a bag.

Reactions: ep1953
#31 ·
So, kid survives home invasion. Manages to defend herself. We have zero idea, or information on what the child knew about guns except that she has not shot one. We have no idea if the child is responsible in general. And we don't know where the gun was actually located. All we know is that the mother told the child to get the family gun. It could just as easily been locked up as laying on the coffe table. But we are willing to second guess the mother. How did we ever survive without gun safes?

#32 ·
My question is why this scumbag who has previous kidnapping charges is walking free?!

She did so well. That guy was not there to burglarize the place...he was coming for her. Maybe she's a little traumatized now, but when she's older, she will understand if it wasn't for that gun, she would most certainly be dead, and who knows what he'd have done to her first.

We don't have any right to question the parenting because we don't know enough, and obviously it worked out for the best.

#34 ·
I'm not saying it's a bad thing that she was able to defend herself, in fact, given these circumstances, this was about the best possible outcome.

I'm glad she didn't kill him, a sixth-grade girl doesn't need to carry around that baggage, and I've seen what happens to child molesters, rapists, etc in prison, and I wish him every bit of that.

As far as training goes, I want to know who has ever shown themselves proficient with a firearm without firing it. How many people have told their significant other everything there is to know about a firearm, then when it comes time to shoot, they get hit in the head with it, or something else happens (I knew a girl who put her left index finger behind the trigger when she first picked it up)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.