Please help ease my mind.

This is a discussion on Please help ease my mind. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I intentionally buy all my carry guns with no external safties. one more thing to fumble with if SHTF....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Please help ease my mind.

I intentionally buy all my carry guns with no external safties. one more thing to fumble with if SHTF.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't buy a carry gun with an external safety - if I did, I'd do my best to make sure it would never be on. My LCP doesn't have external OR trigger safety. When milliseconds count, I want a few things to worry about as possible.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    One of my 1911's has an ambi extended safety. It absolutely will NOT go into one of my holsters without going off safe, and I nearly pulled my shirt tail into the holster along with the gun. Pushing the handgun into the holster usually means depressing the grip safety. Recognizing what was going on really curled my toe nails. I no longer carry that firearm, and intend to replace the safety, first chance.

Don't start thinking "Oh, will not need to be careful if I get a gun with a safety." Always be careful.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post
    I bought a kahr cw9 last night. I like the gun but it has no external safety. Personally I feel it is pointless to carry an unchambered gun. I have a ruger sr9c that I carry but with all the extra safety features I feel extremely safe with it chambered at all times.

So what I'm asking is should I worry at all about carrying the kahr chambered since it has no safety.

Any input would be appreciated!!!
    Carry in a holster that completely covers the trigger, and practice practice practice drawing teh gun and reholstering. Do this until you can do it in your sleep.
    Learn the one and two handed method of draw from concealment (pull up shirt, support hand over pectoral, etc)

You won't have any issue.

I've carried a Kahr K9 for quite some time as my EDC, and it remains chambered and fully loaded at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    I intentionally buy all my carry guns with no external safties. one more thing to fumble with if SHTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I wouldn't buy a carry gun with an external safety - if I did, I'd do my best to make sure it would never be on. My LCP doesn't have external OR trigger safety. When milliseconds count, I want a few things to worry about as possible.

Which is why it is important to train with your weapon - if yours has a thumb safety, then you need to train to draw and disengage the safety while drawing.

I've seen the general contempt for thumb safeties on this and other forums, but the statements of when SHTF conflict with other predominant statements that you need to train with any weapon you carry.

I carry an SR40c, so the same gun as the OP but different caliber. I bought it because it was easy to conceal, had great reviews, and also because it had a lot of thought go into the design with safety in mind. The thumb safety is not something to rely on to be sure, but it does add a certain peace-of-mind, for those that like the thumb safety.

Like I said, it comes down to training. I train at the range for drawing and simultaneously disengaging the thumb safety and it was (almost) second nature at this point.
    lyz_grace likes this.

Disengaging the thumb safety on a 1911 was so automatic for me that I fumbled with the P11 (no safety), and really had a hard time with the Ruger .45ACP. (Draw, try to shoot, no bang, look at gun, "Oh, one of those", bring gun up, disengage safety, automatic thumb sweep re-engages safety, "Why no bang?", "Oh".)

Whatever route you decide to go, stick to it. Do not mix safety types.
    FoggyGoggles likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    It's been said a couple of times but I want to stress it once more: good holster (if you have a Kahr you can scrape up the dough for a holster) and BE DARNED SURE to not grab at it if it gets away from you. So long as you don't pull the trigger or put a wad of keys in the guard and jam it into your pocket, you're plenty safe.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Dont know much about guns and I know u mentioned what gun u have I still dont know what it is but if its a semi auto with a hair pin trigger its crazy not to have a safety devise on it, be very aware and conscience of it , if its a revolver you'll be fine just keep your finger off the trigger when reaching for it for what ever reaon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A <search> in the Defensive Carry Guns forum for subject=safety brings up several prior discussions, including these two: External Safety preference, and Safety for CCW.

Yes, be aware of the distinction. But train accordingly, so as to avoid unsafe handling in the first place.

Myself, I prefer DA/SA or DAO pistols without a manual thumb safety. Revolvers don't have such "thumb" safeties either. Proper safe handling and operation comes with proper handling procedures AT ALL TIMES, along with a decent holster that correctly covers the trigger area. IMO, it doesn't come from reliance on a safety mechanism on the gun. On DAO pistols such as the Kahr, it's why the trigger pull weight's fairly high. In short, it shouldn't be a problem, so long as you're practicing proper handling and trigger (finger) control.

^^^^Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only thing I can add is
    You Keeps the Booger Hook off the Bang Switch

And you ain'ts got no problem
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Well, right now when I do carry I carry a SR9c. When I'm out and about, I keep the safety off so I don't have to worry about it. When I get home though, I'll turn the thumb safety on since I have kids in the house and that little extra protection just in case makes me feel a little better. Plus if I'm at home, I feel I'll have the extra second or so to turn off the safety if need be.
    oneshot likes this.

Not a fan of safeties on personal defense handguns that are carried properly holstered or stored properly. However, if I was new to it or had not been doing that for years, I could see how someone would be a little unsettled. Rifles and shotguns, different story though. I'm a fan of safeties for them and believe in using them. The key difference is that you handle the handgun really two main times. 1) Storing, transporting, cleaning or holstering it on your person, and 2) when it's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser419 View Post
    ... Plus if I'm at home, I feel I'll have the extra second or so to turn off the safety if need be.
    If it takes you that long to release the safety, you need to practice more.

VIP Member
    Only you can ease your mind. Follow the example of those who have years of experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    Why should you be worried if you use a good holster that covers the trigger and be mindful of the safety handling rules? My M&P 9c has only a trigger safety and it always has one chambered.

And those rules are here.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    Just be aware of the state of the gun. I have one and it's my primary carry gun. I love it.
    It's always loaded until manually cleared every time the gun is out of your immediate control.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It will only go bang if you pull the trigger

I carry revolvers which don't have a safety and they have never went off without me pulling the trigger
    Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on target.

A holster that is custom-made for your Kahr cw9 or close enough for safety (covering the trigger) and retention and that meets your needs of concealment and comfort.

These are the basics. Master them. Mastering the basics makes you a master, right?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It will only go bang if you pull the trigger

I carry revolvers which don't have a safety and they have never went off without me pulling the trigger
    That is about what I was gonna type. Until a few years ago you didn't have safeties on revolvers. Now you see those stupid key lock safeties on Smiths. To me a safety is something else you have to do when it is trigger time. A good example is in one post on here somebody said they didn't get a shot off at a robber because of the safety. Lucky the other guy didn't shoot him, I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links