Obtaining the CCW permit should be harder.

This is a discussion on Obtaining the CCW permit should be harder. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at work and a co-worker said he is going to take his CCW class. I asked if he has ever shot a gun before ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Obtaining the CCW permit should be harder.

Was at work and a co-worker said he is going to take his CCW class. I asked if he has ever shot a gun before and he said, "a 410 like years and years ago". I also asked what kind of handgun/pistol he planned on getting for CCW. He said, "snub nose 357mag". I strongly urged him to practice and practice until he is good and his response was, "Nah.. no need to. You just point and shoot. Can't be that hard.." I also told him a snub nose 357mag is too much and the recoil would be massive. He looked at me with the look like, "don't tell me what to buy.." I wasn't.. Just giving him some pointers.

Not trying to restrict him, but damn, people like him is seriously going to make us look bad in the long run. you have these complete noobs running around with guns who have the slightest ideas about guns. CCW class should be harder. I'm starting to think a live range lesson and passing a shooting course before getting the CCW permit would be a good idea.

what do you guys think? Overkill?

Sounds like your co-worker is in for a surprise...

VIP Member
    Most permit holders I know carry their permits to show everyone, and seldom, if ever actually carry. Their laser-guided LCP stays in the car, or in the safe, nestled in the Uncle Mikes or Passport. How does that make me look bad?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Here, you have to pass a shooting test , and demonstrate knowledge of gun safety and gun handling. Don't know the requirements where you are, but here we have to.

He'll learn quickly.... about the first time he goes shooting it, and then he'll be more open to suggestions and training. Best to encourage him and leave your
    personal preferences out of things.

I would disagree with you that a snubnose .357 mag is too much or too much recoil. I don't consider the recoil "massive" at all.
    Don't know where you get that from, but if you told me that.... I would tell you to get lost and mind your own business too.
    The first handgun I shot ....was when I was about 8 yrs old was a .44 mag with a 10" barrel. A .357 was the first handgun I learned to shoot with.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

NMB
    Skills should be mandated through personal responsibility and oversight from the firearms community, not from some politician who doesnt have a clue.

I agree, we all must train and practice, otherwise we run the risk of doing more harm than good.

If your buddy thinks he can handle the snubby .357, let him. Maybe he can? If not he will figure it out quickly the first time he goes to the range.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Skills should be mandated through personal responsibility and oversight from the firearms community, not from some politician who doesnt have a clue.

I agree, we all must train and practice, otherwise we run the risk of doing more harm than good.

If your buddy thinks he can handle the snubby .357, let him. Maybe he can? If not he will figure it out quickly the first time he goes to the range.
    I don't carry revolvers, but if I did, I would carry my S&W19 snubby.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Here, you have to pass a shooting test , and demonstrate knowledge of gun safety and gun handling. Don't know the requirements where you are, but here we have to.

He'll learn quickly.... about the first time he goes shooting it, and then he'll be more open to suggestions and training. Best to encourage him and leave your
    personal preferences out of things.

I would disagree with you that a snubnose .357 mag is too much or too much recoil. I don't consider the recoil "massive" at all.
    Don't know where you get that from, but if you told me that.... I would tell you to get lost and mind your own business too.
    The first handgun I shot ....was when I was about 8 yrs old was a .44 mag with a 10" barrel. A .357 was the first handgun I learned to shoot with.
    Maybe "massive" isn't exactly the correct term, but a newbie carrying a fully loaded snub nose 357mag isn't such a good idea. His reason was because the 357 is powerful and will kill faster which we all know isn't exactly true. He has never shot a 357mag pistol before. I'm not underestimating the guy, but he is new to guns. i didn't think throwing personal preferences will do any harm. I don't mind others giving me their personal inputs on stuff whether it's guns or electronics..

being confident in the things you do is fine, but being over confident usually ends in disaster. Reminds me of a few people I ran into. They all want to carry a 44mag/50AE pistol because it looks badass and will scare the bad guys.

VIP Member
    Give the politicians a chance to set "common sense" standards and see what you get. A 40 hour class room and 24 hour range time class. Will be required for initial and renewal of permits. Class room portion will have a 100 question test, and a 98% required to pass. Range certification portion will be 100 rounds fire for on a scoring target. Best possible score being 1,000 points. A 950 will be required to pass the range portion. Cost will be minimal, $100.00 for the class and you must pay range fee's and supply the ammo.
    ep1953, msgt/ret, DaveH and 8 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't carry revolvers, but if I did, I would carry my S&W19 snubby.
    My daunty 5'2" tall daughter (32 yrs old) , loves her .357 snubby that she has.
    My granddaughter (15 almost 16) , likes Kimber .45's.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Overkill. Lets keep .gov out of this as much as possible. I doubt one more legally armed person with a .357 mag is really going to reflect that poorly on "us". Lots of us started out shooting the magnum revolvers. You may remember the .357 also shoots .38 special... Give your co-worker the benefit of the doubt, just like someone did for you at some point in time.

You should be encouraging this guy to get a really, really nice 357. Then take him shooting with you a few times. It's almost a guarantee you will be able to buy his really, really nice 357 at a really, really nice price.

Disagree about making it more difficult for a concealed carry permit. Sorry, but if he can point and shoot, knows the rules, and is not a felon, he's good to go. If you make it more difficult for him so he can meet what you consider a proper standard, you also make it more difficult for me and everyone else.
    Tayopo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    CCW class should be harder. I'm starting to think a live range lesson and passing a shooting course before getting the CCW permit would be a good idea.

what do you guys think? Overkill?
    No. No government should make requirements for exercising a right. Training should be encouraged---not mandated. I hear what you are saying...and agree in principle, but we don't need more govt "help"
    mrkurt, niks, msgt/ret and 10 others like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by 42TNred View Post
    Overkill. Lets keep .gov out of this as much as possible. I doubt one more legally armed person with a .357 mag is really going to reflect that poorly on "us". Lots of us started out shooting the magnum revolvers. You may remember the .357 also shoots .38 special... Give your co-worker the benefit of the doubt, just like someone did for you at some point in time.
    forgot to mention, i did mentioned that the revolver can also shoot 38spl. He said that round is too weak. It will reflect a bad image back at "us" if, let's say he does shoot a bad guy with it and ended up hurting or killing others nearby. If that doesn't look bad, I don't know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    You should be encouraging this guy to get a really, really nice 357. Then take him shooting with you a few times. It's almost a guarantee you will be able to buy his really, really nice 357 at a really, really nice price.

Disagree about making it more difficult for a concealed carry permit. Sorry, but if he can point and shoot, knows the rules, and is not a felon, he's good to go. If you make it more difficult for him so he can meet what you consider a proper standard, you also make it more difficult for me and everyone else.
    that is a good idea though.. maybe i will trade him one of my 9mm in the future.. LOL
    Hopyard likes this.

I agree that there should be more to the classes, but my definition of more and the government's definition of more aren't the same. There was a woman in my class who had never fired a gun before in her life. She was 67 years old and qualified with a .22 with a laser. She shot a better group than all of us. Our class was cut short due to a blizzard and we were lectured by a cop who spent a lot of his time telling us certain people should not be allowed to have children. Though I agreed with him, it was not his place at this class to say this stuff, but instead talk to us about firearms and their use is critical situations. I think the state should have someone audit course and see if they meet minimum standards. Then they should talk to the instructors if need be. If we intend to hold the line against stupid laws, we must try to be as responsible as possible.

When it comes to carrying, I have a light weight hammerless S&W .38 with Crimson Trace grips. Don't intend to get into a long range fire fight. I wouldn't want to be trying to bring a .357 back on target. That said, I also have a Springfield XDS 45, but I never fully trust a semi-auto with my life.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links