Criminals and the Guns They Carry

This is a discussion on Criminals and the Guns They Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was undergunned, one time, at an armed confrontation. Much like our beloved 007, I had to retire my Beretta .25 Nice and light...in a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Criminals and the Guns They Carry

I was undergunned, one time, at an armed confrontation. Much like our beloved 007, I had to retire my Beretta .25
    Nice and light...in a ladys handbag...no stopping power.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

2. Remove Ads

I once managed to load a round
    into a magazine backwards, and the dang thing actually fed. When it didn't go bang I found it sitting very nicely
    Your lucky you didn't shoot yourself LOL.
    Just because it's the wrong ammo doesn't mean it won't go bang at least once,I fired a 9mm in a 40, brass looked like a pregnant chicken
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    When I worked in metro area of Charlotte,NC we ran up on all kinds of guns when dealing in the hood, but they r not as dumb as u think. They mostly carry service round firearms , pump shotguns along with clubs, and box cutters. I've seen whole side streets shut down due to liquor houses or just gangs of people out on weekend nights. Police officers don't go into areas as such without a lot of backup. 200 hundred people and no bodies seen a thing if a incident jumps off. When something did happen we called it " going bee shack " like in hitting a hornets nest with a ballbat to see what happens.lol
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I came across an interesting and informative article on what the BGs are carrying.
    Thoughts?

Criminals and the Guns They Carry
    I have received training from Greg, the author of the article, and found him to be thorough in his research, knowledge and presentation.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

BGs don't fit into nice, neat models. There is a world of difference between a strung out Meth-Head and a well trained MS13 Gangsta. I guarantee you that the "Motorcycle Mafia" types (many of whom are former military service members)Are well equipped with functional weapons and ammo and know very wel how to use them.High quality weapons are easily obtained on the street and many of the BGs have the money from ill gotten gains to buy them. Look in the display case of any pawn shop, the day of the Loricins and Ravens is gone. The age of the "Quality Nine" is upon us. Little Gangstas can also get their weapons from their big brothers at home, however they won't be as well trained. Still, keep in mind that you don't have to be a marksman at 3 feet!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

That's just it. You don't know what a potential enemy is capable of. The incident near Rice Lake, WI several years ago highlighted that quite well. An ex-military guy, Chai Vang, trespassed onto some property, the owners made some stupid comments potentially trying to get him off their property and he lost it. Several died that day. He knew his firearm, and used his training instinctively.

From what I recall, Chai Vang had anger issues. Whatever happened between him and the other hunters just went sideways. We will never know the specifics as to what happened beause it's a one sided story with the other people who began the incident being dead. All that we know is that he was better trained, and became resolute in his determination to kill what he perceived were his attackers.

Never assume anything.

The below excerpt from the article should be posted in most gun shops today. As "pocket" or "mouse" guns become a hot seller, the general public goes seeking them out. And the gun store guys sell em like hotcakes with little attempt to talk someone out of their choices. I am not saying "pocket guns" are bad, but if I am facing a bad guy with a Glock 19, I would feel pretty bad with a Kahr PM380.

"1) If the armed citizen is going to face a criminal attacker, the criminal is likely to be armed with a medium to large caliber handgun, most likely a 9mm auto pistol. That tells me that I may not feel comfortable carrying a little pocket gun. I really don’t want to be carrying a small .32 automatic when my attacker is likely to be armed with a full sized Ruger, S&W, or Glock pistol! Carry enough gun!"
    Richard58 and Aceoky like this.

It is a pretty small study group but the author did say it mirrors larger studies so overall I am good with it.

I have to ask myself.... Wrong ammo or magazine???? Broken gun????

This study fits my criteria that an armed confrontation is combat and you need to be better armed and trained than your adversary. Only one person is gonna walk away.
    smolck likes this.

I suspect the guns seized were mostly from the dumb, inexperienced and sometimes unlucky criminals. I suspect many of the criminals still at large are free because they are smarter, better armed and better trained at shooting than the ones that were caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Osbornk View Post
    were mostly from the dumb, inexperienced and sometimes unlucky criminals.
    Most of the criminals I see in the paper, on TV and on COPS fall into this category. I think the "smart ones" are the exception and not the rule.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If the county I work for keeps records of this kind of thing, Ill have to ask to see it. I have heard that at many of the gang houses that are busted they find large "candy" dishes with mixed ammo in it. That kind of goes along with the article. And if most of there guns are stolen, whats the chances of getting the correct mag with it? However, just because the BG is waving a large cal handgun doesnt mean Ill feel under gunned with a 32 or 380. What I took away from the article is

Make sure it works!
    Make sure to have enough of the right ammo
    Make sure to know your gun
    and Make sure you have the mental ability to shoot when the time comes

DR

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Most of the criminals I see in the paper, on TV and on COPS fall into this category. I think the "smart ones" are the exception and not the rule.
    An incredible portion of violent criminals are 'obviously' low IQ. I mean, if you'd talk to them, it doesn't take long to realise that they don't have a grasp on things that you'd expect in that age-range.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    An incredible portion of violent criminals are 'obviously' low IQ. I mean, if you'd talk to them, it doesn't take long to realise that they don't have a grasp on things that you'd expect in that age-range.
    And if you watch COPS enough you also learn that they, more often than not, wear clothing that "doesn't belong to them", weird.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    That still leaves a big gap of firearms that are functioning. 59% is still far too high for me to make the assumption they are anything other than dangerous.

I do agree that the sample size seems awfully small.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Saw this article before.
    The BG's are possibly under the delusional thought process that any gun,{working or non} they wave in front of someone is going to scare the crap out of the victim, and they won't even have to fire.
    The unlucky "foolhardy" BG that runs into someone who is prepared and has a viable means of defending themselves finds himself up the creek without a paddle very quickly.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Here's my thoughts.

As far as we are concerned as armed citizens, our #1 goal is for us and our families to survive a dangerous encounter before we ever draw a weapon. The more knowledge and wisdom we have to make an educated guess or what the odds are before a decision is made to draw or not, you greatly stack the odds in your favor.

Sun Tzu and "The Art of War" is taught in our war colleges. It should be required reading for all squad leaders, platoon sergeants, platoon leaders and company commanders as well. Many battles and wars have been lost not adhering to Sun Tzu's uncontested wisdom, the Civil War and Vietnam come to mind.

Information / knowledge and the application of that information / knowledge is key to any battle, or in our case, a SHTF environment or crime committed against us and our families.

We need more detailed information like was provided in the above article to make better informed decisions before we make the best preparations and take life altering actions.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links