Criminals and the Guns They Carry

This is a discussion on Criminals and the Guns They Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across an interesting and informative article on what the BGs are carrying. Thoughts? Criminals and the Guns They Carry...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Criminals and the Guns They Carry

I came across an interesting and informative article on what the BGs are carrying.
    Thoughts?

The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

GH
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting this info. I printed it for future reference.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    His numbers include firearms that were in the criminal's house or car, indicating to me that the criminal may not regard the firearm as immediately usable. They should not have been included.
    Hopyard likes this.

I found the ammo they were loaded with interesting. All 22 RN? IDK if I ever even see that stuff in stores.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quite interesting.

This tends to reinforce the perception of some that criminals do not usually possess high powered intellect.

Out of 85 weapons seized:

- 24 are not loaded

- 2 are not loaded with the correct ammunition

- 9 are completely broken

Combine those facts and you will see that 41% of the weapons we seize from criminals are completely non-functional!

Now include the four guns that weren't fully loaded and the 17 with extremely limited function (no magazines, malfunctioned within 1st 3 rounds, etc.) and take a look at the results. In total, 66% of the guns we took from criminals were unable to be fired or could be fired for fewer than three rounds before being empty or experiencing a malfunction!

This sample is too small to be statistically valid mind you, but jeez.................41% of all criminals are non-functional

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

That still leaves a big gap of firearms that are functioning. 59% is still far too high for me to make the assumption they are anything other than dangerous.

I do agree that the sample size seems awfully small.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    His numbers include firearms that were in the criminal's house or car, indicating to me that the criminal may not regard the firearm as immediately usable. They should not have been included.
    Sort of brings that "41%" number into clearer view. Of the 33 broken or not loaded (out of 85 weapons seized), I wonder how many of those were sitting at the cleaning table as "spares" as compared to the number not seized which were actually their carry weapons. Statistics that make you go "Hmmm ..."

Hardly indicative that 41% of criminals aren't as dangerous, as the numbers mildly imply. Weak sampling's one of the wonders of the world, to be sure.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Including in the numbers weapons found in the home does not seem to be a good idea. I have 2 non fucntional firearms in my home. But if I am out and about, you can bet my weapon is loaded and fucntional.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I wonder whether large city police departments keep track of this sort of info about the guns they take off the street.
    Would such information be recorded by the arresting officers in their reports? (type/cal of firearm...loaded/unloaded... #of rounds, working or not, etc.)
    I have a feeling that this small sample and statistically-irrelevent tally is the best we'll get.
    Phillep Harding likes this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

At least the 85 weapons were the last 85 obtained, that makes the sample current to the writing of the article..

I am guessing that a BG weapon is any weapon they can steal from us.

VIP Member
    The numbers on non-functioning and malfunctioning guns used by criminals does not surprise me.

1) It isn't uncommon to read news stories where the BG attempted to fire and nothing happened.
    2) The typical BG has probably had almost ZERO chance to practice with whatever he has.
    3) They like semi-autos, but some semi-autos are tricky to use even for the experienced shooter.
    4) They put the wrong ammo in; even experienced shooters can make this error: mea culpa; even as an experienced shooter I once managed to load a round
    into a magazine backwards, and the dang thing actually fed. When it didn't go bang I found it sitting very nicely
    in the receiver with the primer end toward the muzzle.
    5) The gun is broken. Of course. The BG selling the gun on the black market is not going to sell one that works if he
    can rip off the buyer; after all, the buyer is buying from a thief to start with.

6) Lots of guns in homes are never cared for, have been sitting around forever, so dirt, rust, other grime accumulates.
    I suspect many are partially torn down.

Disabling guns that are not used regularly is not talked about much here, but I suspect there are many households with
    disabled guns; perhaps inherited from gramps who forgot how to reassemble, or whose arthritis caused him to not bother.
    oneshot and shockwave like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I think the hand guns used are what's available to them, not their chosen weapon. Rob a house, get whatever weapon was stolen. Also, just because the criminal has a 9mm and you may have a 380 makes no difference, He either hit's you or he doesn't, vice versa. Watch all the video of robberies available, once the crooks are shot at they run. The most important thing a ccw carrier can have is attitude, viscous attitude at that moment of truth, no hesitation.

most BG buy their ammo from other BG. Couple so called "gangsters" i went to high school carried FMJ painted red/blue. The guy who sold them ammo said they will kill no matter where they hit. The ammo that BG carry in their guns is probably the ammo that was in the gun when they stole it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links