Carry enough gun?

This is a discussion on Carry enough gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 I've only been on this forum for a couple weeks and I feel like this is asked a lot. The way ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carry enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I've only been on this forum for a couple weeks and I feel like this is asked a lot.

The way I see it, any gun is better than no gun. I personally don't understand why a "quick trip to the store" warrants any less of a caliber than you normally carry (especially since usually "quick trips to the store" tend to be the ones that get ugly). I guess if you don't feel like holstering up, but, I guess I just don't understand that personally.

Caliber wars are never going away. I know I'm just a "n00b", but I say do whatever the hell you want, and forget the rest.

When I see the "just going to the store, so I threw the 38 in my pocket" response, the first thing I think about is....."Hey! This guy/gal isn't carrying all the time". I put my pistol and holster on when I get dressed in the morning and don't take it off (except for my shower) until bed time. I don't just throw a pistol in my pocket. It's always on my belt. I read a report the other day that stated that over 60% of all self defense encounters happen in the home. If you don't carry at home.....you are really taking a chance with your safety.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    This works well for me,IWB carry..45ACP..untucked shirt=No Problem.

I used to carry my LCP every day every where, I am getting to the point now that the Wilson X-Tac is on my hip all day. If I'm going to a formal event I will regress to the LCP. That said, where I live is pretty tame and I don't feel bad about just carrying the LCP, the flip side is we are too near to Detroit.

I don't really have this problem, if I am awake I almost always have my gun on my hip. Doesn't come off until I get in bed and that includes working 12-16 hour days.

Has just become habit

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I agree with many, I carry everywhere I legally can, and on my hip at home there are time when it's just nice to take a small pocet carry, the key is you took it with you.....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)
    When I pocket carry it is because I decided to carry more than one gun that day. For me, it would be a mistake if I purposely decided not carry my primary gun.
    remington79 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)
    You're kidding. .38spl was used effectively by thousands upon thousands of police over decades and decades - and you won't make it to the store and back with it?

My main Carry is one of 2 Colt .38spl snubs from the early 60s with Buffalo Bore ammo. Ask around, find all the people who'd be OK with being shot harmlessly by these toys.

You're still armed, so that's good. I personally like my EDC on my hip even on quick trips out.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Not really a fan of a grab and go gun. Of course I put my gun on when I get up in the morning, and take it off when I go to bed at night. That being said, as long as you practice with it like you do your EDC, I see no problem with the .38 snubby.
    smolck likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Plenty of people have been killed by .38spl, over the years.

Is there a difference in your M638 versus your other larger-caliber pistol's terminal performance? Likely, some. But who's to tell what it would actually be, beyond basic lab-type ballistic test comparisons.

If you're concerned, then keep "strapping on" the larger caliber, instead of "slipping" an alternative into the pocket.

For myself, I feel reasonably comfortable with a smaller pocket-sized pistol or revolver. Though, I do feel a bit more comfortable with the protective ability of my larger, larger-caliber options. It's a question of balancing the factors, and minimums desired. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you feel under gunned carrying a .38 revolver, the problem isn’t with the weapon. The .38 is more than adequate to get the job done for a civilian just going to the store. One should always know the weapon they are carrying and its limitations, advantages and manual of arms. If need be, I will make use of a bench made knife in my pocket. Not throwing rocks but folks do tend to over think these things.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    If you feel under gunned carrying a .38 revolver, the problem isn’t with the weapon. The .38 is more than adequate to get the job done for a civilian just going to the store. One should always know the weapon they are carrying and its limitations, advantages and manual of arms. If need be, I will make use of a bench made knife in my pocket. Not throwing rocks but folks do tend to over think these things.
    Or under-think them, depending.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    From a statistical standpoint, you're about as likely to run into an armed confrontation as you are to be struck by lightning.
    Incorrect. There are far more victims of violent crime every year than lightning.
    detective likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    You're kidding. .38spl was used effectively by thousands upon thousands of police over decades and decades - and you won't make it to the store and back with it?

My main Carry is one of 2 Colt .38spl snubs from the early 60s with Buffalo Bore ammo. Ask around, find all the people who'd be OK with being shot harmlessly by these toys.

Amen brother, amen... Trick to effective protection with a gun is, proper loading and knowing how to use it and. Power level is mostly just gravy... IMO anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

While I concur that any gun is better than no gun I always dress with my carry weapon. I do not own any "pocket pistols" as I see no need in them. I don't take out my trash without my weapon on me. Why you might ask? Suppose I get to the end of my driveway and turn around to find 1 or 2 jackasses between me and my house. Now what? No cell phone, doors unlocked, sleeping wife. Not a good situation. No pocket pistol for me. Large, full frame, fully loaded and in my hand.
    BradL likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links