Carry enough gun? - Page 3

Carry enough gun?

This is a discussion on Carry enough gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Colorado during warm weather I OC, the holster and mag pouch never come off the belt, so even if I have taken my ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carry enough gun?

Here in Colorado during warm weather I OC, the holster and mag pouch never come off the belt, so even if I have taken my pants off "The Rig" is still on the belt so it is just put gun and mags in and go. When it gets cold it is the same rig just with a jacket so same thing.

In the past I have gotten to thinking I was overly paranoid 2 times and stopped carrying at all times, both times in short order there were situations I wished I was armed, one was just hairy, the other could have been fatal. I never, never go out unarmed, and armed with a serious fighting weapon (5" double stack 1911 .45 and 2 spare mags).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)

Location, location, location.

I live far removed from the suburbs of Detroit.
    My quick trip to the store is most likely a walk in the park.
    I still carry @ least a 12 shot 9, or a 11 shot .357 sig.
    Would I feel undergunned with my 442 with a speedload in the pocket?
    No.
    Would I do that in the bowels of Detroit, or even one of its suburbs?
    Probably not.
    You must determine your situation, and carry accordingly and live with your choices, should something arise.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    The "slip-in-the-pocket" option is viable. You should use the same training requirements/standards you use for your EDC, though. Other than that,do what works for you.

As far as statistics go, if we based our carry on statistics, very few of us would even carry. Personally, though, I don't intend to BE a statistic.

Calibe/capacity issues? Well, the idea od having enough gun is usually a pass/fail test. The better question is, do YOU have enough FIGHT in you?
    BigJon10125 and Chief1297 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I put my gun on when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. None of this strap it on or put it in my pocket when I go to the store or a quick errend BS.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Nothing wrong with a j frame or 38 spl. Don't listen to all the hype. Evaluate your own needs and weigh out your own logic.
    KoB, 10thmtn and CJM like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

i prefer .40 cal. 13+1 in my carry gun. but to be honest, i think any gun is sufficient. criminals don't like being shot at. no matter the caliber. look at any of the video footage of sd shootings. they run as soon as shots are fired. it's not like they take a minute to figure out what kind of gun is being shot at them.

now if someone has malicious intent towards you in particular, it may be a different story.
    Richard58 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Incorrect. There are far more victims of violent crime every year than lightning.
    That's true, but here in S.FL lightning does a pretty good job of keeping pace.
    As for the usefullness of a .38 Special, I feel the higher capacity of the 9mm handguns had more to do with PDs changing over than the power factor.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My CCW mantra is "Carry the largest caliber handgun I can effectively conceal in a proper holster that I have proper training and comfort using in a life threatening situation." All photos below are stock photos of holsters and not my guns.

That said, here is my normal carry choices:
    Every day carry with loose fitting shirt or coat = Sig 1911 Scorpion Carry (4.25" barrel) with Trijicon HD night sights in either a leather OWB or Blade-Tech kydex holster
    1345227792208_WS911M.jpg

p_098000139_2.jpg

When I must go with IWB I carry a Sig P239 with Trijicon HD night sights in a Brommeland Max-Con V
    MCVSET.jpg

Jogging I carry a Sig P238 in a Pistol Wear PT-2
    PT-2.jpg

If you are reading this forum and carry a CCW and don't regularly train you are not doing yourself any favors. In fact, you are more of a liability to society than an asset. Paraphrased from the Magpul tactical handgun training DVD. I agree with this mindset. Okay, I'm off my soapbox.
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Plenty of people have been killed by .38spl, over the years.
    I don't think anyone was questioning the lethality of a .38 special. I think the point was, is 5 rounds enough when faced with a criminal sporting a hi-cap 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    You're kidding. .38spl was used effectively by thousands upon thousands of police over decades and decades
    Sure, but since the advent of the reliable auto pistol, NOT ONE LEO agency I know about issues revolvers for their street officers, probably for a reason. By your logic, we should all have muskets, after all we beat the British with them. Technology gives us advantages, the criminals use it to theirs, we should use it to ours.

VIP Member
    If I am making a quick trip to the store I often do a similar thing, however, my variation is 2 j-frames, one on my hip in a side guard double tuck clip on holster and one in my pocket, in a pocket holster. Both loaded with buffalo bore ammo
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I believe it was Cirillo that said.....in a gunfight you'll want the Biggest Gun You Can Have.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)
    The only mistake would be if you fail to carry, or fail to practice with a gun you only occasionally carry. My EDC is an LC9, my house gun is a Glock 23. I only carry the Glock when the fiance and I are both out of the house together. I don't want her to have to worry about a reload or disengaging a safety if she needs to use the gun, so I leave my Glock home with her. I carry the LC9 with an extra mag. I can shoot the bullseye of a target out with either. I made sure I can shoot the LC9 just as accurately as the Glock before I relied on it for my EDC.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Far as I can figure, the only time what a bad guy has in his hand is going to change what I should be shooting back with, is if what he has in his hand came equipped with a splinter shield.

But, if someone can go Rambo with a quad .50, I don't think he is really going to need it to do a number on anyone who cannot out run him.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I don't think anyone was questioning the lethality of a .38 special. I think the point was, is 5 rounds enough when faced with a criminal sporting a hi-cap 9mm?

Sure, but since the advent of the reliable auto pistol, NOT ONE LEO agency I know about issues revolvers for their street officers, probably for a reason. By your logic, we should all have muskets, after all we beat the British with them. Technology gives us advantages, the criminals use it to theirs, we should use it to ours.
    Yes, the onset of guns with more rounds necessitated that and were I a police officer I would Carry more than 6 (Colt snubs shoot six). But civilian SD shootings, a rarity to begin with, use no more than a 2 or 3 shots habitually. I'm sure you might need more but the chance is so low from records of such shootings that you need not objectively be concerned with a 6 shooter for that reason. So, if you shoot it very well and use good ammo - and Buffalo Bore's three choices have at least two with penetration of 16"-20" (in straight .38) - you are plenty lethal.

I also rotate with semi-autos , so I'm not fixated on snubs, but I am at my best unarguably with them, and also good with others. But since a good deal of one's proficiency will almost certainly be absent in such a life and death crisis, those snubs may be the telling extra bit of proficiency that gets me over the hump.

Unless it's in a ridiculously weak caliber, I feel the gun you shoot the best is the one to Carry - and the above is how that shakes out with me.

Best

for a quick trip to the gas station, i would just throw my beretta nano in my pocket. If i'm gonna be out somewhere for a while and farther away, I carry my G19 on my hip. Round capacity will greatly help if i ever need it. Sometimes i carry both nano and G19..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links