Carry enough gun?

This is a discussion on Carry enough gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by detective So, if you shoot it very well and use good ammo I understand your points. But to the above one, that ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carry enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    So, if you shoot it very well and use good ammo
    I understand your points. But to the above one, that is another issue I have with a snub. Very few people actually shoot them enough to be proficient with them. I guess I just find it so easy to put on my CC weapon, I don't even think about having a different one. But hey, different strokes right?

2. Remove Ads

Let me throw a little curveball here...

For those of you who put the smaller gun in your pocket to make a quick run to the store: You are almost there when your cellphone rings. You answer and your significant other asks you to run a few more errands while you are out. You would now have to go to several different locations that you weren't planning on going to originally and two of the places you have never been to without your larger gun because the surrounding area is not the greatest. You would also have to go to one place you have never been before. You will now be out much later than you had originally anticipated and you will also have to make one additional stop of your own now because you no longer have enough fuel to run all the errands so you must stop at the gas station to fill up the tank.

What do you do? Do you accept your new missions and run the errands now? Do you turn down the new missions? Do you delay the new missions long enough to return home to get your normal EDC gun? Something else?
    smolck and BkCo1 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I understand your points. But to the above one, that is another issue I have with a snub. Very few people actually shoot them enough to be proficient with them. I guess I just find it so easy to put on my CC weapon, I don't even think about having a different one. But hey, different strokes right?
    Whatever gets you thru the night. Just read a story of someone chasing off a couple of guys beating on a third - with his handy Samurai Sword.

Whatever gets you thru the night...

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

For those of you who put the smaller gun in your pocket to make a quick run to the store: You are almost there when your cellphone rings. You answer and your significant other asks you to run a few more errands while you are out. You would now have to go to several different locations that you weren't planning on going to originally and two of the places you have never been to without your larger gun because the surrounding area is not the greatest. You would also have to go to one place you have never been before. You will now be out much later than you had originally anticipated and you will also have to make one additional stop of your own now because you no longer have enough fuel to run all the errands so you must stop at the gas station to fill up the tank.

What do you do? Do you accept your new missions and run the errands now? Do you turn down the new missions? Do you delay the new missions long enough to return home to get your normal EDC gun? Something else?
    I think this is a moot point if whatever you have you can shoot well. I mean we're not in Afghanistan with constant fire-fights. And if you can't shoot it - well why have a Carry gun you can't shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    And if you can't shoot it - well why have a Carry gun you can't shoot...
    Because you can't fix stupid, that's why. The average person doesn't train with their guns.

Well, seeing as how I am not one of those people who "don't ask dont tell" about my carry. I.E. my wife knows when and what I am carrying she would not ask me to go somewhere "unsafe" or under armed. If she needed something she'd either put on her EDC and go get it, or ask me to come get mine and probably her as well. Further, I don't live in a video game where there are "missions" to accept or decline, depending on load out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Because you can't fix stupid, that's why. The average person doesn't train with their guns.
    No, the way-below-average person doesn't train.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Well, seeing as how I am not one of those people who "don't ask dont tell" about my carry. I.E. my wife knows when and what I am carrying she would not ask me to go somewhere "unsafe" or under armed. If she needed something she'd either put on her EDC and go get it, or ask me to come get mine and probably her as well. Further, I don't live in a video game where there are "missions" to accept or decline, depending on load out.
    Really! You are going to nitpick because of the use of the word "mission", which by the way, you are the one who is using the wrong definition.

mission - a task to be performed

...she would not ask me to go somewhere "unsafe" or under armed...
    So are you saying that by only carrying your small pocket gun you would consider yourself "under armed" for performing the tasks mentioned above and would not perform the tasks at this time?

By the way, I never used the word "unsafe"...that is your word not mine. I did say that "the surrounding area is not the greatest" which may affect someone's level of comfort when going somewhere.

My post up above adds a new element to the scenario which might be a possibility for some people. Feel free to let us know how you would handle the situation which has been presented.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member

Gosh, where do I begin?

First, let me say that I am unable to carry a gun at work, nor can I keep one in my vehicle due to the fact that I drive on to No-Gun facilities regularly. With that said, I'll tell you a secret. Sshhh! Sometimes, on my way home, I stop at the store. WITHOUT A GUN!!

Second, if my SO, or anyone else, wanted me to go someplace that I felt was unsafe to go in to without a gun, I wouldn't go, EVEN IF I WAS CARRYING.

Most of us do not live in a war zone, yet many act as if the do. It can happen any time, any place. I understand that and I agree. But, I don't let that stop me from living my life. If some of us, for whatever reason, decide to carry a smaller gun to go get their Ben & Jerry fix. Fine, provided they are competent with that smaller gun. It isn't about the gun, though. It is about our willingness to FIGHT and to SURVIVE by any means necessary.

That gun is certainly NOT a magic talisman that will keep you safe from harm. It is simply a tool to help you leverage your side of the FIGHT.

If you are not comfortable with a smaller gun, so be it. Just remember, that "bigger" gun isn't going to do you any more good than the "smaller" if you make poor decisions regarding where go and the things you do when you get there.
    LaraCroft10, NCG, bsms and 1 others like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I am not saying that we live in a "war zone" or that you will be going to a place that is "unsafe"...those are words used by other people, not me. The closest things to "unsafe" are possibly the gas station, the place you have never been to before and two places that are in neighborhoods that are not the greatest...I did not say that it is the worst neighborhood in America, it is just not the greatest...it is someplace that you have been before (just armed differently).

Let me see if I can clarify this...

You chose to arm yourself with the smaller pocket gun.

You go out to one store.

While out, you are asked to go to several other places.

Two of the places are surrounded by an area that is not the greatest and you've been there before and you were armed. The difference is that you were not armed the same way you are now.

One of the places you have never been to before.

You will be out much later in the evening than you had originally anticipated.

You will also need to stop and fill up the gas tank.

What do you do?

Do you run the additional errands now?

Do you return home without running the additional errands?

Do you return home to get your larger EDC gun and then go run the errands?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

I practice at the range monthly as my instructor told me to do. I put my LCP in the family room drawer (close for watching tv) and my EDC is now the Kahr CM9 with Critical Duty +P. Point is I moved up to the 9 from .380. I will go up to the .40 when it is colder and it will be colder here, also with Hornady CD loaded up. Especially since the Salon shooting in Brookfield, WI where the BG used a .40. Just sayin'
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

The 6un I carry is on my avatar, its all I need I carry it in my pocket or down my pants in the front with my shirt over it, its not so much the size of the gun you use its the load thats in it !!! I use hollow point, im not trying to stop a lion or an elephant, its just a human, this will do the job just fine.... Eddie

I am not saying that we live in a "war zone" or that you will be going to a place that is "unsafe"...those are words used by other people, not me. The closest things to "unsafe" are possibly the gas station, the place you have never been to before and two places that are in neighborhoods that are not the greatest...I did not say that it is the worst neighborhood in America, it is just not the greatest...it is someplace that you have been before (just armed differently).

Let me see if I can clarify this...

You chose to arm yourself with the smaller pocket gun.

You go out to one store.

While out, you are asked to go to several other places.

Two of the places are surrounded by an area that is not the greatest and you've been there before and you were armed. The difference is that you were not armed the same way you are now.

One of the places you have never been to before.

You will be out much later in the evening than you had originally anticipated.

You will also need to stop and fill up the gas tank.

What do you do?

Do you run the additional errands now?

Do you return home without running the additional errands?

Do you return home to get your larger EDC gun and then go run the errands?
    To further Road Runner, IF I DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE GOING WITHOUT MY EDC (bigger gun) THEN I WOULD NOT GO THERE AT ALL, EVEN IF ARMED WITH EVERY WEAPON I OWN. I don't carry to protect myself from "known threats" or "bad parts of town, I have my brain for that-brain says "too dangerous without gun" then I translate as "too dangerous for you". Same with the "too dangerous without bigger gun" I hear "too dangerous EVEN WITH BIGGEST GUN".

My gun is not a magic talisman that wards off evil, it is a tool to use if I HAVE TO, I do my best to avoid having to use those particular tools.
    bsms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    its just a human, this will do the job just fine....
    Yea, but to the OP's point, what if it is 2 humans? Hitting 2 moving targets with only 6 shots out of a snub is a LOT to ask anyone.

I carry two small guns, because my social and business needs are discreet.

The concept of "carry[ing] enough gun" is laughable when discussing handguns, because NONE of them are "enough" gun. It's like arguing the effectiveness of a knife with a 3 inch blade, versus a 3.1 or a 3.15 inch blade. It ain't gonna matter. If you really wanted enough gun, you'd be using a long gun.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 24th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
    Ogre and Secret Spuk like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links