Carry enough gun? - Page 5

Carry enough gun?

This is a discussion on Carry enough gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 decide to carry a smaller gun to go get their Ben & Jerry fix. Mmm, I love my Cherry Garcia with ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carry enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    decide to carry a smaller gun to go get their Ben & Jerry fix.
    Mmm, I love my Cherry Garcia with a sprinkle of .22s on top!

Honestly, I feel like people are overthinking this like crazy. It's easy for me because I have one EDC - no choices to make. I don't feel like there needs to be any. As long as you're comfortable with your gun, and you can shoot it well, WHO CARES about the rest?

I really want Ben & Jerry's now...
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

"Carry enough gun" in the context of CCW. Yes, I would like to have a belt fed 10 gauge shotgun for most self defense situations. But that is impractical. In the context of CCW my standard is, what do I want to have and still be practical if I'm attacked by multiple armed BG's. BG's tend to run in packs. I understand that surviving an attack by multiple BG's is unlikely but it does still fall within the realm of possibility. The BG's will probably be moving and shooting at me and not to standing in one spot like targets on a shooting range. Some of my shots might miss completely or be peripheal hits. Drawing a second gun or doing a mag change while under attack from multiple attackers will be difficult. The BG's might not know I'm using the latest greatest death ray ammo and take several hits before they fall down.

I don't want to go into a fight for my life with the minimum, I want to give myself the best chance possible.
    Last edited by rick21; October 23rd, 2012 at 08:35 PM.

I carried a 442 for many years in a pocket holster. I had carried something similar for more years as a BUG and felt comfortable with the ease of holstering and that I could casually walk around with my hand in my pocket. I've stepped up to a compact .45, which obviously has a difference holstering circumstance and is not as easily accessible. I wasn't comfortable anymore with the 5-shot .38. I said all that to say this: If you carry two guns on an on-off basis, make sure you practice that way. I made the easy mistake of just dropping in an even smaller BUG to go recover my son's stolen bike. A longer story short - things got ugly very fast and I was under gunned. Fortunately, I learned from my experience.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

My EDC is a S&W 4516 with an extra magazine in a smart carry holster. Around the house I dress casual and don't wear the smart carry. However, no matter where I sit down in the house there is a .45 of one brand or another falling directly under the reach of my right hand. Even when I'm on the treadmill getting the exercise my doctor says I have to do everyday so my blood suger doesn't get too high and cause my head to explode I keep a .45 in the cup holder on the treadmill.

The entire reason I started this thread is as I stated, I am sometimes too lazy to put on the smart carry and just slip the .38 in the pocket. After considering all the replies I think I have changed my mind. From now on when I go out it will be with the smart carry and the bigger gun. If I slip the .38 in the pocket in the future it will be as a BUG.

Thanks again for all the input.

Senior Moderator
    I normally carry a .357 snub-nose revolver, when I feel I need to carry more gun I pick my .357 S&W 65 or my Ruger Speed Six. I have hi-capacity autos but now they are all safe queens.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Question for all of you "I stap on in the moring and dont take it off till bed time" people. Don't you ever set around in your boxers and watch TV? There has been days when I never put on "pants".

I wear bibs most days, so a "belt line'' I do not have, so pocket carry is the only real choice for me most days. LCR 38 right front pocket with 2 speed strips in my rear pocket.

bsms likes this.

CJM
    The lack of skill set and survival mindset is what makes a person undergunned, not what gun they're carrying. The reason I carry a full size gun is because it's what I shoot the best, it's what I have, and it's what I know. If I had the resources to buy a pocket gun, and train enough to be proficient with said pocket gun, I might own one. But since I don't, I don't have to worry about making the wrong decision as far as which gun I leave the house with.

If I had to go into a gunfight right now with a partner, I would rather have a well trained shooter with a Ruger LCP on my side than an under trained sofa commado with a full size duty pistol and a belt full of spare mags.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    Question for all of you "I stap on in the moring and dont take it off till bed time" people. Don't you ever set around in your boxers and watch TV? There has been days when I never put on "pants".

I wear bibs most days, so a "belt line'' I do not have, so pocket carry is the only real choice for me most days. LCR 38 right front pocket with 2 speed strips in my rear pocket.
    No bib overalls, no watching the tube in my frootathelooms, and no pocket carry for me, but thanks for asking.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

All of us pick a spot somewhere between armed to the teeth and pocket carrying a .380 based on our needs and level of caution. I don't want to be so fearful that I carry always except when sleeping. Sure I carry always when I'm out of the house although I have to leave it in the car while at work. At home I feel its enough to have a pistol in the same part of the house we're in. In the morning I carry my Glock 23 downstairs and place it out of sight but still handy and always in the same place. When we go to bed I carry it back upstairs to my nightstand. I don't usually carry one on me around the house.

Outside the home, I feel that carrying an LC9 with an extra mag is enough most of the time. I think that good situational awareness and a pocket pistol beats no situational awareness and a hand cannon any day, as long as you are confident in your skill with your pocket pistol. I feel that for me, high situational awareness and a hand cannon is overkill and I don't want to be uncomfortable carrying a full size 1911 or Glock everywhere. I have found what works for me and makes me feel well protected while also allowing me to be somewhat easy going and not constantly thinking about the brick strapped to my hip.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

My rules...

Bigger is better.

Take what you can when you can.

Have better firepower and training than the other guy.

Watch your 6.

Trouble doesn't tell you it is coming. It is always unannounced. Regardless of what you have handy or the scenario, you better be ready for it between your ears.

No, Paullie, I do not. I'm just too formal for sitting around in my skivvy-drawers.

I do not wear bib overalls, but overalls have to be rather suitable for carrying all sorts of things in pockets or openings. One could almost carry a rifle in some.

So, basic rules of carrying. Always carry. Always carry with a minimum of one reload. Always carry the biggest sidearm possible, consistent with clothing and social restrictions (which may mean a derringer or .25 auto in one's underwear.)

Having only one gun rather simplifies the decision process.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I keep a weapon (9mm with a fifteen round magazine+one in the chamber) and a holster plus two extra fully loaded ten round mags in my car.

I know exactly where it is, what it is and how to get to it and how to operate it.

It goes where I go when I am driving. If I am in a bad area or just get that "funny feeling" (some people call it paranoia) when I
    exit the vehicle I will either slip the gun in my belt or put the whole rig on. Sometimes I don't arm myself for a quick in and out, but when that
    happens I take a good look around before I leave the vehicle and keep my eyes and ears open after I leave the vehicle.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    My rules...

Bigger is better.

Take what you can when you can.

Have better firepower and training than the other guy.

Watch your 6.

Trouble doesn't tell you it is coming. It is always unannounced. Regardless of what you have handy or the scenario, you better be ready for it between your ears.
    What do you carry?

Have you attended any formal training?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    It takes very little time to snap on my G19 in an Archangel holster and spare magazine pouch to be infinitely better armed than with any pocket pistol.

My G26 is, in fact the smallest gun I own.
    Exactly true for me also. The G26 is the smallest pistol I carry. Most of the time is the Glock 19 or the Beretta px4c. Both are 15+1, and with +p ammo + 1 15 round magazine.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. I carry my 640 or 642 with a speed strip and I never feel as though I'm compromising. Perhaps I feel this way because I shoot it often and I am very familiar with it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links