Defensive Carry banner

Carry enough gun?

9K views 94 replies 64 participants last post by  BkCo1 
#1 ·
In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)

#2 ·
It takes very little time to snap on my G19 in an Archangel holster and spare magazine pouch to be infinitely better armed than with any pocket pistol.

My G26 is, in fact the smallest gun I own.

#3 ·
I've only been on this forum for a couple weeks and I feel like this is asked a lot.

The way I see it, any gun is better than no gun. I personally don't understand why a "quick trip to the store" warrants any less of a caliber than you normally carry (especially since usually "quick trips to the store" tend to be the ones that get ugly). I guess if you don't feel like holstering up, but, I guess I just don't understand that personally.

Caliber wars are never going away. I know I'm just a "n00b", but I say do whatever the hell you want, and forget the rest.

#16 ·
When I see the "just going to the store, so I threw the 38 in my pocket" response, the first thing I think about is....."Hey! This guy/gal isn't carrying all the time". I put my pistol and holster on when I get dressed in the morning and don't take it off (except for my shower) until bed time. I don't just throw a pistol in my pocket. It's always on my belt. I read a report the other day that stated that over 60% of all self defense encounters happen in the home. If you don't carry at home.....you are really taking a chance with your safety.

#4 ·
Hardly a mistake. The "zeroth" law of gunfighting is "have a gun."

From a statistical standpoint, you're about as likely to run into an armed confrontation as you are to be struck by lightning. However, most of us endowed with even a little common sense don't carry metal rods in our outstretched arms in lightning storms, and in fact we may look for a safe place to wait out the storm.

Your practice of slipping the snub into the pocket for that quick trip to the store is pretty common, and you're covering the bases by being armed. I do the same. But if I need to venture into an unknown area, or if I'm out after dark, I'm much more likely to carry heavier artillery and more than a single reload. I don't look at being armed as a binary state; I arm myself according to the perceived threat level. Some will take issue with that, and I won't argue the point except to say that's my practice.

#6 ·
From a statistical standpoint, you're about as likely to run into an armed confrontation as you are to be struck by lightning.
I guess my thought process is, I have one carry gun, it holds more rounds than I think I need (13) in a fight and it goes where I go. If I am headed to the store, I strap it on same as anywhere else I go because I don't have the luxury of knowing when "lightning" is gonna strike. But if it does, I want to have significant amounts of "thunder" with which to respond.

#5 ·
I always have a pocket pistol on me, where legal. I sometimes have a G19 on my hip. I think it is better to have a larger capacity gun, but I rarely feel undergunned with a pocket .380.

You are going to get lots of different opinions.

In short, do what you feel comfortable with.

#7 ·
If you are happy with it, what difference could my opinion possibly make? The pistol pictured in my avatar is the one which most often goes to the store with me.

#8 ·
We should do what has the best chance of keeping us off the table with the drain holes. It's the only reason we carry.

My opinion is, one pistol, one holster and one carry position, all the time. If I should have to draw my pistol it will be because someone(s) is trying to kill me. I want my hand to go to one carry position and draw one pistol without having to think about what and where I'm carrying. I want my all my concentration to go on what's trying to kill me.

#11 ·
This is exactly my thought on this. Don't carry the .380 in the pocket any more (unless I'm dressed up, like for the wedding last weekend).

Like my signature says, if I'm going to the store for a quick run that means I haven't got in bed yet and that means my EDC is still on my hip.

#10 ·
EP1953, I'm with you on this. I carry my Airweight .38 special in a pocket holster. On those quick trips, or when I don't want to change into my "gun wardrobe". If I'm planning to out all day away from home I'll carry the SR9c and spare mag.

#12 ·
I always like my snubbie 38spcl because in a tight situation where actual physical contact may occur my 38 is a lot move maneuverable and easier to get a hold of than my ruger 40 which is what I use in the woods surveying.

#13 ·
We don't all drive the same kind of vehicle, we don't all live in the same style house, we don't all shoot the same make or model firearm, we don't all shoot the same caliber.

Carry whatever make/model/capacity/caliber you feel is enough gun for you. The other opinions don't matter.

#14 ·
I often carry a ruger lcp or a db9 when making quick trips. The function more as a back up gun for my 45... however as we all no 380, 38, 45 or even 22 would all suck to be shot with .....

Guns are like condoms I'd rather have one and not need it then need it and not have one

#15 ·
I carry my EDC any where I go. I carry it in a Fobus OWB paddle holster with my shirt tail hanging over it. It's easy to just slip the holster paddle inside my pants and I'm ready to go.

#18 ·
I used to carry my LCP every day every where, I am getting to the point now that the Wilson X-Tac is on my hip all day. If I'm going to a formal event I will regress to the LCP. That said, where I live is pretty tame and I don't feel bad about just carrying the LCP, the flip side is we are too near to Detroit.

#20 ·
I agree with many, I carry everywhere I legally can, and on my hip at home there are time when it's just nice to take a small pocet carry, the key is you took it with you.....

#29 ·
You're kidding. .38spl was used effectively by thousands upon thousands of police over decades and decades - and you won't make it to the store and back with it?

My main Carry is one of 2 Colt .38spl snubs from the early 60s with Buffalo Bore ammo. Ask around, find all the people who'd be OK with being shot harmlessly by these toys.

Amen brother, amen... Trick to effective protection with a gun is, proper loading and knowing how to use it and. Power level is mostly just gravy... IMO anyway.:yup:

#24 ·
Not really a fan of a grab and go gun. Of course I put my gun on when I get up in the morning, and take it off when I go to bed at night. That being said, as long as you practice with it like you do your EDC, I see no problem with the .38 snubby.

Reactions: smolck
#25 ·
Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?
Plenty of people have been killed by .38spl, over the years.

Is there a difference in your M638 versus your other larger-caliber pistol's terminal performance? Likely, some. But who's to tell what it would actually be, beyond basic lab-type ballistic test comparisons.

If you're concerned, then keep "strapping on" the larger caliber, instead of "slipping" an alternative into the pocket.

For myself, I feel reasonably comfortable with a smaller pocket-sized pistol or revolver. Though, I do feel a bit more comfortable with the protective ability of my larger, larger-caliber options. It's a question of balancing the factors, and minimums desired. YMMV.

#39 ·
Plenty of people have been killed by .38spl, over the years.
I don't think anyone was questioning the lethality of a .38 special. I think the point was, is 5 rounds enough when faced with a criminal sporting a hi-cap 9mm?

You're kidding. .38spl was used effectively by thousands upon thousands of police over decades and decades
Sure, but since the advent of the reliable auto pistol, NOT ONE LEO agency I know about issues revolvers for their street officers, probably for a reason. By your logic, we should all have muskets, after all we beat the British with them. Technology gives us advantages, the criminals use it to theirs, we should use it to ours.

#26 ·
If you feel under gunned carrying a .38 revolver, the problem isn’t with the weapon. The .38 is more than adequate to get the job done for a civilian just going to the store. One should always know the weapon they are carrying and its limitations, advantages and manual of arms. If need be, I will make use of a bench made knife in my pocket. Not throwing rocks but folks do tend to over think these things.

Reactions: Secret Spuk
#30 ·
While I concur that any gun is better than no gun I always dress with my carry weapon. I do not own any "pocket pistols" as I see no need in them. I don't take out my trash without my weapon on me. Why you might ask? Suppose I get to the end of my driveway and turn around to find 1 or 2 jackasses between me and my house. Now what? No cell phone, doors unlocked, sleeping wife. Not a good situation. No pocket pistol for me. Large, full frame, fully loaded and in my hand.

Reactions: BradL
#31 ·
Here in Colorado during warm weather I OC, the holster and mag pouch never come off the belt, so even if I have taken my pants off "The Rig" is still on the belt so it is just put gun and mags in and go. When it gets cold it is the same rig just with a jacket so same thing.

In the past I have gotten to thinking I was overly paranoid 2 times and stopped carrying at all times, both times in short order there were situations I wished I was armed, one was just hairy, the other could have been fatal. I never, never go out unarmed, and armed with a serious fighting weapon (5" double stack 1911 .45 and 2 spare mags).

#32 ·
In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)

Location, location, location.

I live far removed from the suburbs of Detroit.
My quick trip to the store is most likely a walk in the park.
I still carry @ least a 12 shot 9, or a 11 shot .357 sig.
Would I feel undergunned with my 442 with a speedload in the pocket?
No.
Would I do that in the bowels of Detroit, or even one of its suburbs?
Probably not.
You must determine your situation, and carry accordingly and live with your choices, should something arise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.