Carry enough gun?

This is a discussion on Carry enough gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Carry enough gun?

Carry enough gun?

In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)

2. Remove Ads

It takes very little time to snap on my G19 in an Archangel holster and spare magazine pouch to be infinitely better armed than with any pocket pistol.

My G26 is, in fact the smallest gun I own.

I've only been on this forum for a couple weeks and I feel like this is asked a lot.

The way I see it, any gun is better than no gun. I personally don't understand why a "quick trip to the store" warrants any less of a caliber than you normally carry (especially since usually "quick trips to the store" tend to be the ones that get ugly). I guess if you don't feel like holstering up, but, I guess I just don't understand that personally.

Caliber wars are never going away. I know I'm just a "n00b", but I say do whatever the hell you want, and forget the rest.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Hardly a mistake. The "zeroth" law of gunfighting is "have a gun."

From a statistical standpoint, you're about as likely to run into an armed confrontation as you are to be struck by lightning. However, most of us endowed with even a little common sense don't carry metal rods in our outstretched arms in lightning storms, and in fact we may look for a safe place to wait out the storm.

Your practice of slipping the snub into the pocket for that quick trip to the store is pretty common, and you're covering the bases by being armed. I do the same. But if I need to venture into an unknown area, or if I'm out after dark, I'm much more likely to carry heavier artillery and more than a single reload. I don't look at being armed as a binary state; I arm myself according to the perceived threat level. Some will take issue with that, and I won't argue the point except to say that's my practice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I always have a pocket pistol on me, where legal. I sometimes have a G19 on my hip. I think it is better to have a larger capacity gun, but I rarely feel undergunned with a pocket .380.

You are going to get lots of different opinions.

In short, do what you feel comfortable with.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    From a statistical standpoint, you're about as likely to run into an armed confrontation as you are to be struck by lightning.
    I guess my thought process is, I have one carry gun, it holds more rounds than I think I need (13) in a fight and it goes where I go. If I am headed to the store, I strap it on same as anywhere else I go because I don't have the luxury of knowing when "lightning" is gonna strike. But if it does, I want to have significant amounts of "thunder" with which to respond.
    remington79 and Sky Pilot like this.

VIP Member
    If you are happy with it, what difference could my opinion possibly make? The pistol pictured in my avatar is the one which most often goes to the store with me.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

We should do what has the best chance of keeping us off the table with the drain holes. It's the only reason we carry.

My opinion is, one pistol, one holster and one carry position, all the time. If I should have to draw my pistol it will be because someone(s) is trying to kill me. I want my hand to go to one carry position and draw one pistol without having to think about what and where I'm carrying. I want my all my concentration to go on what's trying to kill me.
    velo99, Sky Pilot and BradL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    In the thread titled "Criminals and the Guns They Carry" there was some discussion of "carry enough gun" and pocket guns not being a good idea.

Sometimes when I am making a quick trip to the store I will slip a S&W model 638 38spl in my pocket because I don't want to bother with my concealed holster the the .45 I normally carry. Am I making a mistake?

(yes the .38 is in a pocket holster, not just loose in my pocket)
    No mistake. Just be able to shoot well.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member
    EP1953, I'm with you on this. I carry my Airweight .38 special in a pocket holster. On those quick trips, or when I don't want to change into my "gun wardrobe". If I'm planning to out all day away from home I'll carry the SR9c and spare mag.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick21 View Post
    We should do what has the best chance of keeping us off the table with the drain holes. It's the only reason we carry.

My opinion is, one pistol, one holster and one carry position, all the time. If I should have to draw my pistol it will be because someone(s) is trying to kill me. I want my hand to go to one carry position and draw one pistol without having to think about what and where I'm carrying. I want my all my concentration to go on what's trying to kill me.
    This is exactly my thought on this. Don't carry the .380 in the pocket any more (unless I'm dressed up, like for the wedding last weekend).

Like my signature says, if I'm going to the store for a quick run that means I haven't got in bed yet and that means my EDC is still on my hip.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I always like my snubbie 38spcl because in a tight situation where actual physical contact may occur my 38 is a lot move maneuverable and easier to get a hold of than my ruger 40 which is what I use in the woods surveying.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We don't all drive the same kind of vehicle, we don't all live in the same style house, we don't all shoot the same make or model firearm, we don't all shoot the same caliber.

Carry whatever make/model/capacity/caliber you feel is enough gun for you. The other opinions don't matter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I often carry a ruger lcp or a db9 when making quick trips. The function more as a back up gun for my 45... however as we all no 380, 38, 45 or even 22 would all suck to be shot with .....

Guns are like condoms I'd rather have one and not need it then need it and not have one

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I carry my EDC any where I go. I carry it in a Fobus OWB paddle holster with my shirt tail hanging over it. It's easy to just slip the holster paddle inside my pants and I'm ready to go.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links