City Published Personal Information of Some Gun Owners

This is a discussion on City Published Personal Information of Some Gun Owners within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^ So Florida doesnt post criminal dockets/names/dispositions?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: City Published Personal Information of Some Gun Owners

^ So Florida doesnt post criminal dockets/names/dispositions?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Maybe this would make him last on the list of "People who I plan to rob".
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "The following news paper employees do NOT have concealed carry permits. The addresses are their last known."

See what happens then.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    A few years ago, an anti-gun newspaper in Roanoke published a database of concealed carries in ENTIRE state Virginia. Needless to say they were blasted for doing it....& after a couple pf weeks they took it down.
    Yup.

And the Governor ordered the SP to block non-official access to the data-base.

However, there are still local papers that go to the Clerk-of-court and publish newly issued CHP holders info. And a new Governor could reverse the current executive order.

VCDL has been working for years to get a law passed to make it law to stop the practice. For the life of me I do not understand the lack of votes.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    As much as I hate the litigious nature of society in America today, I still can't believe this hasn't resulted in a monumental class action suit against the counties and states where this has taken place.

They complain about straw purchase in Phila. And criminals getting guns in their hands due to houses getting robbed, and yet now they are posting people's names of who has a permit? Real smart...

Abhorrent policy, no matter the state law allowing such things.

Publishing public record of the People's business is one thing. But, IMO, publishing lists of such issued licensing is done for vicious reasons only: to imply such people are dangerous, merely because of a CHL, having gone through the background check sieve, etc.

To my way of thinking, it's hardly a list similar to, say, of those who've been issued building permits, or those who've been issued business licenses.

One would think that, as a matter of honor, such "news" organizations daring to publish citizen data such as this (down to the physical home address and all) would publish the full contact information for each and every hired person working for that organization: president, publisher, reporters and all. Let them whine about that, if they're going to dare publish such things as CHL lists.

As a matter of honor, too, one would think the People would elect such hirelings as would statutorily declare such data off-limits and force it to be incapable of being stored in one place for any length of time, with extremely harsh criminal penalties for anyone violating the prohibition on publishing the least part of such data, outside the one-by-one use of an individual's data specifically ONLY for warranted LE purposes conducted by certain LE personnel. Some states have done this, more or less; most seem to have taken the low road, on the issue.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    ^ So Florida doesnt post criminal dockets/names/dispositions?
    Probably posted somewhere, but the local paper does list all the arrests made by the local LEOs. But that's public record--the names and data about CC License holders is not, by state statute.

790.0601 Public records exemption for concealed weapons.(1) Personal identifying information of an individual who has applied for or received a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to s. 790.06 held by the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This exemption applies to such information held by the division before, on, or after the effective date of this section.
    (2) Information made confidential and exempt by this section shall be disclosed:
    (a) With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his or her legally authorized representative.
    (b) By court order upon a showing of good cause.
    (c) Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties, which shall include access to any automated database containing such information maintained by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I agree, they have no business publishing the information, and should pay for it. I hope the lawyer suing the city does his job and hits them deep in the pockets.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Don't States make money by selling license information of its citizens?

Oklahoma brings in millions by selling personal data
    Oklahoma brings in millions by selling personal data | .Politics

Florida Makes $63M Selling Drivers' Info
    Florida Makes $63M Selling Drivers' Info | News - Home

Ohio collects millions selling driving records with your personal information
    Ohio collects millions selling driving records with your personal information | cleveland.com

Are these the people we are supposed to contact about protecting our privacy? One second while I let the fox back in the hen house to protect my chickens.

Michael

In Delaware, you have to post your intent to obtain a CCDW permit in a local paper for five days as part of the CCDW process, but you only have to list your city, not your address.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Liberals press ideas that may get law abiding citizens hurt or killed by giving out their personal info.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    They complain about straw purchase in Phila. And criminals getting guns in their hands due to houses getting robbed, and yet now they are posting people's names of who has a permit? Real smart...
    And so the problem begins to feed on itself. There's a term for this, I just can't remember what it is right now.

Could go with "Self fulfilling prophecy" if you want.

For nearly three years, the owners at Brew City Shooters Supply - formerly known as Badger Guns - were turning over the names of everyone who used the shooting range to West Milwaukee police.

Apparently, most of the users didn't know that, and a backlash prompted earlier this month has led owner Mike Allan to change his policy.
    Shooting range stops giving police users' names
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    In Delaware, you have to post your intent to obtain a CCDW permit in a local paper for five days as part of the CCDW process, but you only have to list your city, not your address.
    One doesn't have to think very hard to realize the backlash a person could experience in a state in which at-will employment is the norm. All it takes is an "enterprising" bureaucrat or manager at a company to foul up a person's employment there, at a company in which "anti" policies translate into action.
    mlr1m likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links