City Published Personal Information of Some Gun Owners

This is a discussion on City Published Personal Information of Some Gun Owners within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unbelievable. How would you like to have your name, address, and reason for applying for a carry permit published on the city website? And then ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: City Published Personal Information of Some Gun Owners

Unbelievable. How would you like to have your name, address, and reason for applying for a carry permit published on the city website? And then linked to by the Drudge Report?

[Philadelphia's Department of Licenses and Inspections] posted on its website Lawrence's full name, address and the specific reasons he wanted the permit - along with an interactive map to help users find their way to his doorstep.

GUN SHY: City published personal information of some gun owners

Oh that happened in my area -- WRAL publishes CCP's

And our response -- Grass Roots NC response

A perfectly good reason why you should not be required to have a permit. This would never have happened if the Government did not have access to those names.

Michael

Give them my address and I'll be glad to welcome them.
    FoggyGoggles likes this.

Are all the city workers' names and addresses posted for the public?

Bet not!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Anyone who reports such information should also have their information published online.

Let the criminals know that they either A. have weapons worth stealing or B. have no weapons to defend themselves with and are ripe for the picking.
    ANGLICO and sdprof like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Something seems wrong with the story. "For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department."
    I put part in bold. Carrying a Concealed Firearm/Gun in Pennsylvania The story however refers to information released by, " the city's Department of Licenses and Inspections."

Maybe that is journalistic malpractice. Maybe there is another angle on the story. The city really shouldn't and
    wouldn't normally be involved in these matters.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

"...............shall not be infringed"
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Are all the city workers' names and addresses posted for the public?

Bet not!
    I work for a city, and my name, age, and salary are posted in the paper every so often. My address is not thankfully.

I dont know much on the topic, so i'm only speculating.... I would imagine that the laws that allow this information to be public are similar to the laws that keep radar detectors legal. Freedom of information / public information etc...

Either way, publishing a name and address for a carry permit list is garbage. Thats just bad karma. I would hate for my name to be published in association with a permit application.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    A perfectly good reason why you should not be required to have a permit. This would never have happened if the Government did not have access to those names.

Michael
    Yeah, they don't post a list of all criminal's names, address, and what they are guilty of doing.
    msgt/ret and Milwaukesha like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Release of that data is prohibited in FL. That it happens in many "Anti" municipalities does not surprise me. If they won't respect your 2A rights, why would you expect them to respect any privacy rights either?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Yeah, they don't post a list of all criminal's names, address, and what they are guilty of doing.
    I believe that criminal information is a matter of public record. If you go to your counties website and look up the court pages, you will find the dockets. You can usually search by name also and get the disposition of the case, sentencing etc...

VIP Member
    A few years ago, an anti-gun newspaper in Roanoke published a database of concealed carries in ENTIRE state Virginia. Needless to say they were blasted for doing it....& after a couple pf weeks they took it down.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Absolutely appalling and reprehensible. They basically just gave everyone, including criminals, a list of where to find gunowners.

I can't wait until the NRA crawls up Philadelphia's you-know-what sideways over this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I believe that criminal information is a matter of public record. If you go to your counties website and look up the court pages, you will find the dockets. You can usually search by name also and get the disposition of the case, sentencing etc...
    And that's the general response about publishing CC permit data--it's public record. FL took the extra step to make it not so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links