Florida common pocketknife

This is a discussion on Florida common pocketknife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bullshark Your right. My bad, I mis-remembered the statute and didn't re-read it. OTOH, I don't think that applies to this thread. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Florida common pocketknife

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    Your right. My bad, I mis-remembered the statute and didn't re-read it. OTOH, I don't think that applies to this thread. In general, I don't believe a municipality can (successfully) supercede state authority in criminal law of any kind, certainly not a felony. As I recall this was to squelch some stupid towns that attempted to re-regulate CWP validity and firearms laws. I don't think they would preempt anything unless there was a need since by default state is subordinate to Federal, county is subordinate to state, city to county and so forth.
    Correct, which is why local laws can be more restrictive unless - in this case - the State law is preemptive. As it is only preemptive for firearms (in Florida), local governments can make the law more restrictive for knives, but not less - and they do.
    Last edited by 2700; October 24th, 2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added detail
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    So you can carry a gun, but not pepper-spray...you can kill them, but don't you dare cause temporary non-lethal non-harmful pain.

Wow that sounds like the rules of engagement.

Ok then, I'll just kill the *******.
    The possession and use of these are two separate matters. Florida chapter 776 addresses this independent of the above.

There are paradoxical consequences in 790 that are concerning. For example, the carrying of OC spray at a prohibited locations could be unlawful only for those with a CWFL, and lawful for those without. If interested in the specifics, let's make that another thread though.

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    So you can carry a gun, but not pepper-spray...you can kill them, but don't you dare cause temporary non-lethal non-harmful pain.

Wow that sounds like the rules of engagement.

Ok then, I'll just kill the *******.
    Florida does not have a concealed firearms permit; it has a Concealed Weapons and Firearms License - a CWFL, which covers both concealed weapons AND concealed firearms.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Florida does not have a concealed firearms permit; it has a Concealed Weapons and Firearms License - a CWFL, which covers both concealed weapons AND concealed firearms.
    What's the difference?

Talk about splitting hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Correct. Although it is an or, not and - Weapon or Firearm. Interestingly though, Florida's Constitution does refer to it as a "permit". Specifically, a "concealed weapon permit."

Now that's splitting hairs.

-Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links