Carrying on Halloween

This is a discussion on Carrying on Halloween within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think like the bad Guy, Halloween is a perfect time to rob, rape, car jack, ect.... same with cold snowy days when you can wear ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Carrying on Halloween

Think like the bad Guy, Halloween is a perfect time to rob, rape, car jack, ect.... same with cold snowy days when you can wear a ski mask without standing out.. Now im thinking a little extreme but If I were a criminal and a "smart" one I would do my dirt on that day/night... If your gonna be out drinking heavy at a party, might wanna not or leave gun home... stay with a group if not carrying... Have fun..

2. Remove Ads

Re: Carrying on Halloween

To answer your question, Yes I carry on Halloween but not because it's Halloween. (I carry at all times when not at work.)

Now onto a few pointers.

1. Once you get your CCW you'll hopefully calm down a bit as to not draw and shot a kid who scares you. (Drawing your weapon should be done AFTER confirming there is a legitimate threat to your life.)

2. If you are concerned for your safety on Halloween stay with a group. (Criminals usually target loners as they are easier prey than a large group.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I carry whenever I can legally. I will be at an event with between 3500-5000 people on Halloween and will be carrying.
    What? OK, I'm going to have to let everyone at my gun club know that North Carolina is NOT the California of the South like everybody says it is. Not even close. You guys are way more gun-friendly than NC if what you describe above is legal. Our CC laws stipulate that we canNOT carry at public functions where people gather, anywhere alcohol is consumed, anywhere a sign is posted, and of course schools, public bldgs., etc. I've always wanted to ask our legislators, "So what does that leave?" Oh, great, I can carry on my own property. Well I don't need a CCP to do that! Ours is virtually worthless. So congratulation on living in a gun-friendly state like CA. Guess we should call ourselves the Chicago of the South!

Nothing will change for me on Halloween in terms of carry.

I have thought of dressing up as a cowboy so I can open carry when I hand out candy. Witha revolver of course. Not many cowboys were sporting plastic fantastics in those days.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Last Halloween, while passing out candy and wearing a Boba Fett mask in 2010 (was at sea for 2011), I wore my H&K USP on a belt holster concealed under a photographer's vest (was about 60 degrees temperature that night). This Halloween, while passing out candy, I will just wear sweats but with my S&W Model 457 carried in a Thunderwear concealment rig underneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Why would Halloween be any different?

Always carry.
    Normally I would agree with this statement. We do have to consider thought a comment the OP made in her statement.
    Do you carry on Halloween? I suspect most of the answers will be, "Yes, of course" or "it's even MORE important", but after watching this zombie show late at night, I realized afterward how jumpy I was at every little noise...
    If I was a more seasoned CCW person, maybe I would feel differently, but as it is, I'm a newbie, and I just can't say with 100% certainty that I can trust myself at this point.
    I think the OP is very clear as to her concerns. She admits to being very jumpy after watching a horror movie. She admits she is not certain she can trust herself. Personally if I was that jumpy I would either not go out on Halloween or if I did I would choose some other type of defensive weapon. Just in case my worries were correct.

Michael
    mprp likes this.

I have in the past and will carry this time too when I'm with my one last kid that's still of the age to go out. Of course it will be concealed and also covered up and padded fairly well with a jacket for the bumps from passers by on the sidewalk or street. Where we go, with all of the kids out and about, it's nice to have a heavy duty, bright flashlight that can also be used as a wonderful weapon.

We live a bit out of town so we always go to a neighborhood where most of the houses actually participate in the event with decorations, costumes and a lot of them are even outside in their driveways or garages tending to the candy table. I will be carrying concealed because I always do but the flashlight will be the most handy option given that environment.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Moderator
    Yes, I carry on Halloween. It's one of the only times of the year when it's pretty expected that people will be opening their doors to strangers... in particular, strangers in costumes. Also, if that household has children it can be assumed that one of the parental units is out trick-or-treating with the kids while the other is home alone. Such has been the case of the last two Halloweens in this house. If ever there was a time to carry then that is it.

It is also a time to play practical jokes. So for those of us with potential to use deadly force I think it is exceptionally important that we are triply certain our lives are in danger before we go pulling guns on anyone.

I'd certainly hate to be someone who shot a kid who egged me.

As to your other questions... I don't dress up other than maybe wearing black and orange and putting on some dark makeup. I keep it pretty simple.

And if someone wants to question the "realism" of my firearm they are welcome to their speculation, however, if they don't stop doing whatever it was that threatened me enough to pull it then they are going to find out first-hand how real it is.

I finally had to give up on my Trick or Treating.

"Top Ten" reasons you know you are too old to Trick or Treat:
    10. You get winded from knocking on the door.
    9. You have to have a kid chew the candy for you.
    8. You ask for high fiber candy only.
    7. When someone drops a candy bar in your bag,
    you lose your balance and fall over.
    6. People say: "Great Boris Karloff Mask,"
    And you're not wearing a mask.
    5. When the door opens you yell, "Trick or..."
    And can't remember the rest.
    4. By the end of the night, you have a bag full of restraining orders.
    3. You have to carefully choose a costume that won't dislodge your hairpiece.
    2. You're the only Power Ranger in the neighborhood with a walker.
    And the number one reason Seniors should not go
    Trick Or Treating...
    1. You keep having to go home to pee.

That about sums up the reasons I don't go Trick or Treating any more.
    mlr1m, First Sgt and OldVet like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    We don't participate in halloween events, we will be in the back of the house quietly watching a movie or doing something else, with the lights off in front. There aren't many kids that go through the neighborhoods on halloween anymore anyway. As always, I will be carrying.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    What? OK, I'm going to have to let everyone at my gun club know that North Carolina is NOT the California of the South like everybody says it is. Not even close. You guys are way more gun-friendly than NC if what you describe above is legal. Our CC laws stipulate that we canNOT carry at public functions where people gather, anywhere alcohol is consumed, anywhere a sign is posted, and of course schools, public bldgs., etc. I've always wanted to ask our legislators, "So what does that leave?" Oh, great, I can carry on my own property. Well I don't need a CCP to do that! Ours is virtually worthless. So congratulation on living in a gun-friendly state like CA. Guess we should call ourselves the Chicago of the South!
    That's why I have changed my retirement plans to move to north Georgia or eastern Tennessee. Much better gun laws in those places

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Normally I would agree with this statement. We do have to consider thought a comment the OP made in her statement.

I think the OP is very clear as to her concerns. She admits to being very jumpy after watching a horror movie. She admits she is not certain she can trust herself. Personally if I was that jumpy I would either not go out on Halloween or if I did I would choose some other type of defensive weapon. Just in case my worries were correct.

Michael
    My apologies as I didn't mean to be so abrupt or dismiss the OP. However, this is not really. Halloween issue. If someone is that jumpy then the should not be carrying until they calm down. A little experience will put an end to the jumpies and you will quickly get comfortable.

No one should ever carry when they are feeling jumpy or uncomfortable. Wait until you calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    That's why I have changed my retirement plans to move to north Georgia or eastern Tennessee. Much better gun laws in those places
    Yeah, they have all the same Appalachian beauty without the restrictive gun control laws. Remember, in '08 NC voted for Obama and it's neck-and-neck now, with early voting results leaning his way. Not that I've fallen for the NRA's "Obama will steal your guns" message, just saying there's a reason we're the Chicago (formerly Calif.) of the South.

Doesn't Lara Croft carry double HK's? You should be all set for Halloween.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

GH
    Regardless what day of the year, situational awareness (SA) has to be practiced. Every day. Every night. All the time.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links