Carrying on Halloween - Page 4

Carrying on Halloween

This is a discussion on Carrying on Halloween within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RKflorida I finally had to give up on my Trick or Treating. "Top Ten" reasons you know you are too old to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Carrying on Halloween

  1. #46
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,331
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    I finally had to give up on my Trick or Treating.

    "Top Ten" reasons you know you are too old to Trick or Treat:
    10. You get winded from knocking on the door.
    9. You have to have a kid chew the candy for you.
    8. You ask for high fiber candy only.
    7. When someone drops a candy bar in your bag,
    you lose your balance and fall over.
    6. People say: "Great Boris Karloff Mask,"
    And you're not wearing a mask.
    5. When the door opens you yell, "Trick or..."
    And can't remember the rest.
    4. By the end of the night, you have a bag full of restraining orders.
    3. You have to carefully choose a costume that won't dislodge your hairpiece.
    2. You're the only Power Ranger in the neighborhood with a walker.
    And the number one reason Seniors should not go
    Trick Or Treating...
    1. You keep having to go home to pee.


    That about sums up the reasons I don't go Trick or Treating any more.
    That's too funny!

    I guess this is my last year going out. I fit 9 of 10, and I hear the courts have been flooded with restraining order requests in my area.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield


  2. #47
    Member Array LaraCroft10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    145
    Thanks for all your responses.

    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If anyone who happen to notice the gun for whatever reason they may assume that it was in fact a prop and attempt to do something really stupid.
    This is a really good point; it delves more into issues with people possibly thinking the gun is a part of the costume.

    It looks like most people understood the point of my post, so I'm not going to bother repeating it.

    I really can't imagine getting extra jumpy and drawing on someone pulling a Halloween prank, but I just don't know for sure, because I haven't even carried yet. I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt that way, especially when they were new, and because of that opted to leave their gun at home.

    I heard in the news lately about a woman that accidentally shot and killed her husband because he startled her coming in the house.

    And it's easy to think, "What an idiot!" But how do I know I won't be that way? Obviously you have to be 500% sure of your target before you pull the trigger, but who's to say my extra jumpy nature on Halloween wouldn't affect that? Especially with criminals out using costumes to their advantage and you opening your door to strangers?

    Like I said, I don't think I'd ever draw my gun if it wasn't necessary, but more than anything this post was me thinking aloud, and being an extra honest judge of myself to ensure complete safety of myself and others.

    Hopefully by next Halloween I will be fine.

    Thanks everyone.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

    "I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

  3. #48
    Ex Member Array ArmyMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    So, I've been watching The Walking Dead (no, this thread is not about zombie apocalypse preparation, but it for sure got me thinking about it!), and I got to thinking.

    Halloween is surely a time where there is an increase in crime. Not that I have any actual statistics, but I surmise that with the natural concealment of costumes and masks, that BGs can get away with things more easily. I imagine most of the crime on Halloween is small-potato vandalism type stuff (anyone else been TP'd on Halloween?), but maybe not.

    Do you carry on Halloween? I suspect most of the answers will be, "Yes, of course" or "it's even MORE important", but after watching this zombie show late at night, I realized afterward how jumpy I was at every little noise...

    And, it's a moot point as I don't get my CCP until after Halloween, but I began to wonder if, as a newbie especially, it might not be a good idea for me to carry when I go out for Halloween. Surely there will be people that jump out at me, grab me from behind and try to scare me, and I just don't think carrying a deadly weapon on a day where I'm meant to be scared is a wise idea.

    Does anyone else feel this way? Or the total opposite, given that Halloween tends to be more dangerous?

    I know that where you go on Halloween has an impact, too, so maybe if you stay at home it's not as much as an issue as going out to haunted houses, amusement parks, etc.

    If I was a more seasoned CCW person, maybe I would feel differently, but as it is, I'm a newbie, and I just can't say with 100% certainty that I can trust myself at this point. Maybe after I was used to carrying for awhile, but not while it's a brand new sensation to have a gun on my hip.

    Other questions:
    Do you dress up, and if so, do you make sure your costume can accommodate a weapon?
    What if you had to draw on a BG, but he thought your gun was a Halloween prop? Too bad for him, I guess?

    Just some thoughts...
    I carry always. The only way Halloween would be any different is I might carry openly in a way I normally wouldn't.

    See that zombie swat officer over there? That pistol on his fake-blood stained tac-vest is real....(fav way of carrying the M9 in Afghanistan)...


    *******
    IMO in many ways Halloween can be safer due to a heightened awareness. Most adults are paranoid that their child is going to be taken, or hit by a car, or poisoned, etc. Also most drivers are worried a child will dart into the street. I like to think most folks take these things into consideration and are more aware, at least for that night.

    If you're the type who's going to shoot just anything at all that scares you, perhaps you shouldn't be carrying a gun at all. You should always identify your target.

  4. #49
    VIP Member
    Array 1MoreGoodGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    6,465
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    Thanks for all your responses.



    This is a really good point; it delves more into issues with people possibly thinking the gun is a part of the costume.

    It looks like most people understood the point of my post, so I'm not going to bother repeating it.

    I really can't imagine getting extra jumpy and drawing on someone pulling a Halloween prank, but I just don't know for sure, because I haven't even carried yet. I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt that way, especially when they were new, and because of that opted to leave their gun at home.

    I heard in the news lately about a woman that accidentally shot and killed her husband because he startled her coming in the house.

    And it's easy to think, "What an idiot!" But how do I know I won't be that way? Obviously you have to be 500% sure of your target before you pull the trigger, but who's to say my extra jumpy nature on Halloween wouldn't affect that? Especially with criminals out using costumes to their advantage and you opening your door to strangers?

    Like I said, I don't think I'd ever draw my gun if it wasn't necessary, but more than anything this post was me thinking aloud, and being an extra honest judge of myself to ensure complete safety of myself and others.

    Hopefully by next Halloween I will be fine.

    Thanks everyone.
    If you are unsure of your ability to control yourself from drawing your weapon when it is not necessary, you are most likely not ready to carry a firearm. You should be comfortable with the idea and posses the knowledge of how to safely and responsibly carrying a firearm before you carry.

    Relax. Stay focused on the right things. Instead of focusing on "I hope I don't do that wrong" or "I don't want to make a mistake like that", try turning that into a positive..."What can I improve so that those things are less likely to happen to me" or "here is how I can handle that situation differently which will result in a more positive outcome".
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member


    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

  5. #50
    Member Array firecrackerktm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    155
    I don't have kids so I don't need to protect anybody. Since our Halloween generally involves a party with some friends, my husband and I trade off which one of us is going to stay sober to drive home, so only that person will carry. I think it's my turn to drink this time, but I kinda want to take my little pistol with me if I can conceal it so I might be the DD/DC (designated carrier).

  6. #51
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Under a Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    9,440
    I carry every day.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

  7. #52
    Member Array Switchblade906's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    192
    Im going to be carrying, my neighborhood is the only one for miles with street lights so there are hundreds of outsiders who come here and walk around. I have a 2 year old so im going to make sure that nothing happens to him or my wife...

    But i always carry everyday all day long so its nothing different

  8. #53
    Member Array tdrussell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    59
    Well there will most certainly be recreational imbibe-ation-ment involved so no CC for me, for better or worse...

    I will be bringing my 200lm edc torch though, that's for darn sure.

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761

    BATF Halloween Memo To American Citzens

    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

    Carrying of any type firearm will be restricted to those that dress as either a common criminal or terrorist. This will insure law enforcement to know who is armed.

    We advise as many of you that can carry weapon on this day to do so. There is no telling if anyone will be allowed to have weapons next Halloween.

    We thank all of the citizens in advance for their cooperation in this matter.

    Respectfully,
    Your well armed BATF agents
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  10. #55
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    As I see it, the only difference for Halloween is perhaps you should be a little more on your toes and extra vigilant.

    I carry a gun full time. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holidays are no different than any other day in regards to carrying a gun.

    What a responsible person should do on Halloween is pay extra attention to the Rule of 3 Stupids. Don't get caught hanging out with stupid people, Don't do stupid things, and Don't go to stupid places. That doesn't mean you can't partake in Halloween activities with your kids, but you should be extra vigilant and ensure you use proper judgement. Don't be trigger happy, ready to draw on any goblin wearing a costume.

    Of course, if you plan on attending any "adult parties," you should refrain from alcohol, or don't go. I don't have a problem going armed to places where my friends and acquaintances may be drinking. But once the stupid things start to happen, I'll usually excuse myself and go home early.

    I don't know how many parties I've attended where the next day, people ask, "Did you see what happened at so-n-so's last night?" But in fact, I had already left before the party got out of hand.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  11. #56
    Member Array LaraCroft10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    If you are unsure of your ability to control yourself from drawing your weapon when it is not necessary, you are most likely not ready to carry a firearm. You should be comfortable with the idea and posses the knowledge of how to safely and responsibly carrying a firearm before you carry.

    Relax. Stay focused on the right things. Instead of focusing on "I hope I don't do that wrong" or "I don't want to make a mistake like that", try turning that into a positive..."What can I improve so that those things are less likely to happen to me" or "here is how I can handle that situation differently which will result in a more positive outcome".
    I don't think I'm so much speaking from an immature or ignorant standpoint regarding carrying as I am just being straight with myself about the seriousness of the situation and acknowledging my infallibility as a human. I don't want to go into it with arrogance, thinking I'll have it all right from the get-go. I feel there needs to be a constant self-awareness, constant self-evaluation, and being so new, this is the point I'm at with myself. Do I believe I am capable of safely carrying? Yes, absolutely. Do I feel like I need to acknowledge the issues I addressed in my OP? Yes, I do. I believe that exploring these concerns will eventually lead me to ultimate vigilance.

    I don't believe I am ready to carry today, because I don't feel 150% comfortable handling a firearm as of this very moment (which is just as well because I haven't taken the class anyway).
    I believe I will have the confidence to carry after I take the eight-hour requisite course (and if not, then I'll handle it as I see fit).
    But I don't believe the first day I legally carry should be Halloween night. I don't think that would be safe. Period.

    And I don't think that understanding this about myself means I am unsafe or unfit to carry in general.

    Not that you were saying that, but that's the implication I was getting from several comments in this thread.

    Regarding your last paragraph, I do explore those questions, even if I didn't phrase them that way. But every "how can I avoid it?" begins with "I hope I don't do that", because, as I said, no human being is perfect. Not even any of you. =] And if one hears of accidents with firearms happening and DOESN'T think "I hope I don't do that" and "Here's what I do to avoid it", then I believe that person is not exercising proper self-evaluation and, contrastingly, the one that is not fit to carry a firearm.

    I'm glad I posted this though because the overwhelming confidence in people's posts about their ability to carry on Halloween is gleaming hope that by next Halloween, it will be no big deal to me, either.

    Thank you for the advice.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

    "I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

  12. #57
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    863
    Yes I do. It is easier to carry a full size pistol.

    Many moons ago during a Halloween day, late at night, all the kids were done and gone, a truck stop in front of the house and an adult in costume knocked on my door. I never opened it, but I remember it scared the crap out of the kids. The whole thing was kind of odd. So the moral of the story is yes I do.

  13. #58
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I don't believe I am ready to carry today, because I don't feel 150% comfortable handling a firearm as of this very moment (which is just as well because I haven't taken the class anyway). I believe I will have the confidence to carry after I take the eight-hour requisite course (and if not, then I'll handle it as I see fit).
    But I don't believe the first day I legally carry should be Halloween night. I don't think that would be safe. Period.
    This is normal, you'll ease into it at your own speed. It took me a while also. First I carried it empty, then with a magazine but no round in the chamber, and now I feel naked without taking it ready to go. This whole process took me a long time.

  14. #59
    VIP Member
    Array 1MoreGoodGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    6,465
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I don't think I'm so much speaking from an immature or ignorant standpoint regarding carrying as I am just being straight with myself about the seriousness of the situation and acknowledging my infallibility as a human. I don't want to go into it with arrogance, thinking I'll have it all right from the get-go. I feel there needs to be a constant self-awareness, constant self-evaluation, and being so new, this is the point I'm at with myself. Do I believe I am capable of safely carrying? Yes, absolutely. Do I feel like I need to acknowledge the issues I addressed in my OP? Yes, I do. I believe that exploring these concerns will eventually lead me to ultimate vigilance.

    I don't believe I am ready to carry today, because I don't feel 150% comfortable handling a firearm as of this very moment (which is just as well because I haven't taken the class anyway).
    I believe I will have the confidence to carry after I take the eight-hour requisite course (and if not, then I'll handle it as I see fit).
    But I don't believe the first day I legally carry should be Halloween night. I don't think that would be safe. Period.

    And I don't think that understanding this about myself means I am unsafe or unfit to carry in general.

    Not that you were saying that, but that's the implication I was getting from several comments in this thread.

    Regarding your last paragraph, I do explore those questions, even if I didn't phrase them that way. But every "how can I avoid it?" begins with "I hope I don't do that", because, as I said, no human being is perfect. Not even any of you. =] And if one hears of accidents with firearms happening and DOESN'T think "I hope I don't do that" and "Here's what I do to avoid it", then I believe that person is not exercising proper self-evaluation and, contrastingly, the one that is not fit to carry a firearm.

    I'm glad I posted this though because the overwhelming confidence in people's posts about their ability to carry on Halloween is gleaming hope that by next Halloween, it will be no big deal to me, either.

    Thank you for the advice.
    I hope I did not offend you in any way. I in no way meant to imply that you were "speaking from an immature or ignorant standpoint". Your posts in this thread and in all the other threads on this forum that I have read tell me that you are "speaking" from a very mature, informed and inquisitive standpoint.

    You will know when you are ready to cc in public. Take it slow. When it is time, try going to places for short periods of time. Pick places that you are most comfortable going. Bring a friend or relative with you.

    In the meantime, get use to carrying concealed by carrying around your house and property.

    Then, invite your friends and family over for the day and cc. If this too big of a step, do it with an unloaded gun and then maybe next time do with the gun loaded. Make a conscious effort to not touch your gun or adjust your holster. If an adjustment is absolutely necessary, excuse yourself to the other room and do it there.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member


    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

  15. #60
    Member Array Miketrance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    218
    The first few times I carried in public I felt that everyone knew I was carrying and anytime anyone looked at me, they could tell instantly. Now I almost forget its there. You will settle in and get more comfortable with your gun the more you carry it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you carry a weapon on holloween in fl?
,
carrying a bb gun in public
,
carrying halloween
,

conceal carry halloween

,

concealed carry an halloween

,
concealed carry and halloween
,

concealed carry shooting haunted house

,
halloween prop vandalism
,

is it illegal in maine to have carrie a bebe gun around on halloween

,

is it illegal to walk arouns with an axe for halloween?

,

is.it illegal to.carry concealed.on halloween

,
on halloween is carrying eggs illegal
Click on a term to search for related topics.