US Concealed Carry Assoc - Update? Thoughts?

This is a discussion on US Concealed Carry Assoc - Update? Thoughts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all I found an old 2009 thread on the US Concealed Carry Association, and would like to hear more recent input from folks about ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By whoppo
  • 1 Post By Marty Hayes

Thread: US Concealed Carry Assoc - Update? Thoughts?

US Concealed Carry Assoc - Update? Thoughts?

Hello all

I found an old 2009 thread on the US Concealed Carry Association, and would like to hear more recent input from folks about this organization, it's value, and worthwhileness. For those who don't know, they offer both an insurance-like "Shield" at varying levels of civil and criminal defense costs reimbursement should you be involved in a SD shooting, as well as a legal defense fund for grants to obtain immediate legal fee help, at costs of $127 to $297 a year. And, they have extras like a CC magazine, sources for good CC/SD lawyers, general online databases, etc. Part of me thinks it is a good idea, but part of me hesitates to get involved with this and look at other potential legal defense insurance options....also begs the question whether SD insurance is a good idea in general? Please share your experience and thoughts on this matter in general, the USCCA organization, or other alternatives. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Almost (if not every) post I read from a member says they are happy with their membership, but will not be renewing. All the information there can be found for free elsewhere, but no mention of the extra insurance.

GH
    Just for kicks I ran a records check on Tim, the president of USCCA. He had quite a few hits, nothing serious but enough for me to categorize him as a scoflaw. I'm assuming he has a WI CCL so he can't have committed any felonies. I can't remember exacrtly what they were but I seem to recall that one of them was a firearms offense. That wouldn't be to hard to get because WI has only had a CC law for a little less than a year. (Thank God for Gov. Scott Walker & a Republican Legislature)

I found that the e mails that they sent out when they found I was interested got a bit bothersome, almost spam-like & the webinar I participated in online wasn't very enlightening but had a strong advertising flavor concerning the legal insurance you could purchase from them. I might have bitten but at the time (and in the present) I'm all but broke & just trying to get by on an Army pension. Upon further reflection I'm glad I didn't. The e mail newsletters had some interesting stories. Since I purchased nothing from USCCA the e mails eventually stopped. I had recently received my CCL & was trying to absorb as much info I could. I had carried a duty gun as an armed security officer & private detective but since we didn't have a CC law in WI until recently I never had carried concealed off duty & was eager to learn.

Those are just my impressions so take them with a grain of salt. As usual - caveat empor.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member
    tried it, cancelled it.
    better option (IMHO): Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    10thmtn likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    I was one of the very early members of the USCCA. It used to be a great little community with possibly the best gun forum out there and an awesome magazine. Then Tim brought in a different editor for the magazine. The new editor changed the direction of the publication. What had once been good training information became drab and geared towards the new gun owner offering typical articles that you'd see anywhere else.

Tim was always somewhat disliked by the membership. His marketing ploys make Front Sight look tame. The amount of spam generated by him is spectacular! But he was tolerated due to the simple fact that so many of the community members really liked being with one another. Then he introduced the insurance. He was ridiculed for the product because it is inferior to other products out there. Shortly there after he announced that those that were members of the USCCA would have to become "gold" members to continue their membership (gold meaning you bought the insurance). His claim was that he couldn't legally me a magazine company that sold insurance but he could be an insurance company that offered a magazine. With that most of the good members cancelled their membership. A few of us stuck it out until our memberships expired but the community was dead. What was once a busy forum could go days without any decent post. Instead it would only have a couple of "hey, which is better a hi point or an HK" type newbie threads.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    tried it, cancelled it.
    better option (IMHO): Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    I Agree With whoppo, Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network much better!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I have professional liability insurance and also insurance for any LEOSA incidents.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    If you took the so-called 'webinar', be prepared for extreme spam attack. In my opinion, that "association" seems to be just a front for selling insurance through rather extreme scare tactics.

Unfortunately, I took the 'webinar' and I still get junk from them even after "unsubscribing" from their "newsletter".

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I was one of the very early members of the USCCA. It used to be a great little community with possibly the best gun forum out there and an awesome magazine. Then Tim brought in a different editor for the magazine. The new editor changed the direction of the publication. What had once been good training information became drab and geared towards the new gun owner offering typical articles that you'd see anywhere else.

Tim was always somewhat disliked by the membership. His marketing ploys make Front Sight look tame. The amount of spam generated by him is spectacular! But he was tolerated due to the simple fact that so many of the community members really liked being with one another. Then he introduced the insurance. He was ridiculed for the product because it is inferior to other products out there. Shortly there after he announced that those that were members of the USCCA would have to become "gold" members to continue their membership (gold meaning you bought the insurance). His claim was that he couldn't legally me a magazine company that sold insurance but he could be an insurance company that offered a magazine. With that most of the good members cancelled their membership. A few of us stuck it out until our memberships expired but the community was dead. What was once a busy forum could go days without any decent post. Instead it would only have a couple of "hey, which is better a hi point or an HK" type newbie threads.
    I was a member for two years....until they FORCED the insurance. No definite garantee that it will ever pay up. You first have to win the court case, then they will supposedly pay after the fact. Much better choices out there. The magazine is good for newbies, but not for advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    I Agree With whoppo, Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network much better!
    I would also agree... But then, I am just a little biased.
    Brademan likes this.
    Marty Hayes, President
    Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

I looked into them a while ago. One thing I didnt like was it only came into affect if there was an actual shooting. If you were arrested with some other bs charge like brandishing or discharge of a firearm it did nothing. To me the chance of an actual shooting is not as high as getting in trouble for pulling and not firing, and it could cost a lot to beat a charge like that.

Links