Blend In or Stand Out? - Page 2

Blend In or Stand Out?

This is a discussion on Blend In or Stand Out? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blend In or Stand Out?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to gas pumps, Windex bottles, etc.
    ROFL!! Nice to see that others do the same nutty things I do. I catch myself doing that all the time.

I use a Cordless drill extensively throughout my workday, so I spend a lot of my time holding a gun shaped object in my hand. Some of my coworkers teased me about the way I treated it at first. After a while I decided it was better to treat my drill like a gun than treat my gun like a drill.
    Besides it is good practice. I catch myself keeping the point down and away from people and generally handling it like I would a handgun, until I need to use it.
    It has become largely unconscious, but there is a downside.

Like some of you, I tend to stand out somewhat. A year ago I narrowly avoided being tackled by a couple of hospital security guards who saw me putting my drill into my toolkit from a distance and thought it was an "uzi" (dark blue Bosch drill with red decals ???) LOL
    I have often wondered how much of their perception was based on my movements.

Just for the record, I had been carrying that day, but since you can\'t legally carry in a hospital my firearm was safely locked away in my vehicle.

i would have to say that i agree with allot of what betty said..i personnelly dont care if other people know i am carrying or not i try not to stand out to much but like betty allot of people always tell me that i look mad all the time until they get to know me...

One of the things that my Cherokee Grandmother allways told me was " Don't worry about the man that goes around bragging that he's going to kick your butt... it's the quiet man you need to watch out for, because he's the one that will hurt you."

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Tincup
    One of the things that my Cherokee Grandmother allways told me was "Don't worry about the man that goes around bragging that he's going to kick your butt... it's the quiet man you need to watch out for, because he's the one that will hurt you."
    Hey, you been reading my signature? :P

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Bumper, actually I have a confession to make.

I am using the quote from your sig, in my sig on a car message board I am a member of. :)

Speaking of which I need to put my other quotes in my sig here.

Bryan

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Both. Blend in enough so you don't stick out like a sore thumb, but always be aware. Criminals will spot that and usually avoid you.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by GoodSamaritan
    Bumper, actually I have a confession to make.

I am using the quote from your sig, in my sig on a car message board I am a member of. :)
    You're welcome to it, I snagged it from somebody somewhere, some time ago. ;)

also look at the shoes.

~A

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
    okay, next time you go to a mall or a large shopping center, try to pick out the plainclothes security.

theres horrible tell tale signs that a person is a storedick. come back and let us know how many you spot and what gave them away.

the only hint i will give is that a storedick typically is doing the exact opposite of what an armed citizen does.

Blend in or stand out

Somebody, IIRC it was Clint Smith, once said that if you look like food, you will be eaten.

Look, I'm 47 years old a middle aged white guy teaching in the public schools and teaching in the inner city for the last eight years. I'm about to go even deeper into the jungle next week. This next school is described as a real combat zone.

I like to think that my sense of "bearing" suggests that I'm not somebody to be hassled and in all my time as a teacher, I've not been attacked or even challenged. The fact that I'm a former US Army Infantry Captain and a former State Probation and Parole Officer contributes to this, I'm sure. So does my experience as an NRA certified Instructor.

But my experience and observations also seem to show that if you try to project the appearance of being Billy BadAss, at some point along comes BUSTER BADASS and ruins your whole day. That's because your whole schtick is visible at all times and everybody knows everything. That makes you an attractive target, just for somebody to say they did it. But even Buster is going to be cautious when he's unsure how much of a threat he faces. I think an aura of quiet mystery enhances security, just so long as you stay in condition "YELLOW" and so long as you are capable of acting appropriately if the situation calls for action.

Spotting Store Security

A long time ago, I used to do this during summer vacations from college. Want to spot the store detective? Simple. Watch for the guy whispering into a bag, because that's where he has his radio concealed. Also look for the teams of folks tailing the young black kids around the store and usually they're not even the real thieves! They're also the guys hanging out in sections of the store where a guy would not "normally" be shopping, but they're there to chat up the salesgirls. They're also the ones who will hug the walls and suddenly disappear! A secret door leading to a stairwell and an observation post (we used to call them a coop) to survey the store floor. And YES, Betty, they have them to look into the ladies dressing rooms! S'posed to be a female observing...but it never works out like that.:P

VIP Member
    I've had undercover store security watch me in the cosmetics section one time. I imagine shoplifting is rather prolific in that section. Anyhow, I found it amusingly suspicious that a man was "concentrating on lipsticks" in the same aisle from me while trying not to appear to stare at me from the corner of his eye, and then began to "contemplate nailpolish" in the next aisle I walked to. So I casually walked and back and forth between the same two aisles just to amuse myself, and sure enough, the man was everywhere I was. I thought about walking over to him and helping him pick out a shade of lip gloss. :D

A long time ago, I used to do this during summer vacations from college. Want to spot the store detective? Simple. Watch for the guy whispering into a bag, because that's where he has his radio concealed. Also look for the teams of folks tailing the young black kids around the store and usually they're not even the real thieves! They're also the guys hanging out in sections of the store where a guy would not "normally" be shopping, but they're there to chat up the salesgirls. They're also the ones who will hug the walls and suddenly disappear! A secret door leading to a stairwell and an observation post (we used to call them a coop) to survey the store floor. And YES, Betty, they have them to look into the ladies dressing rooms! S'posed to be a female observing...but it never works out like that
    yep... but theres one other major thing that should stand out.

my first job out of school was at nordstom. worlds worst salesperson, i am. all the vents in the walls, up about 12 feet off the ground? they're peep holes. our dressing rooms werent 'peepable', but the 'loss prevention' detectives would step into an adjacent dressing room and use those small handheld mirrors to look into whomever was in there. wouldnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the person going in with 3 items, walking out with 1, and only 1 item left in the dressing room, equaled 'thief'.

nowadays the dressing rooms are locked, and cleaned out immediately after being used. and i think now they do have cameras and 'peep holes' into them. pity the fool that looks at my ****** when i try something on. :P

though the store i worked at had an equal number of male and female plainclothes security on the floor, usually it would wind up being 2 guys or 2 girls working together.

I guess probably the ideal solution is to blend in to the casual observer, but send the right signals and demeanor to those paying attention to you, i.e. would-be predators. Most people are oblivious and many can pull off being inconspicuous without trying too terribly hard. But if you're paying attention and you appear assertive, confident, and aware, you're sending a clear signal the right people will see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links