Blend In or Stand Out?

Blend In or Stand Out?

This is a discussion on Blend In or Stand Out? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As someone carrying a concealed weapon, do you feel like you are less likely to be involved in a confrontation by blending in with everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blend In or Stand Out?

Blend In or Stand Out?

As someone carrying a concealed weapon, do you feel like you are less likely to be involved in a confrontation by blending in with everyone else in the crowd or looking more like someone that has a more heightened awareness level and, generally, not someone to the bad guy would want to "mess with"?

VIP Member
    I believe most criminals (ones with some amount of smarts) look for easy targets and tend to stay away from those who appear to be assertive and capable of self-defense.

I don't go about looking like I want to kick everybody's teeth in, but I also try not to appear like I'm on some crook's menu.

VIP Member
    A friend of mine says if you look like food you will get eaten.

I let everyone else look like food. I intend to look like a predator. Head up constant scanning identifying possible people of interest etc. Gun or no gun it is the same.

When I worked in DC only one guy even approached me. I did walk around with a I want to kick your teeth in look on my face. When you're a white guy in SE DC you don't blend in. :D

VIP Member

I've been told I look mean. I've even had a couple people ask me if I was a cop. :D

I'd rather be on my toes and be a surly ******* than to get caught off guard and be a victim. Besides I've found that people that take a little getting to know are far more interesting than the automotons :) standing around waiting for lunch.

VIP Member
    Sometimes you can spot other carry-permit people by their behavior/dress.

One example was an assertive fellow who was standing around wearing a multi-pocketed photographer's vest and had no camera, but he appeared ready to "shoot" something if he had to.

You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to gas pumps, Windex bottles, etc.

Victim

As I go to and fro and round about, I see many people waiting to be victims.

They walk with their heads down, wear headphones, do not acknowledge 'howdy', are just in general in full condition white, or on a pink cloud.

The key to avoidance is awareness.

Some examples of avoidance behavior are:

Non attendance
    Don't go where crap happens

But if there
    become invisible

Be deselected by predators by
    Stance, way you move, act, scan, bearing

If selected
    Disengage, move, verbal, keeping moving, do not stop to answer questions, KEEP MOVING.

Know the rules for use of lethal force where you live.

VIP Member
    Originally posted by Betty

One example was an assertive fellow who was standing around wearing a multi-pocketed photographer's vest and had no camera, but he appeared ready to "shoot" something if he had to.
    In my area a photographer's vest and a big fanny pack scream gun. Fortunately a loose overshirt is a style in my area, so that works well for me.

I spot them by the fact that they are usually paying attention to their environment like I do.

You can spot well-disciplined gunowners by the fact they tend to keep their trigger fingers off of anything resembling a trigger. I've done it to gas pumps, Windex bottles, etc.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. Do you also find that you want nothing in your strong side hand when carrying?

DC Founder
    A mixture depending on where I am and what is around me. Like everyone I sometimes briefly falter in my awareness level, but it's rare and always in an area where I can reasonably expect to be safe (work, home, church, gunshop/range, etc.). Normally in public I am very aware of those around me. If I am in a risky area, which is rare, I put on my ESAD (eat * and die) face and constantly scan what's going on around me. I have only been singled out as a potential target once that I know of.

Indeed. When I was still in college at my schools library, I spotted an early 40's gent heading into the bathroom. For some reason, I just *knew* he was carrying. Probably a LEO. I had to answer the call as well, and as he reached up to push the door open, I saw a large framed auto printing through his sweater... Takes one to know one I guess... :D

I don't know if I standout or not. I am this old overweight guy that's not a threat to anyone. I don't have a ccw because in CA you need a "reason", I just could not come up with a reason when it expired. In my lifetime I have been lucky with no altercations. I worked in many large city areas supporting computer systems and would be sent everywhere by my company. I worked in Washington DC shooting problems at night mostly from 10:00 to 4:00 am. This meant going in dark places where drug dealers would open their car doors when they seen you coming. Going through deserted garages and buildings. So I suppose I have been lucky. I know people who work odd hours and sleep in their car at the customer site sometimes no proplem. So tell me, what is all this rukus about needing to carry a gun??

Was at local mall with Wifey (Better Half) and we say down in the Food Court for some fine culinary subsistence. (For those of you that have not retned or watched "SUPER SIZE ME" I highly recommend it) Ordered a few sandwiches from Schlotzsky's Deli (YUMM).

Sit down and give a quick scan. Notice a kif walkign towards a family of 5 sitting in close proximity to us. by kid I mean 6-8yo. He walks right up to the father on his "6", and transitions to his "4" and actually touches the guys carry-piece. I guess his untucked shirt had been arranged in such a way that his concealed carry was now completely open carry.

Kid touched the pistol and asked if it was real. Needless to say, Father turned the reddest I have ever seen anyone and quickly arranged his clothes.

Me I adhere to the school of Camoflauge. Not trying to sound like billy bad ass, but my size does deter most confrontations. However, I still do scan and target assess those in close vicinity.

~A

okay, next time you go to a mall or a large shopping center, try to pick out the plainclothes security.

theres horrible tell tale signs that a person is a storedick. come back and let us know how many you spot and what gave them away.

the only hint i will give is that a storedick typically is doing the exact opposite of what an armed citizen does.

I try my best to stay below the radar screen while nevertheless maintaining situational awareness.

Member Array Bullwinkle J Moose's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tactician
    As someone carrying a concealed weapon, do you feel like you are less likely to be involved in a confrontation by blending in with everyone else in the crowd or looking more like someone that has a more heightened awareness level and, generally, not someone to the bad guy would want to "mess with"?
    I usually wear a Resistol wide brimmed hat, so I always stand out around here in that respect. I do not worry about my appearance standing out in crowds, because I doubt many violent criminals ply their trade in crowds. They don't want witnesses and do-gooders helping the victim. They are more prone to pick-off lone strays and stragglers just like many wild predators. Also just like in the wild, those appearing weak are most at risk. Face it, by their chosen vocation, crooks are lazy and want to take the path of least resistance. This means their preferred victims will be the ones that are alone or outnumbered, percieved to be weak and who are oblivious to their surroundings. This enables the predator to get within striking distance easily so he can use surprise to his tactical advantage and further assures the criminal that said victim has no prepared defense. Choosing a victim they deem weak further stacks the deck in the lazy criminal's favor. So what are the signs of a weak sheep ripe for the slaughter? Someone too absorbed in things not pertinent to their wellbeing that they donít notice what is going on around them allows the unseen crook to close in. Someone too timid or scared to make eye contact with strangers or swiftly looks away when the crook makes eye contact is seen as easy prey. Demeanor and attitude say a lot to crooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links