Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban

This is a discussion on Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks to me, IF you read the Section of the Law which you posted, that UNLESS you have been convicted of a crime. I also ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban

Looks to me, IF you read the Section of the Law which you posted, that UNLESS you have been convicted of a crime. I also read everything in handgunlaw.us and have found NOTHING that would prohibit your carry as a concealed license holder. As a matter of fact the law specifically states unless you are a convicted felon, or in the subsections above have committed crimes, that you CANNOT be prohibited from carrying.

Someone help me out..Am I reading this incorrectly? Looks like to me that you are OK to carry...Just saying..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Hoog, I think I know where you got that statute from and I have emailed them with my opinion that it should be removed. It should be noted that section 1835.1 is NOT included in the OK SDA lawbook as presented on the OSBI website here: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2011.pdf
    hoog likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I disagree very strongly on this statement. You want your legal carry to be allowed, but someone elses legal carrying to not be.
    That would be a good point if this was a state where CCW and OC are dictated by two different laws but in Oklahoma only someone with a CCW permit can open carrry. If the sign is changed no one who has permission to carry will be unable to carry a wepon they just wont be able to carry it openly.

I offerd this as a compromise since so many buisness have put up the gun prohibition signs since the CCW law was ammended to allow OC.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Hoog, I think I know where you got that statute from and I have emailed them with my opinion that it should be removed. It should be noted that section 1835.1 is NOT included in the OK SDA lawbook as presented on the OSBI website here: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2011.pdf
    That is some good information thanks. I got the info from handgunlaw.us. I would not like to be the first to find out the hard way!

@frst Sgt I went to the Oklahoma case law website and found nothing concerning a conviction for concealed carry but I did call the local LE who was adamant that the law did apply to CCW and no gun signs.

In Minnesota, we have businesses with signs like that in their windows as well. If you walk into one of those businesses as a licensed CCW holder, the only thing they can do is to ask you to leave. IF you refuse, then law enforcement can be called and you can be charged with a misdemeanor and something like a $50 fine. It is your banks right, after all, to be narrow minded.

Well, in this case the error would have been on the side of caution. I wouldn't expect any legal ramifications from not doing something. I just prefer that the issue of carrying into posted establishments in Oklahoma be argued as what it really is, which is an ethical issue, not a legal one. If one feels that it's unethical to carry into a posted establishment regardless of legality, that's one thing entirely and they may feel free to argue that point all day long. I just firmly believe that it is an ethical issue and should be argued as such.

I checked handgunlaw.us after posting my earlier points and emailed them with my opinion. I couldn't say whether it'll make a difference, but it's like kicking the candy machine when you don't get what you paid for. Does it help? Probably not. Makes me feel better though.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    That is some good information thanks. I got the info from handgunlaw.us. I would not like to be the first to find out the hard way!
    I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record on here, but its worth the money you would spend on a consult with a lawyer. That way you get some legit legal advice and you are already on file as a client if you need representation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    That would be a good point if this was a state where CCW and OC are dictated by two different laws but in Oklahoma only someone with a CCW permit can open carrry. If the sign is changed no one who has permission to carry will be unable to carry a wepon they just wont be able to carry it openly.

I offerd this as a compromise since so many buisness have put up the gun prohibition signs since the CCW law was ammended to allow OC.
    I'm aware of how the law was written, I lived in OK for 17 years. I got my first permit there and I still have family there, so I keep up on the carry laws there. The point is, your willing to give up someone elses legal right, just so you can exercise yours. It doesn't work that way, either you can legally carry, or you can't.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Send OldVet's version but remember, before they even remotely think about responding they will look at your accounts. I can promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I checked handgunlaw.us after posting my earlier points and emailed them with my opinion. I couldn't say whether it'll make a difference, but it's like kicking the candy machine when you don't get what you paid for. Does it help? Probably not. Makes me feel better though.
    If you get a reply from handgunlaw.us, would you please post it here in this thread? I'd like to know how they explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    If you get a reply from handgunlaw.us, would you please post it here in this thread? I'd like to know how they explain it.
    I've got something of a dialog between myself and Gary right now. I'm trying to dig up some old, old emails for him.
    My blog

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Looking closer at the law and finding things I didn't notice before. Emailing a contact I have in OK hoping to get a quick answer. Also been promised emails from someone in th system stating that the signs do not have the force of law. I will definitely remove the law that states it only applies to those convicted at the least. Looking at OK law it seems that when they state a law the next section states the penalty for breaking that law. 1290.22 DOES NOT have a section after it stating there is a penalty. But that doesn't mean there isn't one but that the penalty may fall under another law. Again Still Looking. Thanks for the input.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Ransom, To answer your question I debated for 2 years on trying to add the No Gun Sign laws etc. I knew it was going to be a chore in some states. States like Texas spell it out very plainly about signs which make it easy. States like OK don't spell it out. Having the same problems with PA. I have Police and Attorneys saying they do but have just as many if not more Officers and Attorneys stating they don't have the force of law in PA. Then Michigan. Have people stating it both ways. In some states the laws are just not clear on the subject and that is what makes it difficult.

When I decided to add that info I always erred on the side of caution. I don't want to be responsible for someone getting arrested and maybe losing their right to carry. I have changed two or three states after adding the info as I found that when I do add info that I get feedback on that item. The same thing happened on the No Gun Signs. Until I was contacted by paaiyan I didn't know there was a discussion going on about OK. That I may have incorrect info. So I go looking for more info. I have to say that I can't go on what paaiyan tells me or anyone else. Not knocking their knowledge as I get emails everyday even telling me things like OK doesn't honor all other states. I have to have more than what someone posts on a BB. Attorneys are the best source as they usually don't want to talk about such things or give me info on how the law has been applied but will when they see it posted and want to have the correct info out there. Most of the Attorneys that contact me are involved in the RKBA.

So I am looking at the info and trying to gather more. Hopefully I can get some quality answers to this question. But until I do I have to err on the side of caution. Hope this answers your question
    Ransom and paaiyan like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

The new Open Carry Law in Oklahoma has opened avenues I never thought would happen. I called two midsize Police Departments and two Sheriffs Departments in Oklahoma asking them this question.

I don't want to break the law but I have found my self in two different businesses when upon leaving there was a small No Gun Sign that was not visible to me when I entered. I do not want to be arrested and lose my right to carry. Is there a set size a sign has to be? If I accidentally go past a No Gun Sign "will" I lose my right to Carry?

One wasn't sure and to call back later when another officer was there. 3 stated No that they had to ask you to leave first. All talked about the New Open Carry Law and how it applies. So it looks like the word is getting out to Law Enforcement about the new law. Looks like OK is on the ball and wanting this new law to work.

I was very surprised they answered. I do believe the only reason I got an answer was because of the New Open Carry Law. The OK Page will be updated Friday to show this.

Thank you all for bringing this to my attention. If you ever have any concerns about the content of the OK page or any information on Handgunlaw.us please don't hesitate to email me and let me know of your concerns.
    paaiyan likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Thanks Gary, you're awesome!
    My blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links