Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban - Page 3

Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban

This is a discussion on Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just received this link in an email. A column in the Norman Transcript. Good turnout at forum » Headlines » The Norman Transcript The last ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Help - Critique my Letter to the Board of Arvest Bank over New Gun Ban

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    736
    Just received this link in an email. A column in the Norman Transcript.

    Good turnout at forum » Headlines » The Norman Transcript

    The last paragraph states again what I was told.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

    Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

    Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network


  2. #32
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,620
    Not quite sure about a requirement to have a "license" to carry in any manner, but that's OK's issue to deal with. At least they have the choice of carry manner there, unlike "gun-friendly" Florida.

    I like that the PD had a public meeting and took a reasonable attitude toward informing the public and training 911 dispatchers to make sure a MWAG call requires a response. Seems like a someone has a head on straight. Need a few more Barbours in this country.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array mastercapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    502
    Personally, and this is MY take on it, I would not open carry if Florida law permits (bad pun) it.

    The diferentiating of concealed carry and open carry is due to the "fear factor" difference.

    Concealed, well, means concealed. The rest of the prople don't really know you have a gun.

    Open carry is flaunting it, sorta rubbing the mouse in their face.

    I was in Walley's world a year back. My 642 was IWB and beneath a "hawaiian" style shirt. A coupe, with a small boy, were in line in back of me were making comments about a "weapon" I thought was printing, but turned around and they were staring at my folding knife clipped in my pocket. I looked at them and sadi: "My knife? I use it in my work putting in commercial sound systems" They got quiet.
    Now, for the purpose of illustration, lets say it was the grip of my pistol sticking out........


    My friend has property in Va and in N.C. I go there with him 2-3 times a year. Open carry is legal there.
    I only open carry on his N.C. property, as its very rural, woodsey, and there's is a bear problem (.357 4"). We have seen bears 50 feet away 3 times. Otherwise, its my model 642 IWB, and very concealed
    My .02

    In Florida, if you carry in a posted business, and get made, if they say to leave, you leave. Otherwise, its "armed trespassing" and, boy, you in a heap of troiuble.

  4. #34
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,639
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Personally, and this is MY take on it, I would not open carry if Florida law permits (bad pun) it.

    The diferentiating of concealed carry and open carry is due to the "fear factor" difference.

    Concealed, well, means concealed. The rest of the prople don't really know you have a gun.

    Open carry is flaunting it, sorta rubbing the mouse in their face.

    I was in Walley's world a year back. My 642 was IWB and beneath a "hawaiian" style shirt. A coupe, with a small boy, were in line in back of me were making comments about a "weapon" I thought was printing, but turned around and they were staring at my folding knife clipped in my pocket. I looked at them and sadi: "My knife? I use it in my work putting in commercial sound systems" They got quiet.
    Now, for the purpose of illustration, lets say it was the grip of my pistol sticking out........


    My friend has property in Va and in N.C. I go there with him 2-3 times a year. Open carry is legal there.
    I only open carry on his N.C. property, as its very rural, woodsey, and there's is a bear problem (.357 4"). We have seen bears 50 feet away 3 times. Otherwise, its my model 642 IWB, and very concealed
    My .02

    In Florida, if you carry in a posted business, and get made, if they say to leave, you leave. Otherwise, its "armed trespassing" and, boy, you in a heap of troiuble.
    So someone going about their business, is flaunting and rubbing their nose with it? Interesting, does that also apply to the type of vehicle you drive? If your driving a red corvette within the speed limit, not hot rodding it, is that flaunting and rubbing it in their noses?

    Sorry, the my way is the only sensible way attitude doesn't fly. If it is legal, and the person is minding their own business, they shouldn't have to put up with crap about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  5. #35
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    So someone going about their business, is flaunting and rubbing their nose with it? Interesting, does that also apply to the type of vehicle you drive? If your driving a red corvette within the speed limit, not hot rodding it, is that flaunting and rubbing it in their noses?

    Sorry, the my way is the only sensible way attitude doesn't fly. If it is legal, and the person is minding their own business, they shouldn't have to put up with crap about it.
    +1. Whether you choose to carry openly or not is your decision, just as every one of us (in states that allow open carry) must decide for ourselves. If they are within the law, then they are doing fine. I would add my own caveat, which is that I would hope that they would not "bait" standers by or law enforcement, but that is my own pet peeve. As long as they are within the law, they're good. We all should, at the very least, support other people's decision to open carry of they so choose.

  6. #36
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,639
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    +1. Whether you choose to carry openly or not is your decision, just as every one of us (in states that allow open carry) must decide for ourselves. If they are within the law, then they are doing fine. I would add my own caveat, which is that I would hope that they would not "bait" standers by or law enforcement, but that is my own pet peeve. As long as they are within the law, they're good. We all should, at the very least, support other people's decision to open carry of they so choose.
    Agreed, I have no sympathy for someone intentionally baiting. Of course it's pretty easy to tell a baiters, they're the one who has a video posted of it before the police car has left the location.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  7. #37
    New Member Array dayid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    In Florida, if you carry in a posted business, and get made, if they say to leave, you leave. Otherwise, its "armed trespassing" and, boy, you in a heap of troiuble.
    Posted or not doesn't matter one bit in Florida. Carrying or not doesn't matter either, if you're told to scram (by an appropriate person, for any reason at all), you're trespassing thereafter.

  8. #38
    VIP Member
    Array BenGoodLuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,209
    It seems that "No-Gun" signs are allowed but no penalty is listed for violating them in OK. See http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oklahoma.pdf. Although the state allows businesses or individuals to post, there is no punishment listed in the sections following the Business Owner’s Rights section.
    Ben

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)


  9. #39
    Senior Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    590
    Hoog: Please keep us up to date on this. We have Arvest Banks in my area as well. (Arkansas) In fact, I have an account with one. Thx
    Last edited by Old Sarge; November 1st, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: More specific as to my location

  10. #40
    Member Array flydoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    314
    I've had my account at Arvest for some 20 years. Saw earlier this week that the branch here now has a No Guns sign posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

a letter to my bank about concealed weapons
,

arvest bank firearm policy

,
arvest bank gun policy
,
arvest bank weapon policy
,

bank of oklahoma weapons policy

,

cocealed. arry in banks in oklahoma

,

conceled carry in arvest banks in arkansas

,
criminals intentionaly target unarmed victems
,
does a bank need to have concealed carry ban
,

hate arvest bank

,
letter about open carry of a gun that a guy wrote to his bank
,
oklahoma bank ccw
Click on a term to search for related topics.