Think I am going to be restricted from carrying daily... - Page 2

Think I am going to be restricted from carrying daily...

This is a discussion on Think I am going to be restricted from carrying daily... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hi_altitude You can drive up to a Post Office and use the mailbox, you can even disarm in their parking lot. As ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Think I am going to be restricted from carrying daily...

Quote Originally Posted by hi_altitude View Post
    You can drive up to a Post Office and use the mailbox, you can even disarm in their parking lot. As the Regulation states it is only illegal within their facility:
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
    possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
    weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
    or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
    not more than 1 year, or both.
    You need to check Federal Regulations,if the Post Office is on their own land with their own Parking lot the Parking lot is part of the Post Office and under the law if you are armed in the Parking Lot you are in violation.
    Code of Federal Regulations - Title 39 - Chapter 1 - Part 32 is entitled "Conduct On Postal Property."

Section 232.1(l) states:
    Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by hi_altitude View Post
    You can drive up to a Post Office and use the mailbox, you can even disarm in their parking lot. As the Regulation states it is only illegal within their facility:
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
    possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
    weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
    or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
    not more than 1 year, or both.
    The above quoted law is accurate however there is an exception when it comes to the postal service.
    "No person on U.S.Postal Service property may carry or store firearms, explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes."
    Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Park the car, with gun locked inside,off School grounds. Walk the Child into the School. Return to the car that is parked off School grounds and away you go.
    Crowman and oakchas like this.

Which has been interpreted to include the parking lot. Please see here: Finally, a Post Office lawsuit to quash firearm ban, by NAGR

But imagine how Debbie Bonidy feels. Debbie and Tab Bonidy live in the mountains of Colorado, and are the plaintiffs –- along with the National Association for Gun Rights –- against the Postal Service.
    Debbie Bonidy doesn’t like going anywhere without her personal handgun, which is why she went through the trouble of being trained, proving she’s law-abiding, and getting her concealed carry permit. Not only does the U.S. Postal Service say she can’t carry that handgun for self protection in a Post Office, but they arrogantly claim she can’t even leave it in her car when in their lot.
    If we win this lawsuit, that outrageous policy will change in every Post Office in America.

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/22/l...#ixzz2ALstvt00

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    In Kansas concealed carry permit holders are allowed to have their gun concealed on school property (grounds, parking lots) if dropping off/picking up. You should push for a similar clause in your state.

I'm not gonna say anything further.
    Virginia has the same exception for the parking lot.
    I agree with joker1. You should contact your state representative.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    *cough* personally if it was me, and all I was there to do was pickup/drop off, II'd jjust bury it deep, and forget it's there at my back/waist/appendix/whatever. Don't adjust it, scratch at it, think about it, etc. Don't even mention to, or alert your child to the fact you have it, to avoid the chance of little billy going to school and saying MY DADDY HAS A GUN!
    If you choose this route of action, be aware of and prepared to face any resulting consequences if you are arrested for doing so. It's as simple as that. Know the law, know the results if you're caught, be prepared to accept them if they are, in your mind, less important than having the ability to protect the lives of yourself and your children at all times.
    "Gun Free" zones are simple "free fire" zones to criminals in reality, because they know the chances of someone shooting back are next to nil.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    *cough* personally if it was me, and all I was there to do was pickup/drop off, II'd jjust bury it deep, and forget it's there at my back/waist/appendix/whatever. Don't adjust it, scratch at it, think about it, etc. Don't even mention to, or alert your child to the fact you have it, to avoid the chance of little billy going to school and saying MY DADDY HAS A GUN!
    If you choose this route of action, be aware of and prepared to face any resulting consequences if you are arrested for doing so. It's as simple as that. Know the law, know the results if you're caught, be prepared to accept them if they are, in your mind, less important than having the ability to protect the lives of yourself and your children at all times.
    "Gun Free" zones are simple "free fire" zones to criminals in reality, because they know the chances of someone shooting back are next to nil.
    We don't advocate doing anything illegal on this board.

Do you really think that mass murderers think to themselves..."How can I stack the most bodies without getting shot at?"
    Their acts are acts of revenge against perceived slights (Columbine)... Or Symbolic; of what, we can't fathom, since we don't think like the mentally disturbed do(Aurora)...

Do you really think that armed robbers take the time to read... or even see... gunbuster signs?
    Crack/meth head can't put 2+2 together... let alone come to a rational conclusion that a gunbuster sign might mean nobody's armed... after all, they are.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

yes wisconsin laws are the same. i have to park in the road on public property and disarm. my son is in 7th grade. i just let him out, my daughter, also in kindergarten has to be walked in. yea it's a hassle, but it is worth it.

man up, find a parking spot on the road, and take a walk every morning. you'll thank me if you ever need it when you are at work.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Do you really think that mass murderers think to themselves..."How can I stack the most bodies without getting shot at?"
    Their acts are acts of revenge against perceived slights (Columbine)... Or Symbolic; of what, we can't fathom, since we don't think like the mentally disturbed do(Aurora)...

Do you really think that armed robbers take the time to read... or even see... gunbuster signs?
    Crack/meth head can't put 2+2 together... let alone come to a rational conclusion that a gunbuster sign might mean nobody's armed... after all, they are.

Two words:

Aurora, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Two words:

Aurora, Colorado.
    He already had the Aurora. So technically you only introduced one new word, but really everybody knows that he meant Aurora, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by oakshas
    Or Symbolic; of what, we can't fathom, since we don't think like the mentally disturbed do(Aurora)...
    (this is supposed to be funny/sarcastic, not mean/angry/rude)

My point was simply that some people DO think like the bozo in Aurora, and as a result, I don't believe that "gun free" zones are effective, or safe. Criminals don't pay attention to laws, or to signs prohibiting behavior.

I've contacted my brother-in-law who teaches CCW classes, to see if he had any additional information on the Maine law regarding school parking lots., just waiting to hear back. Looks like parking on the side of the road is going to be the only viable option, at least until the snow comes. Since the school is located on the main road, and there is just a break down lane. Once the snow comes, and snow banks piled up it will not be safe walking him in to school with the restricted break down lane space.

In my independent research as a Mainer myself and a parent, I have found that there's no way around carrying on school property. I have not sought legal council to be 100%, but I'm comfortably sure that I can't carry on school grounds, so I won't.

I have the same problem. Fortunately for me I work nights, so I just go back home and then get my gun. It's a drag sometimes, but I'd rather stay on the legal side of things than give the antis something to point to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

I couldn't get the quotes to work, so I guess I get to address it all at once. Yes, most active shooters seem intent on stacking up bodies without getting shot at, since most of them stop (and usually off themselves) as soon as any kind of actual resistance is encountered. I don't have to fathom jack, beyond knowing they are out there and at some point will act. Yes, addicts can put 2 and 2 together, given they have to come up with large amounts of cash 24/7 in order to keep things moving. They can even read signs, and understand their implications.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links