State Fair Carry?

State Fair Carry?

This is a discussion on State Fair Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After trying the search option a few times (with no luck) I had some questions about carrying at a State Fair. Arkansas' to be exact, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Fair Carry?

State Fair Carry?

After trying the search option a few times (with no luck) I had some questions about carrying at a State Fair. Arkansas' to be exact, although I am curious to hear from other states as well.

If any of you have been to the Arkansas State Fair, you know that it is NOT located in a very good area, rather the opposite. I don't remember going thru metal detectors in the past, and didn't have the CHL this time last year.

The only related info I can find is on the Arkansas State Fair website, it is as follows:

Patrons in possession of knives, handguns, decorative handcuffs, spiked wristbands or weapons of any kind will not be permitted on the Fairgrounds or in facilities. All items must remain in cars or checked in with a Security officer.

Does anyone know what is involved with the "checked in with a Security officer" part of this? Do you leave it with them, or are you "cleared" or what? Any ideas?

Has anyone out there anywhere (not just Arkansans) carried to a State Fair and if so, experiences?

Thanks in advance.
    p.s. I don't plan on riding any rides, just taking the newley pregnant wife and 18 mo. old to eat!

thanks again
    Last edited by dru22; October 3rd, 2006 at 01:32 PM.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    If they have a notice posted at the entrance you cannot carry on the property. See the following quote:
    Carrying of a concealed handgun may not be allowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than 10 feet that the "carrying of a handgun is prohibited" and posted at each entrance to the location.
    Also, is the state fair held at a location used by the police or Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department? Do they sell alcohol? Could this be considered a "school or college or event" (here we have cheerleading and other school competitions at the fair). Will there be any official meeting by any government body? Are any of the buildings you pass through "state owned"? If you answered yes to any, it would make carry at the fair a no-no. See the following quote:
    A license does not authorize any person to carry a concealed handgun into any police station, any Arkansas Highway Police facility, any buildings of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, or onto any parking lots or grounds adjacent to such buildings; any detention facility; any courthouse or courtroom; any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises; any school or college or event unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms-related activity; any polling place; meeting of a governmental body; any state office building; place of worship; airport terminal; or where prohibited by federal law.

It is unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer or a security guard in the employ of the State or any agency thereof, to carry or possess a loaded firearm in any State office building or other State owned building, or on the State Capitol grounds.
    Unless they have individual lockers available, I also would rather leave my gun in the car than "check it in" with a security guard.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

i would interpret the italicized statement as no you cannot carry. and we can't do so in Indiana either.

State Fair Carry?

Well, I am aware of Arkansas laws for carry, in which I would be allowed to carry at this location, but was trying to gather opinions, ideas and/ or experiences others may have had (if in fact you guys go to the State Fair ) he he

The closest thing (other than discretion of owner/ entity) that could pose an issue would be the alcohol, but we can still carry where alcohol is served and I assume the fair...."Has gross sales of sixty percent (60%) or more from the sale of food, food items, and nonalcoholic beverages" - So there again it all looks okay except for the owner's discretion.

I was hoping some have been there seen that and had some reflections of it all. I guess I will just have to look for a sign when we get there.

I'm with you PolarBear, no "checking it in" if it means someone else holds on to my peice!

Thanks for the replies....stay safe out there!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhittin View Post
    i would interpret the italicized statement as no you cannot carry. and we can't do so in Indiana either.
    Same in Virginia
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Senior Moderator
    The Arkansas State Fair is posted no carry. Its not the fair that is specifically posted, it is the area of the fair in which it takes place which has always been posted as long as I can remember.

I'll be the first to admit that the general area where the fair takes place is the kind of area that one need to be armed in.

That being said, I wouldnt try leave to leave it with a security guard as I am not aware of any capability to accept guns...so that would appear to be a risky adventure.

The "checked in" statement would probably stem from the exemption that Security uses to check and clear weapons at the several gunshows that take place each year in the "Hall of Industry".

My advice is to leave it in the vehicle.

As always, use your own judgement.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Oregon = Okay to carry. They try to say you can't but they are wrong :).

Wayne

Texas State Fair

The Texas State Fair in Dallas is not posted. However, they had employees with metal detecting wands, checking people before they bought tickets. However it turned out to be somewhat of a bluff. I was pushing my wife in a wheelchair. They got a beep on her bag and on my belt. They asked what she had in the bag but never looked. They failed to check me out. We went right in.

Don't go to the state fair if you can't carry. Lets see... a large group of unarmed people who can't defend themselfs.

In Minnesota, the carry laws says if you take money from the state you can't post a no carry sign. If you do and the sign is legal they have to ask you to leave. If you don't they can call the police and if you refuse to leave again you get a $25 ticket. Time to get the carry laws changed if you can carry in large groups.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Oklahoma has no weapons allowed signs posted at all entrances as well as many city and county police roaming.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dru22 View Post
    I'm with you PolarBear, no "checking it in" if it means someone else holds on to my peice!
    Agreed. There is only one place that I hand off possession of mine, and it ain't to a security guard!

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I appreciate your time on this inqury.
    I guess (after checking on the posted sign) I will be leaving it locked in the vehicle. We will be going during the daylight hours at least and shouldn't be there too long. Although I hate the idea of it being in the vehicle and not on me, it sure is better than leaving it at home!

Thanks again

Many State Fairs are held on State property and I believe many States prohibit CCW on State property, unless otherwise exempted such as in Florida where they recently began allowing CCW in State Parks.

I usually try to check and then double check the information found on www.packing.org. Unfortunately this site is down a lot.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

If this is the Little Rock fair skip it...

leaving your gun/knife locked in your car is a bad idea at this fair. Lots of people had there cars broken into.

I went last year to see the rodeo which was fun, but my wife wanted to see the fair after. All we managed to see was 4 differnt fights break out, then the grand finally of about 100 pissed off people about to have one of the biggest gang fights in history.

Of course, in California, they wand you at the entry, so you can't even carry a small pocket knife. That's a good reason why I never go...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links