Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please

This is a discussion on Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Should Bans Against Carrying Concealed Weapons Be Lifted On College Campuses? | Fox News...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please

~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Good luck. I teach at a public university in Ky., as true a gun state as there is, and it will take legislative action here to get freedom on campus. No amount of talk will do it.
    Ditto for Florida - teach at a State University and I do not see much hope this will addressed any time soon.

Don't know where the OP is, but a rule that allows visitors to carry but not students (what about faculty?) seemridiculousus.
    9MMare likes this.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Good luck. I teach at a public university in Ky., as true a gun state as there is, and it will take legislative action here to get freedom on campus. No amount of talk will do it.
    Thanks. It is an assignment I have to do for a class, not an attempt at changing the colleges policies. Perhaps by doing this topic it will shed light to people who may not have ever thought about this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
    Ditto for Florida - teach at a State University and I do not see much hope this will addressed any time soon.

Don't know where the OP is, but a rule that allows visitors to carry but not students (what about faculty?) seemridiculousus.
    Rural Virginia in the mountains.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

As far as being too broad- The professor said a topic like "Gun rights" is much too broad, but he felt something like "Students being allowed to carry on campus legally" should be fine. I could also hit on specific points that defy logical or common sense, such as policies that allow visitors, but not students to carry.

Keep the sources coming!
    Last edited by Ghettokracker71; October 27th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Very interesting topic! Last year a student carried a gun onto a campus in my town (he had a CC permit) and they had him arrested. I don't remember hearing how it turned out but they wanted to expel him too. I think he was an Air Guard member and probably about your age.

Good luck on your paper!
    How did they know he was carrying?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Very interesting topic! Last year a student carried a gun onto a campus in my town (he had a CC permit) and they had him arrested. I don't remember hearing how it turned out but they wanted to expel him too. I think he was an Air Guard member and probably about your age.

Good luck on your paper!
    I live in the eastern panhandle and I remember this story. As I recall, the guy's atty (who was also very involved in WVCDL) got the charges dismissed. A very unfortunate thing is that the atty, Jim Mullins, recently passed away from a heart attack I believe. I never met him, but I have read some things of his and he seemed like a genuinely nice, good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    How did they know he was carrying?
    Apparently someone noticed a "bulge" under his shirt and, since he had been known to carry before, assumed it was indeed a gun. Here is a local news article regarding the most recent incident. As I said in my previous post, the charges were subsequently dismissed.

Man arrested again for gun - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Start here:

CampusCarry.com - The Concealed Carry on Campus Debate Explained

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

An oldie but a goodie. It's a letter to the editor of Esquire Magazine back in the 80's (as a means of inspiration, rather than "campus carry" from days when yuppies roamed the earth... liberal yuppies, no less):

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

Good luck!
    Avoid the "Gun Facts" link as they didn't post their methodology and their sources were outdated last I checked.

Your best bet would be to use the FBI and DOJ Crime Reports. They should be the most up to date and they are not biased nor can their be any accusations of a bias. Avoid using the NRA and other pro-gun organization cites with the caveat that they need a source and a description of the method they came to get that source from.

Buckeyes for Concealed Carry President Uses Handgun to Defend Family
    Here's a link to a story out of Ohio that could be relevant to your paper.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Apparently someone noticed a "bulge" under his shirt and, since he had been known to carry before, assumed it was indeed a gun. Here is a local news article regarding the most recent incident. As I said in my previous post, the charges were subsequently dismissed.

Man arrested again for gun - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
    Well hopefully he learned a lesson about carrying properly and the meaning of 'concealed.' (being 'known to carry before' isnt using the best discretion).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Well hopefully he learned a lesson about carrying properly and the meaning of 'concealed.' (being 'known to carry before' isnt using the best discretion).
    Agreed.

Thanks for all the replies. It is appreciated!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

And the outline and basic construction of the paper begins!

As of now, I'm working on compiling a list of mass shootings that all happened in gun-free zones, in the process I have discovered several documented incidents where a CHL has stopped the threat and prevented further tragedy.

This should be very interesting to write, and see my other class-mates presentations.

Topics I know class-mates will be presenting on:

Same-sex couples adoption
    Legalization of marijuana
    Stem-cell research.

(Feel free to share any articles, stories, essays, documents, videos,...anything that I might be able to utilize in my assignment!)

I am also looking for visual aids for my presentation. Could be a motivational poster. Could be a saying or slogan. I appreciate all the responses so far.

For motivational posters, look here: Small arms

While not strictly addressing a gun free zone incident, it would be in many states in the USA - see the thread here: Shooting Back
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

OP- wish I'd have seen this post about 5 minutes ago... I just posted a very similar thread in the general gun discussion board. That's the downfall of browsing from a smartphone I suppose. At any rate, glad to see another student putting this issue out there. By your avatar, I'm guessing you attend FSU? That rule from the student handbook is very interesting and relevant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links