Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please

This is a discussion on Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my English class this semester, we have to do an oral presentation along with an argumentative research essay. I will be presenting in front ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Doing presentation on Students carrying on Campus. Looking for valid citations please

In my English class this semester, we have to do an oral presentation along with an argumentative research essay. I will be presenting in front of my classmates and professor, and graded on both the paper and presentation.The assignment entails picking a topic, taking a position, and arguing it. The professor asked us to find a topic we are care about (if possible) and something we have some knowledge on. The professor has to approve the topic, and no two students can present on the same topic. (Unless its opposing views. IE one student being pro, the other against.)

I feel very strongly about being able to carry while on campus, and felt this was a perfect topic.

I remember a while back there was a similar thread asking for help finding cites/sources, but I can't remember the exact topic of their paper, I searched and couldn't find it.

I would appreciate articles, studies, statistics, ...Anything you may know off that I may be able to build my case off of, and cite. I can use pictures or graphs in my presentation.

I can even use anti-gun sources. I asked my professor if I could cite an organization AGAINST my cause and then point out flawed logic, lies,..etc. and he said yes. (Brady bunch?)

Thanks!

{If it matters: the presentation is to be 10 minutes long. The paper is to be "not much longer" than 1500 words. I'm in freshmen level English. This is only my 2nd semester after starting college as an adult. }

NOTE: I'm not asking you to do my research or expecting to not have to do my own research or write my own paper. However: people here on the boards may have information I would not otherwise find. It can't hurt to ask, the more sources available I have, the better I can chose from them to build my case upon.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It would help to know the exact aim of your paper/presentation. You said the right to carry on campus.. but are you trying to argue that it would make campuses safer? That students are ready for the responsibility? That it is not a threat? Are you trying to show crime statistics on campuses? Are you trying to keep it to your specific state or go broader?

In 10 minutes you have to narrow it down a bit. I guess my question is, do you have an outline?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It would help to know the exact aim of your paper/presentation. You said the right to carry on campus.. but are you trying to argue that it would make campuses safer? That students are ready for the responsibility? That it is not a threat? Are you trying to show crime statistics on campuses? Are you trying to keep it to your specific state or go broader?

In 10 minutes you have to narrow it down a bit. I guess my question is, do you have an outline?
    I don't have to present the entire paper in 10 minutes. But I have to limit my scope of writing to "not much more than 1500 words" (what the professor said last night.). And I clearly want to focus on the strongest points during the actual presentation.

I'm still working on gathering as much research as possible, and getting general ideas down. No proper "outline" yet.

Mainly I would like to focus on allowing legal aged students with CHPs to carry on campus. And colleges not preventing this.

My own college handbook specifically states that visitors with CHP are welcomed to carry, while students are not.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I don't have to present the entire paper in 10 minutes. But I have to limit my scope of writing to "not much more than 1500 words" (what the professor said last night.). And I clearly want to focus on the strongest points during the actual presentation.

I'm still working on gathering as much research as possible, and getting general ideas down. No proper "outline" yet.

Mainly I would like to focus on allowing legal aged students with CHPs to carry on campus. And colleges not preventing this.

My own college handbook specifically states that visitors with CHP are welcomed to carry, while students are not.
    I agree with Lima - that is an EXTREMELY broad topic for 1500 words/10 minutes. Specificity is going to make your job much easier, and it looks like the fact that they differentiate between guest carriers/student carriers might be a good selection. It's not that they don't want guns on campus, they don't want STUDENTS with guns on campus. That sounds pretty crazy to me.

Start here:

CampusCarry.com - The Concealed Carry on Campus Debate Explained

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

An oldie but a goodie. It's a letter to the editor of Esquire Magazine back in the 80's (as a means of inspiration, rather than "campus carry" from days when yuppies roamed the earth... liberal yuppies, no less):

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

Good luck!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I agree with Lima - that is an EXTREMELY broad topic for 1500 words/10 minutes. Specificity is going to make your job much easier, and it looks like the fact that they differentiate between guest carriers/student carriers might be a good selection. It's not that they don't want guns on campus, they don't want STUDENTS with guns on campus. That sounds pretty crazy to me.
    I agree with this.. the student vs visitor discrepancy would be a GREAT 10 minute topic specific to your school and very narrow in goal. I say go for that!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Try Students for Concealed Carry - Students for Concealed Carry

They focus specifically on campus and school issues. It should be a wealth of info on the subject. Consider joining the local chapter or starting one.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    In my English class this semester, we have to do an oral presentation along with an argumentative research essay. I will be presenting in front of my classmates and professor, and graded on both the paper and presentation.The assignment entails picking a topic, taking a position, and arguing it. The professor asked us to find a topic we are care about (if possible) and something we have some knowledge on. The professor has to approve the topic, and no two students can present on the same topic. (Unless its opposing views. IE one student being pro, the other against.)

I feel very strongly about being able to carry while on campus, and felt this was a perfect topic.

I remember a while back there was a similar thread asking for help finding cites/sources, but I can't remember the exact topic of their paper, I searched and couldn't find it.

I would appreciate articles, studies, statistics, ...Anything you may know off that I may be able to build my case off of, and cite. I can use pictures or graphs in my presentation.

I can even use anti-gun sources. I asked my professor if I could cite an organization AGAINST my cause and then point out flawed logic, lies,..etc. and he said yes. (Brady bunch?)

Thanks!

{If it matters: the presentation is to be 10 minutes long. The paper is to be "not much longer" than 1500 words. I'm in freshmen level English. This is only my 2nd semester after starting college as an adult. }

NOTE: I'm not asking you to do my research or expecting to not have to do my own research or write my own paper. However: people here on the boards may have information I would not otherwise find. It can't hurt to ask, the more sources available I have, the better I can chose from them to build my case upon.
    Citizens with a permit should be allowed to carry onto any public school:
    Oregon Firearms Federation

Putting aside for a moment that Oregon does not issue "concealed weapons permits," this school just like every other public school in the state, has NO authority to forbid a person with a concealed handgun license from entering school property. While both Oregon and Federal law forbid people from being on school property with firearms, concealed handgun license holders are exempt from both laws.Oregon statute 166.370 forbids firearms in "public buildings" which schools are, but subsection B says "this section does not apply to:... (d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun"

As we have said elsewhere, if you have a child you maycarry unto public school property.

Convictions for Concealed Handgun License Holders: Texas 2012

Total offenses 63,679 crimes 120 by TX CHL holders 0.1884% of the total.

Collage students are not children: http://blog.edvisors.com/online-educ...n-the-upswing/
    At both Harvard and Notre Dame the average age is now 27. The University of Phoenix, which offers both online and traditional degree programs, has an average student age of 35-37.

That students are ready for the responsibility?
    I'm a 34 y/o military veteran.

How could I not be ready to carry to class?

Convictions for Concealed Handgun License Holders: Texas 2012

Total offenses 63,679 crimes 120 by TX CHL holders 0.1884% of the total.

Added relevance with some additional census context:

Texas Residency 2011: 25,883,999
    Texas 2011 CHL Issued: 143,725
    Crime rate among CHL holders 2011: .0008%
    Crime rate among general population 2011: .0025%

Though that assumes no repeat offenders, which is obviously incorrect, it's still statistically significant if you're trying to make a point.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL...ionsIssued.pdf

PS: Math isn't my strong suite, so double check for me, eh?
    ArmyMan likes this.

Good luck. I teach at a public university in Ky., as true a gun state as there is, and it will take legislative action here to get freedom on campus. No amount of talk will do it.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

1500 words not enough for such a broad topic? The Gettysburg Address was only about 270 words. I'll bet you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You beat me to it. That's a good resource. So let me add John Lott's book, More Guns Less Crime - John Lott's Website
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Very interesting topic! Last year a student carried a gun onto a campus in my town (he had a CC permit) and they had him arrested. I don't remember hearing how it turned out but they wanted to expel him too. I think he was an Air Guard member and probably about your age.

Good luck on your paper!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I thought this might interest you. Right after I replied to your post I went over to my FB page and read this. I copied and pasted it below. FB doesn't copy and paste all that well but you can still read the converstaion going on. Keep scrolling down.

The Journal, Martinsburg, WV

BREAKING: The Shepherd University text-message system has sent alert of an armed robbery on East Campus Street in Shepherdstown.

Like Share 9725 about an hour ago

9 people like this..

25 shares.

Chris Barnhart Just another reason why those with a concealed carry permit should be allowed to carry on campus!!!

57 minutes ago via mobile Like 9..

Mary Freels-Plourde I don't disagree but worry that if all were allowed to carry what paniac and mishap may ensue.

48 minutes ago Like 1..

Chris Barnhart Why would it cause panic or mishap? If a person is a resposnable gun owner permitted to carry concealed, the rest of the student body and faculity would never know! That's the point of CONCEALED!!!

42 minutes ago Like 10..

Sandra Small IMO, I don't think it's a good idea at all.

37 minutes ago via mobile Like 1..

Kevin Cantrell Could not agree more chris

35 minutes ago via mobile Like 2..

Robert Burns Well u can wait for the police to arrive then. The cops aren't even required in some instances

18 minutes ago via mobile Like..

Andrew Hoonut Prosecutor Pamela Games-Neely wrote a letter to Charleston asking that concealed carry be banned at Shepherd. Because I'm sure the criminals will heed the signs and leave their guns behind, so those who are trained and legally permitted to carry won't need to worry. yeah right.

8 minutes ago Like..

Write a comment...
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links