Going to Boston

This is a discussion on Going to Boston within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a NYS resident who has had their carry permit for almost three years now. I have to go to Boston for four days ...

Thread: Going to Boston

Going to Boston

I am a NYS resident who has had their carry permit for almost three years now. I have to go to Boston for four days for a conference, and sure wish i could legally carry . The guns will stay home in the gun safe.... guess its just me and my Situational Awareness to keep me out of trouble. One of my coworkers wants to party every night, and i told him i dont want to go to bars, and then start drinking.... makes you an instant mark. My Kung Fu is strong though, and my two finger death punch will hopefully save the day..... aint that a bunch of crap........ just wish i could carry thanks for listening. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

As a person who was born and raised in the Bay State, I can appreciate your angst. Unfortunately, Massachusetts is not among the friendliest of 2nd Amendment locales. For that, and many other politically based reasons, I left Mass. for Colorado.

I hope that you are able to enjoy your stay. Autumn foliage can be spectacular and the sea food is excellent.

As a Boston resident, i will tell you that Boston is an incredibly safe city, theres not much in the way of gangs and there are always plenty of people around any time of night.

ive been out late by myself and never once have i ever felt in any danger, its only when you leave the city and head into the 'greater boston area' like Roxbury and Dorchester that you should exercise some caution.

come out, enjoy the city, and have some fun.

I will be staying at the Marriott Copley place in Boston. Is this a safe area? thanks.
    "6 P's of self defense "

This can't be right. This is Mass and Mitt was their governor. He passed all kinds of laws allowing everybody to carry their guns. At least that was what the only party we thought we could trust with our second amendment protection told us. Could this be wrong. I am going into a cave until 2016!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Also make sure that you don't carry a knife over 2.5".

For the state that fired the first shot in the Revolutionary War, they've fallen quite a bit.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I will be staying at the Marriott Copley place in Boston. Is this a safe area? thanks.
    Copley is a fine area of Boston, so let that be some comfort for you. I am born and raised in MA, and go to Boston all the time, not once have I ever felt unsafe. There is a strong police presence, and there are always people around to watch your back, even if you are from out of town. Just don't wear any of your NY sports gear to a bar if you don't want trouble from unruly drunks who hate NYC. My girlfriend works near Copley and travels to and from there each day and at night, she has never felt unsafe, and never had any issues. Enjoy your stay!

I cancelled my trip due to weather.... might have some serious flooding here at my house in NYS. Hope it doesnt turn into the flooding we had last year. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Re: Going to Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Mcameron View Post
    As a Boston resident, i will tell you that Boston is an incredibly safe city, theres not much in the way of gangs and there are always plenty of people around any time of night.

ive been out late by myself and never once have i ever felt in any danger, its only when you leave the city and head into the 'greater boston area' like Roxbury and Dorchester that you should exercise some caution.

come out, enjoy the city, and have some fun.
    Ummm, Roxbury and Dorchester ARE Boston! Greater Boston doesnt start until you leave city limits.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

If you go take a trip to the Sig Pro shop in Exeter. Real cool store. It is an hour or so outside of Boston, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I am a NYS resident who has had their carry permit for almost three years now. I have to go to Boston for four days for a conference, and sure wish i could legally carry . The guns will stay home in the gun safe.... guess its just me and my Situational Awareness to keep me out of trouble. One of my coworkers wants to party every night, and i told him i dont want to go to bars, and then start drinking.... makes you an instant mark. My Kung Fu is strong though, and my two finger death punch will hopefully save the day..... aint that a bunch of crap........ just wish i could carry thanks for listening. bunker
    I don't see why Boston is scary exactly, it's pretty much on par with any city.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Also make sure that you don't carry a knife over 2.5".

For the state that fired the first shot in the Revolutionary War, they've fallen quite a bit.
    I live in Massachusetts and we don't have that rule, interesting. NYC is worse though, I've heard of people getting interrogated for ANY knife. NYC is a police state though.

NY State has gun laws just as bad, if not worse. They cap how many guns you can legally own!

Boston has different city rules which suck, like a requirement to belong to a gun club to even get your LTC.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I live in Massachusetts and we don't have that rule, interesting. NYC is worse though, I've heard of people getting interrogated for ANY knife. NYC is a police state though.

NY State has gun laws just as bad, if not worse. They cap how many guns you can legally own!

Boston has different city rules which suck, like a requirement to belong to a gun club to even get your LTC.
    MA does not have a knife law, but some cities/towns (like Boston) DO have such a law on their books. [NOTE: MA requires a MA NR LTC to possess OC in the state.]

No, Boston does NOT require club membership anymore to obtain your LTC. Your info is about 3 years out of date. For reasons totally unknown, they dropped that requirement quite awhile ago.
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    MA does not have a knife law, but some cities/towns (like Boston) DO have such a law on their books. [NOTE: MA requires a MA NR LTC to possess OC in the state.]

No, Boston does NOT require club membership anymore to obtain your LTC. Your info is about 3 years out of date. For reasons totally unknown, they dropped that requirement quite awhile ago.
    They dropped it because it was a ridiculous requirement! Most people pay per range visit and don't join as members. It all went back to "assuming" if you didn't have a club to shoot at then you MUST be out shooting the public! Sadly Boston is one of the most efficient cities for putting the LTC in your hand quickly. Too bad their usually slapped with T&H. But there's been an increase in ALP/NR permits issued. Maybe luck, dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post

Ah, interesting. I can carry around a Machete where I grew up in W Mass.

I only saw that gun club requirement from a blog explaining what you have to go through in Boston. Did you hear about that group of guys who got arrested for shooting in the woods in Quincy? The only reason I can figure is because of an old Quincy by-law that says shooting a gun in the town is illegal. The guy had a license and the gun was legal, but the Staties ended up going crazy and releasing dogs and choppers to find these guys...for nothing.

What is the procedure in getting an "All lawful purpose" LTC A in the City of Boston?

Websites really need to update what you need then.

I'm hoping we eventually get a non idiotic AG that doesn't keep a secret list of prohibited guns. The fact that I can't get the Springfield XD here bothers me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I'm hoping we eventually get a non idiotic AG that doesn't keep a secret list of prohibited guns. The fact that I can't get the Springfield XD here bothers me to no end.
    Who says you can't get an XD? No shortage of them in MA, you just gotta know where to look. The EOPS Roster applies to FFLs, not FTF xfers! MANY guns come in to the state legally that aren't on the list. That can legally be FA-10'd Where do you think all the Gen4 Glocks came from? XD's are easy enough to find in MA, the issue it typically finding 10rd's for them.

Links