Don't let your ego get in the way.

This is a discussion on Don't let your ego get in the way. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for posting this....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Don't let your ego get in the way.

Re: Don't let your ego get in the way.

Thanks for posting this.

2. Remove Ads

Seems like much of the message of 'taking the High Road' to me.

Well said.
    Remy likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Instructor told us we are held to a higher standard than "regular" people now. Simply because we legally carry a gun and they don't.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Really couldn't be said a better way. Carrying a gun brings with it a large responsibility that a lot of people don't understand, those that carry and those that don't.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Seems like much of the message of 'taking the High Road' to me.

Well said.
    Yes, this is how I like to look at it, although I have no problem letting my ego go, walking away, looking like a whimp. . . ect., ect.
    I think I had alot of these capabilities before, but it's definitely who I am now.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    It was refreshing not only to read the initial thread and its commentary but to see the replies that followed. All of them also praised the commentary and the thread. There were two things I saw in myself when I actually looked in a mirror to talk to myself about possibly purchasing a firearm. 1. Do I have reservations about using the firearm and actually ending up killing someone if, G-d forbid, I had no alternative. 2. Those alternatives mentioned in my first comment include everything and anything that avoids any confrontation, including the type of thoughts and comments in this thread. My answers were clear and unmistakeable and I take those answers with an extreme dose of responsibility. If your CCWP instructor taught you anything, it was total and complete avoidance of a confrontation and that the firearm was, indeed, an absolutely last resort and that includes profuse apology to the provoking idiot.
    tacman605 and tcox4freedom like this.

WOW! What a great statement. Thanks for posting this. As someone who is new to CC, this is a GREAT reminder that I'll need to keep a level head and NEVER go looking for trouble...
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I learned long ago I can't kick the world's butt. A a few individuals, yes, but they don't wear a "I'm Kickable" sign on their foreheads. It is soooo much easier to walk away. It's the one's who won't let you that you need to focus on.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Ego, just like alcohol, and guns, don't mix.
    tacman605 and JDE101 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Basically, if the only thing being hurled at you are words... find a way to walk away.
    tcox4freedom, 9MMare and Remy like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Can't argue with that.

But...

I'm sure some one will try.
    And here I go. Using NC law as an example, deadly force can be used in self-defense in circumstances where a reasonable person would feel their life is in danger. The question then becomes, What does a reasonable person think? It's sometimes decided by a jury as in the GZ case. It all boils down to how confident you are that a jury of your peers will agree with your assessment. So yes, you, two or more lawyers, the media and a sequestered jury certainly can argue that.

VIP Member
    dbglock. Not disagreeing but there is no amount of name calling that would justify deadly force.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    If you are secure in your manhood (or womanhood), you can have the most vile, insulting comments roll past you. You can be looking for what has actaully caused the confrontation and try to find a safe way out of it.

If you let those same comments drag you deeper and deeper into "his" whole, you will be stuck with almost no way out other than violence of some type.

Just because I take an insult without responding in kind doesn't mean I like it. It doesn't mean I am not angry. All it means is that I have a level of self control that may save a life someday.

That is what this is all about. The block head calling your mother/wife/girl friend a no good ...
    whatever ... doesn't know he is close to being in a gun fight, but YOU DO! There isn't a "reasonable man" anywhere that will agree that it was worth a life for insults. Sure you may only want knock his block off, but what if he comes back up with a knife of a gun? Then you are in a deadly force issue. No good, at all.

Keep a level head and don't respond to insults. The life you save may not be your own. It may be some stupid load-mouth whole doesn't know any better.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Great post. Thanks for reminding me. A little refresher is always good.
    +110 %

I must be the one person out of thousands of members that disagrees with this. I don't aim to escalate things, but I'm not going to allow someone to walk all over me. Carrying or not, I am not a doormat. If you are being rude and disrespectful, you're getting right back what you give me. I've worked in customer service and with the public all my career and one thing I've learned is you get nowhere being the *****.
    Toorop and 02R1 like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links