Don't let your ego get in the way.

This is a discussion on Don't let your ego get in the way. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great thread. And, good reminder. I am working on it. It is hard sometimes but I am working on it....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Don't let your ego get in the way.

Distinguished Member
    Great thread. And, good reminder. I am working on it. It is hard sometimes but I am working on it.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    They cannot arrest you if no crime has been committed.
    Umm, yes they can. Doesn't mean that it will stick or be prosecuted but they can certainly arrest you if they have "probable cause." And they will define it as they wish. Now, that doesn't mean that it won't get thrown out and, perhaps, you can sue for false imprisonment later, but don't assume they can't arrest you. They can. Whether they do, or not, may depend on many factors including the disposition of the officer(s) involved.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Acessbob. You cannot be arrested for a crime if probable cause that you committed that crime does not exist. Now what they define as probable cause is based on the definition of the crime and case law. LE has input into that but the prosecutor will decide whether the PC is there to go forward. Could you be detained while they decide? Up to a point but that is why your attorney is there, either charge or release it is not rocket science. If they need time to investigate fine release me then get a warrant later if they feel the need. IMO, are not going to risk the aftereffects of an unlawful arrest.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Ummm...yes that is the same article that is not where I got it from. I think it would be a good idea to take that link down as it violates forum rules I believe in regards to language.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    In regards to the original article--it is good. Somebody I know (not as well as I should) once said: "Turn the other cheek."

To Lara Croft---I read the other article you posted. As the dad of 4 adult daughters, I am pretty sensitive to these kinds of issues. I would say that for the most part, when we apply this concept of going the extra mile in ignoring verbal assaults, when we cross the gender barriers, the situation does in fact change somewhat.

Obviously, neither you nor any sane woman is advocating blasting away at some mouthy jerk, but the whole dimension of disparity of force comes into play when you have a mouthy, immature male (notice I did not say "man") who is acting verbally aggressive towards a woman. When we factor in aggressive verbal assaults along with the disparity of force (assuming the male is larger than the woman), then the threat factor goes up a couple of notches higher. You obviously would still not be justified in shooting the childish jerk, but he himself, by his aggressive attitude and words (perhaps body language as well), is ratcheting up the threat level. This is where other options, like OC spray, could be useful.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Acessbob. You cannot be arrested for a crime if probable cause that you committed that crime does not exist. Now what they define as probable cause is based on the definition of the crime and case law. LE has input into that but the prosecutor will decide whether the PC is there to go forward. Could you be detained while they decide? Up to a point but that is why your attorney is there, either charge or release it is not rocket science. If they need time to investigate fine release me then get a warrant later if they feel the need. IMO, are not going to risk the aftereffects of an unlawful arrest.
    It has happened in Portland. I'm just saying...(they just used a "disorderly conduct" charge which was later dropped).
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    That's the thing that SYG law is murky on, and my biggest issue with it. It's like standing there and watching some guy approach you from 100ft and he's looking for a fight. Instead of getting in your car and leaving, you just shoot him. Easily avoidable, but with SYG it seems like that would be perfectly okay.
    If more people knew they could be shot, less people would approach from 100ft and look for a fight.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    That's the thing that SYG law is murky on, and my biggest issue with it. It's like standing there and watching some guy approach you from 100ft and he's looking for a fight. Instead of getting in your car and leaving, you just shoot him. Easily avoidable, but with SYG it seems like that would be perfectly okay.

Just seems like it can be easily abused.
    It's not so much about allowing one to to stand in place against all comers when avoidance is prudent, it removes the "requirement" to retreat until trapped like a rat before defending one's self, as some states do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

well put. completely agree....
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not so much about allowing one to to stand in place against all comers when avoidance is prudent, it removes the "requirement" to retreat until trapped like a rat before defending one's self, as some states do.
    That's fine, people shouldn't have to retreat when attacked. However, if you can avoid shooting someone by simply retreating and you choose to stay, allow yourself to be attacked, and then shoot...then I have an issue with it. That's basically asking for it and wanting to shoot someone, you know?
    tacman605 likes this.

Like Peter Parker's (spider man) grandpa said to him, "With great power comes great responsibility." I'm naturally humble and has never ever started a fight or caused trouble in my entire life and i am about to turn 32 soon. BUT like GrandzJ said, I will NOT allow others to walk all over me though.
    GrandZJ likes this.

VIP Member
    02R1.our

This like everything else in life there is a balance that must be maintained. Short of a physical threat no insult said to you would constitute a reason to use your gun. Remember by default there is now a gun at every argument, traffic accident, every interaction you have it is there. You have to take the high road in these situations.

Acessbob. You cannot be arrested for a crime if probable cause that you committed that crime does not exist. Now what they define as probable cause is based on the definition of the crime and case law.
    Sure you can. Apparently you are unfamiliar with the phrase, "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride." Some police can and will arrest you for whatever they feel like. I've even read a case where someone was arrested for "resisting arrest" (how's that for circular logic?). It's no skin off their nose if the prosecutor later decides not to prosecute, or that the charges don't actually apply. Regardless, you've been arrested, booked, left in a holding cell, and incurred the expense of a lawyer. This is exactly what they wanted to inflict on you; they've "punished" you even without charges being filed. It is almost impossible to prove an arrest was knowingly and maliciously false--you'd pretty much have to have a recording of the officer(s) discussing how they knew you hadn't done anything but were going to arrest you anyway--so there is almost no "risk" to them.

That said, all this is off-topic for this particular thread.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

One night after my son's little league game, a dad from the opposing (losing) team was cussing his kids in the parking lot. And I mean SAILOR cussing. In front of all ages. And 99% were just gawking at the scene.

I told the individual that "My son and the other kids around weren't used to hearing that language at home and they sure weren't going to have to listen to it in the city park!"

Certainly, I was armed (and he could have been, too AFAIK). I'm also aware that it could have escalated.

I also wasn't going to apologize for his inappropriate behavior and embarrassingly rush my family into the car and on to the house.

Ego or not, sometimes you have to draw a line somewhere.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^^
    And did you report his crude behavior to Little League officials?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links