Don't let your ego get in the way.

This is a discussion on Don't let your ego get in the way. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this on another forum. It makes you think as it is intended. I paraphrased and edited some of it for language and added ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Don't let your ego get in the way.

VIP Member

Don't let your ego get in the way.

I found this on another forum. It makes you think as it is intended.

I paraphrased and edited some of it for language and added a couple of statements others had made in regards to it.

As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, more-so than the police ever have to be. You do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then, stuff like this can happen. You do not start stuff, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk smack, or even raise your voice to anyone, ever.

A combat instructor (who happened to be Buddhist and a Marine) once said to me:
    "From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day.

You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the heck down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk stuff about your lady friend. You will let them call your mother a witch and a hooker, your dad a punk.
    You have no ego. You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him.

Even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you took someone's life in defense of your pride and ego not your life.

You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though many of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, a union, plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up.

In closing he added “After backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, call your lawyer, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision...... to kill himself."
    RichB70, 3wggl, DaGunny and 34 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Can't argue with that.

But...

I'm sure some one will try.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Just a thought, here. Many people talk about "de-escalation" but very few realize that this ^^^ is what that means.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Gotta have thick skin.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me." The anti-ego statement most every 3yr old child has heard.

Grandma was right. And her grandma was right. And hers ... Bless 'em all, for that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

True dat.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Thanks for the post...great reminder. You can cause a whole lot of problems for yourself if you fail to keep your ego in check.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Great post. Thanks for reminding me. A little refresher is always good.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

That would most certainly help you in the courtroom if things took a wrong turn in self defense.

That is what my instructors said at my CCL class, almost verbatim and it sounds good to me.

Re: Don't let your ego get in the way.

Thanks for the reminder.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

mkh
    Lots of truth in that post.

Especially about the lawyers.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    This is a great post. I try to explain this concept to my family and friends that don't understand self-defense and guns. They ask questions about how guns might cause problems and escalate sittuations. This post is the part that they don't understand. I have a lot of pride, but I know when it is less important than not killing someone.
    Walk softly ...

Very good post! I like the im not the police part: no union, no free lawyers, and yeah who wants to live with the fact that they just killed someone over ego. Another helpful tip.. thnx

Great post! Basically, this is the same thing the instructor said in my wife and my CHL class. And the anti gun sheep who believe a gun just escalates a situatiion don't understand this, and never will!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links