More newbie questions...

More newbie questions...

This is a discussion on More newbie questions... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1) I haven't taken my CCP class yet - it's set for November 3rd. I just received my holster in the mail yesterday. I want ...

Thread: More newbie questions...

More newbie questions...

1) I haven't taken my CCP class yet - it's set for November 3rd. I just received my holster in the mail yesterday. I want to start breaking in my holster and getting used to the sensation of carrying. Am I allowed to go out in public with an unloaded gun concealed if I don't have my permit yet? I'm thinking the answer is probably no, but I wanted to defer to the experts. What about wearing just the holster?

2) Define "printing". Is it clearly seeing the outline of a gun, or just that it's obvious you have something there? In some of my outfits, there is definitely a lump, like I am carrying something sizable in my back pocket, but you can't tell it's a gun. Is this considered printing? Is printing against the law?

Thanks.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Nope, but you can wear the holster. I have done that. I also wear around the house until I can legally do otherwise. Printing is subjective. I suppose technically it is any part of the gun bulging the clothes. I am only really concerned if it is overtly obvious, or if it actually prints enough to tell what the item is, such as a revolver in pocket without holster.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Copy Jon - I wouldn't carry the gun without a permit.

As far as printing, I don't know what the technical definition of it is (or if there even is one), but I DO know that it's not illegal in GA. GA is an open-carry state, though. I was told (by gentlemen working the GA Carry booth at a gun show... not by a lawyer...) that to get in trouble for brandishing you would essentially have to have the gun unholstered and be waving it around recklessly or pointing it at someone. I don't plan on ever testing these theories, though, so take it with a grain of salt

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    1) I haven't taken my CCP class yet - it's set for November 3rd. I just received my holster in the mail yesterday. I want to start breaking in my holster and getting used to the sensation of carrying. Am I allowed to go out in public with an unloaded gun concealed if I don't have my permit yet? I'm thinking the answer is probably no, but I wanted to defer to the experts. What about wearing just the holster?

2) Define "printing". Is it clearly seeing the outline of a gun, or just that it's obvious you have something there? In some of my outfits, there is definitely a lump, like I am carrying something sizable in my back pocket, but you can't tell it's a gun. Is this considered printing? Is printing against the law?

Thanks.
    my thoughts on this:

Wear the holster, and if you can, wear it with a bluegun if you want to really get the feel for it, although before doing this, check your local laws on "shadow law" or carrying something that "looks like a gun" and the legality of doing so.
    Printing would be showing that you have something that could be a weapon under your shirt. Ideally, you don't want to print, or show any sign of carrying, if you can. I have both IWB and belly band holsters for this purpose.

VIP Member
    As others have said, you cannot conceal carry any firearm in public until you are legally able to do so. Carrying the empty holster is fine. Printing is when someone else can see an impression of your firearm through your clothing.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

First, I am NOT a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. That said, check your state's gun laws! However, I would NOT recommend carrying, even an empty gun, until after you get your permit. Carry in your house to get use to the feel of it, (and be sure to continue carrying at home even after you have your permit--remember, 100% of home invasions occur at home!). As far as "printing" is concerned and it's definition, that varies by state. But generally, it refers to something being identifiable as a gun rather than just a "bulge". After all, people wear medical devices, cell phones, etc. that all produce "bulges"!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

GH
    Printing is legal in some states that allow open carry but it's illegal in others that don't. In my way of thinking a mere bulge that doesn't "print" the shape of the weapon would be legal (I'm not a lawyer & my state allows open carry). My cell phone & multi-tool case that I wear on my belt print more than my firearm does most of the time but it's something I really don't dwell on. The only time when I really try hard to make sure that even a slight bulge is all but unnoticeable is when I absolutely don't want anyone to even suspect that I'm carrying. Cold/cool weather clothes make it much easier. An untucked t shirt shows only a slight bulge.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    If open carry is legal in your state, feel free to open carry places your are comfortable doing so (provided you don't need a permit to do that). And you can carry in your home however you like.

Some states actually have defined definitions of "printing" but in general it's a condition wherein the object is recognizable as a gun.

That's very subjective though because to one person the tiny little buldge on your hip could be a cell phone.. to someone else it's a gun. .. no question. Better to err on the side of caution and make sure no one can make a judgment either way.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    1. Some states allow un-permitted CC within the boundries of one's business or property, but none that I am aware of elsewhere.

2. A glock under a skin-tight underarmor T is definitely printing. Seeing the number of people with cells, etc., on their belt these days, one can guess that a lump under a shirt isn't automaticly a MWAG (WWAG?) call to 911. Most people are ignorant of someone CC'ing.

Research MO statutes on firearms and CC'ing to find the answer that applies to you. In FL, cencealed is "concealed from ordinary view." No mention of printing in the statutes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Actually there are four States that allow CC without a permit. Alaska, Vermont, Wyoming and Arizona.

If you haven't checked it out already here is a good place to start reading about the laws of MO:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

I would also recommend you check out the state website for the latest laws just to make sure you are up to date.

Also in regard to printing I wouldn't worry about it too much in general. I have recently started carrying a .38 spl in a pocket holster in my left front pocket of my dockers. The bulge is very pronounced but so far no one has commented or asked if I have a gun. I'm still waiting to tell whoever asks "I just happy to see you"!

Honestly, most people go about in such a total state of blissful ignorance of their surroundings the chance of a random person that doesn't carry noticing your EDC printing is slim to none. YMMV

Sponsored Links