Nc law unclear need info

This is a discussion on Nc law unclear need info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; QUESTION IS: Can a north Carolina resident legally carry concealed in North Carolina with a Florida concealed carry permit ????? The reason I need to ...

Thread: Nc law unclear need info

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Nc law unclear need info

QUESTION IS: Can a north Carolina resident legally carry concealed in North Carolina with a Florida concealed carry permit ????? The reason I need to know is Florida's concealed carry license is valid here. It is for 7 years therefore less expensive. What I am confused about is can a NC citizen carry concealed with Florida permit without having a NC permit????? anyone know anything ???

2. Remove Ads

Legally you can, but you can not use an out of state permit to eliminate the pistol purchase permit needed to buy a handgun but an NC CHP can.

Second but more importantly, you are missing all of the training on NC laws regarding the use of deadly force and the concealed carry laws specific to NC. That in itself is worth the course cost and permit costs.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

NC recognizes all valid out of state permits. You can not, however, use that permit to purchase a handgun in NC. You will either need an NC concealed carry permit or a handgun purchase permit issued by the Sheriff in the NC county where you live.

NC Bullseye ....Thanks so much for the reply and your training points are well founded and understood....I just don't understand why NC would not require a NC resident to obtain a NC CC license and why they would allow NC residents to go through another state for licensing......Also in Florida if you are discharged honorably from the military, and submit your DD-214 with application they waive the CC training Certificate....Just makes no sense to me......but again ...thanks so much

pir8fan....ditto NC Bullseye

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Look at the NC statute, specifically at resident permit requirements.

If the situation were reversed (a FL resident with a NC permit) it would not be honored in FL. You must be a resident of the state in which you hold the permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    NC Bullseye ....Thanks so much for the reply and your training points are well founded and understood....I just don't understand why NC would not require a NC resident to obtain a NC CC license and why they would allow NC residents to go through another state for licensing......Also in Florida if you are discharged honorably from the military, and submit your DD-214 with application they waive the CC training Certificate....Just makes no sense to me......but again ...thanks so much
    Different state; different requirements. FL requires proof of firearms safety training, not a requirement for a class on CC law.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links