Suggestions for my wife's concealed carry. 38 special...

This is a discussion on Suggestions for my wife's concealed carry. 38 special... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everybody I'm new here and searched for an answer to this question online and came across this site and thought it'd be my best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suggestions for my wife's concealed carry. 38 special...

Hello everybody I'm new here and searched for an answer to this question online and came across this site and thought it'd be my best chance to get an educated answer. My question is what are the best grips for a female with very small hands for the Smith & Wesson 442/642 we're not sure which model we're getting her yet either 442 or 642. We're looking for something recoil reducing but not overly big and bulky and she also prefers pink. The stock Uncle Mike's grips fit her well and also come with optional pink color but doesn't help much with the recoil. Also what do you suggest as far as the 442 compared to the 642? She likes either finish we're just not sure if one is stronger or lasts longer than the other.

Thanks for your help.
    -gNg

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've held both, they both fit my hand well (better than the LCR), and would probably fit her hand well also. I don't know of an advantage of either one over the other. Maybe some of the S&W airweight fans can kick in. As long as she's not starting out with +Ps the recoil should be managable, but snubbies take practice to gain proficiency. Don't have her burn thru a couple of boxes in a sitting as she may not care for the recoil.

But pink? She don't need no Barbie gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Maybe the Hogue bantum will fit her needs. Pink knida sticky in the hand and small. - Amazon.com: Hogue S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Bantam Style Grip, Pink: Sports & Outdoors

We were checking these exact grips out the only issue we had was the back strap is exposed so not to sure if that would help in decreasing recoil. So we were hoping to find something that covers the back strap but not to big.

J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo
    Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo

Sorry does not come in pink. However it does cover the back strap, is not overly larger than the stock grip and helps with felt recoil. I have one on my 642 and like it.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

My wife looked at both of those and went with the 637 CT. It's +P rated. She really likes her choice.

That's a nice choice we do like the CT grips but out of our price range for now.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Also what do you suggest as far as the 442 compared to the 642? She likes either finish we're just not sure if one is stronger or lasts longer than the other.
    Thanks for your help.
    -gNg
    Not alot of difference. 642 has stainless steel cylinder and barrel and 442 has Carbon Steel Cylinder and barrel.

Product: Model 642

Product: Model 442
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Has anyone tried the Pachmayr decelerator grips for the 442? Wondering if they really work as far as reducing recoil. Thanks for the suggestions thus far I will definitely be checking into them.

Also any other suggestions on different snubby 38's are welcomed too.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    That's a nice choice we do like the CT grips but out of our price range for now.
    You might want to rethink that. Too many people buy one thing to save a few bucks only to regret the purchase later. They then go out and buy the item they originally wanted. Which costs more? Do it right the first time or spend for 2 guns?

For pure recoil reduction, I'd suggest one of the rubber-type grips from either Pachmayr (SJ-G Gripper/Decelerator), Hogue (precision soft rubber monogrip) or S&W full-size. IMO, any of these offer improved recoil reduction and comfort for the J-framed S&W revolvers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo
    Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo

Sorry does not come in pink. However it does cover the back strap, is not overly larger than the stock grip and helps with felt recoil. I have one on my 642 and like it.
    I own 5 J-Frames and have the grip recommended above on all of them. I have a drawer full of other grips, wood and synthetic, that I have tried but these work best. Also, stick with standard pressure loads (not +P) and she will find she can handle the recoil.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

You can get a Hogue monogrip in pink. It will cover the backstrap and you can get 3 fingers around it. You can also buy a 642 new with Crimson Trace lasergrips cheaper than buying the gun and lasergrips seperately

I have an ooooold Airweight that I have the Hogue Bantam grip on, and even though my fingers are pretty thick I like the grip and it did a lot to make the gun more enjoyable to shoot than with the stock wood grip. I too didn't think the exposed backstrap was going to work well, but it isn't a problem.
    I like the Pachmayer Decellerators on a .44, but thought they were too bulky for a J frame.
    NRA Life Member

I got the wife the 624 CT. The laser grips are a GREAT training tool.

We had a spot on the wall at at the foot of the bead from swatting a moth; after checking and DOUBLE checking it for empty I would have her practice the trigger pull and try not to let the red dot move off the spot. At first she was all over the wall, but pretty quickly was able to keep the dot in a torso sized area. Then I bought and installed a set of Wolff reduced weight springs and I would not want her shooting at me.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links