Defensive Carry banner

Important Information For All NC veterans and concealed carry

26K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Crowman 
#1 ·
North Carolina does little for it's states veterans.

If you are a veteran and apply for a cc license you have to pay for the training certificate, plus county sheriff's permit fee's (average 90 to 120 dollars).

You can apply for a Florida non-residence concealed carry permit cost is 70.00
you can get your digital scanned fingerprints at your local sheriff's office for 10.00 on fingerprint cards sent to you from Florida.

Now the good part: Florida will accept your copy of your dd-214 discharge in lieu of any firearms/cc/training certificate....(you don't have to take the class)

Your Florida license is valid in NC for concealed carry.

here is a link if you want to know what and how to do this.............Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

#2 ·
As a vet in NC I see no problem with the required course in NC. It's aimed at educating you on both the laws for use of deadly force and concealed carry laws of NC neither is provided by the FL permit. It's a cheap investment compared to the legal problems you can encounter without the training. Plus the NC permit takes away the requirements for a pistol purchase permit from the sheriff of your county when ever you want to buy a handgun.

The NC permit is $80 plus $10 for finger prints so you're really not saving much for the permit and the class is well worth the additional training your getting for instruction on gun safety and concealed carry help along with the legal it's a great deal.

Plus as an NC resident your FL permit is not valid in SC since they only accept permits from the state you are a resident of.

Don't try to pinch pennies when your life and livelihood are at stake.

#3 ·
I understand and think it is great they accept a DD-214 in lieu of a training class, but just because I am a veteran why would I think that I would not have to pay for my permit?

#4 ·
Arizona will also count DD-214 for the training requirement. Cost is $60, plus whatever you have to pay for getting printed (they supply cards.)

And lately they seem to be processing quicker. Just got mine back from them in barely two weeks.

That said, I feel people should first of all have the permit from their home state. JMO.

Reactions: ArmyMan
#6 ·
But, it is an option for folks (vets) who are going through financial hardship and need to be frugal. Most vets have been exposed to firearms while in the service and also know how to read statutes. Getting the FL permit while saving some money will give them a chance to carry their self defense firearm in NC while on a strict budget. My 2 cents.

#7 ·
If you want to save money, take the NC course and then open carry until you can save the cost of the permit to conceal carry. At least then you will have an understanding of the laws and how they apply to the residents of NC.

The cost differential between getting a FL permit and a NC permit would seem very very insignificant compared to a lawyers fee to represent you in a assault with a deadly weapons charge.

You're talking a difference of under $100 dollars and you gain not only the knowledge that lets you carry responsibly but you gain the ability to carry in a neighboring state where the FL permit isn't valid.

I just hate to see someone be penny wise and pound foolish.

#9 ·
I do applaud your stance on proper training and knowledge of cc laws and deadly force laws and I agree with that 100%...however, there are those among us who are well trained and proficient in firearms and firearm safety. Knowledge of cc carry laws and deadly force is not something one necessarily has to pay 100.00 or more dollars to obtain. The information is available for free if you know where to look and go to obtain it....but I agree everyone should obtain it......no disagreement with you at all on this point

#10 ·
While an out of state permit may be technically legal, I wouldn't want to find out that some cop, DA, whatever had an issue with that. You are dealing with a deadly weapon and the consequences of just pulling it out can be severe - expensive and time consuming. I'll spend the relatively small amount to get an instate permit. If I need more states, I'll get an out of state permit to cover others. While I don't have any examples of folks having issues, its not a risk I wish to take. If you feel the risk is minimal, then go ahead. As a local prosecuting attorney once told me - "POP (?? Of the Police) is a real charge. It may be dropped later, but you can get arrested for it. And no, most times you won't sue them and get rich."

#11 ·
The bad news is that by getting a FL permit, you will not be allowed to carry in NH, SC, MI or CO on it. They only recognize the FL resident permit.

#13 ·
Well, you may have made up your mind but I'll say one more thing about it. First, the FL permit is $70 plus $10 for the fingerprints so you're looking at $80 total. The NC permit is $80 plus $10 for finger prints for a total of $90. (not sure where you're getting the $95)

If you do the math (using your FL numbers) it's $11.43 per year for the FL and $18.00 for the NC a grand total of $6.57 a YEAR difference. By the time you pay for the gas to go pick up one pistol purchase permit and the cost of the permit ($5.00) you covered the years difference plus. You add in that you can carry in all bordering states and the less chance of questions during a stop even if it's just a few extra minutes for the permit to be verified through FL then is it really worth it?

If you look at http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/License_Fees.pdf there appears to be a $42 dollar "Finger print processing" fee for non residents as well so if that's correct your total is now $112 for FL vs $90 for NC and that makes the yearly difference $2.

Yes, you may have a satisfactory level of gun safety by being in the mil but I can guarantee you that you are not the norm. A big chunk of the vets only handle firearms rarely if ever more that the initial quals and that is not sufficient to handle a concealed carry handgun. I also guarantee that as a military vet you most likely were not given any training in drawing from concealment and what the concerns are for carrying in a concealed manor.

Lastly, you are correct that the laws are available to anyone for free but you are NOT getting the explanations of those laws and the vast majority of the problems people have is in their misunderstanding of the statutes. You can find the CHP courses for less than $100 (I've seen them in the $50 to $75 range often) and you will be correctly trained in the pertinent laws.

Its like a root canal, sure you can find the information on how to correctly perform one but would you trust your carpenter friend who got their info from the internet for free on how to do one work on your tooth?

Yes, you can carry on a FL permit as a NC resident. Yes, it is cheaper. The difference is less than $7 a year for the permit. As to the training? You'll spend that amount on one or two range sessions and ammo and you'll spend far more than the course cost if miss one of the finer details and end up on the wrong side of the law.

I wish you all the luck in the world and if you ever have any questions on the laws please feel free to ask. All I ask is that if you promote getting an out of state permit to anyone make sure they understand what they are really saving and what they are risking and let them decide if the risk is worth the under $7 a year difference.

I know I may seem quite adamant about it but I've seen what cutting corners can do and what people "think" is safe and legal vs what really IS safe and legal.

#14 ·
"In Florida the non-resident or resident permit is 70.00 it is valid for 7 years.....here it is 95.00 and only good for 5 years "

The FL license is $70 + fingerprint processing $42 for $112 for 7 years-- $17 per year if you wish to look at it that way.
NC would be less that $20 per year, hardly a savings.

#17 ·
NC Bullseye......Again no problem with your position at all...there may be some misunderstanding of why I am doing this.....I own my own business (Florist) and there are times when late hours are called for especially on major holidays (Valentines, Mothers Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas) ....It sometimes require we work all night and there are large sums of money on the property. I have at least 50 to 60 hours of range time with many calibers of Handguns. I am well versed in handgun safety and I'm a rather accomplished shooter. I have no intention of riding all over the state (or other states) with a concealed weapon. I will use it at work to protect me and my employees if the need were to ever arise. I also sometimes have to deliver flowers to area's known to be unsafe and high crime..But I would never look for any problems anywhere. I also would never exercise deadly force in excess of the threat presented to me. I am 66 years old, not stupid, but I will defend my home, family and workplace if necessary. I am well versed in concealed carry do's and dont's. But I do agree with you about the training...I really do.........

#21 ·
I'm a retired vet and own a business. I truly understand your situation and position. Just because you CAN get by with a FL license, doesn't mean you SHOULD. You're betting that every LEO knows every aspect of NC concealed carry law. One traffic stop could result in your weapon being confiscated, your vehicle impounded, and you having to get bailed out of jail. Sure, you'll be exonerated...eventually. In the mean time, your arrest will be in the local paper...the same papere that will NOT print that you were exonerated. Your lawyer fees will be a lot more than what you saved.

#18 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....NEVER say Never! Oops...I'm doing just what i'm sitting here and mentally criticizing..."arguing with a fencepost"...Oh well, I can save time and money just doing it mentally...Now to figure out how to make a post without having to type what I want to say...I'm sure everyone understands!!! Don't ya'll!!!! JMO

#19 ·
I'm a Vet in Tx we have to pay for the CHL class,but we only pay 1/2 price for the license,initial license is $140/$70 Vet,reissue is $70/$35 Vet.
I realize a lot of people don't like the idea that some states require you pay for and attend classes,but the classes are geared towards use of deadly force,some scenarios you may encounter and how you would react,and shooting which IMHO is a way the State can say well they did hit the target the minimum number of shots required

#22 ·
As a Vet with a combat arms MOS, and lots of time combating my arms.......

I run into a lot of Vets who had no real experience with weapons, and especially small arms or hand guns, during the years they served.

A DD-214 does not mean you know which end of the gun to point wherever or how to use it safely! I know many people who have DD-214s who cannot even figure out how to remove the mag from a semi-auto..... It scares me sometimes.

#23 ·
"...........shall not infringe." Strange how the various governments/supreme court constantly have no conception of what that means.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.