Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max Feeding Problems? Here is My Fix...

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max Feeding Problems? Here is My Fix... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own several Glocks and a Ruger LCP..I bought this ammo for all of my carry guns...The tips of both of these type bullets was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max Feeding Problems? Here is My Fix...

I own several Glocks and a Ruger LCP..I bought this ammo for all of my carry guns...The tips of both of these type bullets was catching on the feeding ramp and jamming in all of my guns..At least two times per magazine.

What I did was take some clear fingernail polish and apply just a very thin layer on the tip of each bullet..Let them dry for about an hour...Now these rounds feed in ALL of my guns like candy...I even manually cycled a few rounds over and over...And the clear top coat on the bullet tip was still there...This stuff really dries hard and stays where you put it...

The stuff I used is called Sally Hanson brand: "HARD AS NAILS STRENGTHENING TOP COAT". This really works great..

It would be interesting to see the results of ballistic gel tests versus unmolested rounds.

The nail polish probably won't effect the ballistic performance... but why chance it? Just get a different round that feeds reliably and be done with it.

Interesting. I have tried Critical Defense in three different guns, two of them Glocks, and I haven't had any problems. I don't carry it but I did want to try it out in a few guns. I usually carry either Gold Dots or HSTs.
    ironmike86 likes this.

I shoot Critical Defense in both my Glocks (G27 and G22, both Gen4) without problems in either.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    The nail polish probably won't effect the ballistic performance... but why chance it? Just get a different round that feeds reliably and be done with it.
    And then when the zombies come your brain is the main course!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The polymer tips were catching on the feed ramps..Maybe I got some bad batches of bullets..But there was pieces of the tips inside my guns that I shot them out of. Just letting people know this happened to me and how I fixed it...tested these in wet phone books and they expanded like they should...

Re: Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max Feeding Problems? Here is My Fix...

I have had some of the Hornady steel case catch when chambering the first round in my Sig. But not when firing.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Quote Originally Posted by AK47Man View Post
    The polymer tips were catching on the feed ramps..Maybe I got some bad batches of bullets..But there was pieces of the tips inside my guns that I shot them out of. Just letting people know this happened to me and how I fixed it...tested these in wet phone books and they expanded like they should...
    Cool! Nice fix to know in case I try that ammo, and have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DroidGeorge View Post
    I have had some of the Hornady steel case catch when chambering the first round in my Sig. But not when firing.

George
    I have always felt uneasy about steel cases. The steel can scratch the chamber of the firearm. Frankly, when Hornady's steel match ammo came out, I was surprised to learn that any of the major ammo makers are using steel cases. However it must be working out OK, or they wouldn't still be offering it. I guess it's just a mental block on my part.

You shouldn't notice any of the polymer material in your firearm. You may have gotten a bad batch.

I'd suggest you have a feed problem going on , as Critical defense is pretty close to any typical ammo .... if it's hanging up , I'ld be checking the mag, recycling, etc. over well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Suppose pink sparkle polish would have performed as well?

I have shot Federal HST, Ranger T & SXT series, Corbon Pow-r-balls, Golden Saber, and basic target ammo like
    Magtech, WWB, UMC, etc...These Critical Defense and Zombies are the ONLY ONES that my Glocks AND
    LCP had problems with...Most likely a bad batch of ammo..But with four different calibers?..380, 40cal, 9mm, 45acp..If anyone wants to Youtube search Hornady Critical Defense problems...go right ahead..I am not the only gun owner that has had this problem...

I own several Glocks and a Ruger LCP..I bought this ammo for all of my carry guns...The tips of both of these type bullets was catching on the feeding ramp and jamming in all of my guns..At least two times per magazine.

What I did was take some clear fingernail polish and apply just a very thin layer on the tip of each bullet..Let them dry for about an hour...Now these rounds feed in ALL of my guns like candy...I even manually cycled a few rounds over and over...And the clear top coat on the bullet tip was still there...This stuff really dries hard and stays where you put it...

The stuff I used is called Sally Hanson brand: "HARD AS NAILS STRENGTHENING TOP COAT". This really works great..
    I fire hollow points out of my S&W and never need nail polish to ensure no jambs.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links