Carrying With A Physical Disability

This is a discussion on Carrying With A Physical Disability within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ I am currently ( not permanent) in a wheelchair, but was I in crutches, I would assume I am going to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carrying With A Physical Disability

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I am currently ( not permanent) in a wheelchair, but was I in crutches, I would assume I am going to the ground in a self defense situation, MAy be better to fall on your own terms that let the bad guy take you down.
    I would think you are right! By choosing where you fall you may find some protection or cover. but you may also take away any chance of maneuvering away. These tactics are going to be very personal to each, as your disability's and strengths are uniquely yours. Good luck DR

2. Remove Ads

I agree with the points brought up so far:

1. Look into some type of self defense training, perhaps utilizing your crutches as weapons, but most definitely utilizing your upper body strength.
    2. Learn to shoot from grounded and/or retention positions (i.e. on your back, side, stomach or perhaps as if you were being charged and held up close and personal)..
    3. Learn to us BOTH your hands in firing your weapon...BOTH hands.

PM inbound to you...
    Bark'n likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I would think you are right! By choosing where you fall you may find some protection or cover. but you may also take away any chance of maneuvering away. These tactics are going to be very personal to each, as your disability's and strengths are uniquely yours. Good luck DR
    Very much this. You mentioned that you have great upper body strength. As such, something akin to Grecko-Roman wrestling would be your forte. Shooting from a prone position as illustrated in the image below is extremely effective, as you have a natural brace to use, thus making your shots more stable. It's just a matter of practicing till you're comfortable with doing this. Pick up some "snap caps" to use for dry firing for practice, so you don't damage the firing pin in your gun. Practice, and also train not just for shooting from these various positions, but tapping and racking, clearing failures, and so forth. Train with a tactical/defensive mindset.

First Sgt and marcclarke like this.

StarPD45
    My wife sometimes uses those on her bad days. (Sometimes called Canadian crutches)
    As was mentioned above, some type of training. I came across the linked site below. I've browsed around in it a bit, and they have some training material, which may or may not help you. FWIW
    Cane Masters!, Walking Canes for mobility, self-defense, exercise and rehabilitation

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The video, Martial Cane Concepts, is an extremely good presentation of how to use cane for self-defense. These are not the ones which grab one's forearm, but I'll bet some of his ideas might be useful.

But the best thing to do would be to work one-on-one with a for-reals self-defense expert. If you're ever available to come to Christiansburg VA, I could recommend a very, very good Krav Maga instructor who might be able to tailor some stuff for you.

It's a shame "M" isn't handy to build a nice 12-gauge into your crutch...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    That would be "Q."

:)
    marcclarke likes this.

Administrator
    I'm assuming that you can move faster with 2 crutches than with only one.

Is there any way that you can rig up your strong side crutch so that when you jettison it you can still have it available?
    In other words so that it does not have to actually hit the ground placing it out of easy reach?
    Possibly have it attached with one of the retractable cords that scuba divers use so that they don't lose tools or equipment underwater.

Then you might also think about possibly attaching a custom made holster for a can of OC Spray right on the crutch directly beneath the handle.
    Something that will disguise the can but, will have an easy enough access so that you can grab it and quickly present & deploy it at the same time that you dump that crutch.

I am thinking that an option to surprise blind your attacker while you move off to the side while simultaneously drawing your defensive weapon might give you some real time advantage to get your firearm presented and onto your intended target.

I am thinking also that in your case a Crimson Trace Laser might also help to tip the odds in your favor because you are going to have quite enough to keep your mind occupied without having to line up your gun sights.

The Laser will allow you to to focus 100 percent of your attention on your intended target and you will not have to actually look at your firearm at all since (in effect) your front sight will BE directly on the threat in the form of a pulsing red dot.

That may prove to be especially useful if you should happen to get knocked down and are unable to do a normal or standard firearm presentation.

Hey...this is all new to me so I am just tossing random magnets at the refrigerator and seeing if any of them stick.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    What would be super cool would be to have a custom made breakaway right crutch with a safety & trigger on the handle that would fire one 12 gauge slug.
    The bottom half of the crutch would fall away and the top section would be a single shot shotgun.

But, what would that cost? It would be neat if some firearm designer would take the challenge.

It would be classed as an Any Other Weapon but, you could legally have it done if you were willing to toss enough money at the project.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    What would be super cool would be to have a custom made breakaway right crutch with a safety & trigger on the handle that would fire one 12 gauge slug.
    The bottom half of the crutch would fall away and the top section would be a single shot shotgun.

But, what would that cost? It would be neat if some firearm designer would take the challenge.

It would be classed as an Any Other Weapon but, you could legally have it done if you were willing to toss enough money at the project.
    This would be FANTASTIC! I'm sure it would make the crutch very heavy, if it could somehow be reinforced to withstand firing a shot. Unfortunately, if my employer (Fortune 500 company) ever found out, I'm sure they would throw a fit, and I would lose my job. They already have anti-weapon signs plastered on every door entering the building.

Administrator
    Were I you I still would only "go to the ground" as a final option. I am sort of "real world" based and so I never hand out charitable feelgoodisms. I'm happy to see that you're not looking for any of those anyway and are looking for real world solutions.
    I like the fact that you're being completely honest with yourself w/ regard to having seriously weighed your advantages as VS your disadvantages.
    Your superior upper body strength is an advantage.
    You also have a Disparity Of Force advantage in the eyes of the law.
    Since you cannot easily "flee," retreat, or fight a "traditional brawl...out of necessity to protect your life you are required to put an end to any potentially deadly altercation quickly and decisively.

You might want to get a few simple martial arts techniques into your "war bag" that can maximize the use of your upper body strength.

Your mindset is good. That's a plus and so is your desire to want to think outside the box in order to determine some best methods for self-preservation.

Naturally many of us are not living your exact personal situation so "speaking for myself" I can only offer up various assorted suggestions but, only you can decide if anything may or may not be applicable to you.

Have you considered clipping an Emerson Wave style knife to your support side pocket? Or possibly one in both front pockets. They are RAPID one hand deployment knives that may prove highly useful should Plan A not go according to plan.

Also...have you attempted doing any mock drills where a friend or partner can do things like try to grab you from behind or attempt to accost you or rob you in a frontal attack?

Doing that could be educational. And if there is a martial arts person in your area that is really familiar with traditional 'Stick Fighting' you may be able to get some tips on how to use a crutch as a quick killing tool.

All human bodies (even young, virile, perfectly healthy ones) have weak and highly vulnerable areas. Your advantage is that you are aware of yours and are compensating for it in other ways.

But, you need to over compensate in order to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Even if you had the proper paperwork it might still be illegal to carry due to your State laws. In my State I can own a sword or gun cane but I cannot carry one on the street. In my State at least there are many weapons that I may legally own but am prohibited by State law from carrying outside my home.

Michael

There are fanny packs that are made to conceal weapons. I think a fanny pack specifically designed for CC would be a viable option.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My Great grandmother carried or owned a "cane gun" from the early 1900s till the 1960s when they became illegal here in CA. Hers used a .410 shotgun shell. When you removed the tip a trigger dropped out of the grip. Someone in the family still has it but none of them are talking.

Kind of like these.

Google Image Result for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_59GYpEVAu0U/TR7D7CijU8I/AAAAAAAAAsc/j5u5N5Pm6Yk/s1600/cane-gun.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.funforever.net/wp-content/gun_34.jpg

Remington Cane Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    It's a shame "M" isn't handy to build a nice 12-gauge into your crutch...

as GlassWolf pointed out in an earlier post (#21), the gadget guy is "Q". "M" is the boss.

one suggestion that i don't think anyone has made to you yet, is to consider carrying two guns. in your situation, reloading is likely to be more difficult than it would be for most folks whose mobility is unimpaired, and reloading quickly also requires two unencumbered arms/hands as well as access to the reload.

having a second weapon would also give you a choice in accessing a weapon, should one be harder to reach because you were on the ground, or couldn't use one arm, or whatever. i would recommend having the guns in different places and where you can get to at least one gun regardless of which hand you use.

you would also need to practice accessing and shooting with either hand.

high capacity weapons would also be a good choice. such as a 15+1 Glock 19.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links